Can cats digest bones?

Old November 29th 03, 07:15 AM
Alan Sandoval

Crap snipped.

And I'll repeat my challenge: If anyone has ever had a cat suffer harm
as a result of eating a cooked chicken bone, please post. I still
think we'll get no reponses. It doesn't happen because it's an old
wives tale, probably created by extrapolation from dogs, for whom it
probably *is* dangerous.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Anyone here who wants to test their beloved pet in a challenge over whether
cooked (and admitedly brittle) bones are safe for their cat, or dog for that
matter, sign up here.

If I were you I'd sure post a bogus email address too!

Cats eat raw birds. So do dogs, with no known ill effects.

If you have leftover KFC or any other kind of fried food it's better off in
the trash. Animals (including humans) aren't built to eat lots of that
stuff. If you insist on giving this to your pet you can at least strip off
the edible parts and toss the bones where the animail won't be put at risk
of finding them.

Yes, I am ****ed about giving animals food that isn't intended for them. My
father thought it was "cute" that his dogs liked ice cream, hamburgers,
candy and all other sorts of things that in the end killed them. His idea
of a good time was tossing candy down the hallway and having our loved dog
retrieve it and eat it. When she became diabetic he acted dumb about the
whole thing.

Dogs get dog food. Cats get cat food. If you give your pet anything else
that is not approved by the general conventions of veteranary medicine you
sure aren't doing them any favors. In over 30 years of keeping my own pets
I've never, ever given any of them table scraps. And you know what? All my
animal friends have thrived.

My 'pets' are my friends and companions. They are not circus clowns made to
beg for their food at the dinner table.

Maybe too harsh a response, but I have really strong feelings about this
issue.

Alan