Help

Old August 29th 03, 07:38 AM
Tanada

Default Help

"jen.d" wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can help. Muggles has turned mean. Very mean. He's
attacking Kid and I don't know why and I've tried to handle it for nearly 2
months and it continues. She does nothing, she just sits there, lays there,
or runs away when he goes all weird and then he attacks her and sometimes
she doesn't run away. It's to the point I cannot leave them unsupervised or
home alone together.

Can you try re-introducing them? Separating them for a while and
gradually getting them together again? Is Muggles mean with you? He
may need kitty prozac. I think I'd talk with TED about it and see what
he says, and then re-introduce them as part of his treatment. Whatever
you decide to do, the kitties are purring and we're sending relaxing
thoughts towards Muggles.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old August 29th 03, 12:55 PM
polonca12000

I have no ideas unfortunately, except maybe keeping him in a room by himself
for a while after he attacks Kid.
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"jen.d" wrote in message
. ca...
I'm wondering if anyone can help. Muggles has turned mean. Very mean.

He's
attacking Kid and I don't know why and I've tried to handle it for nearly

2
months and it continues. snip

Old August 29th 03, 02:48 PM
fuga =^o^=

Fuga was mounting and trying to mate Java 20 times a day. I went in and I
spoke to the vet about what options were available. She told me that we
needed to separate Fuga and Java and slowly re-introduce them. We kept them
separate for about 4 days. Java started getting depressed and thought that
she was being punished so we stopped.

Basically we kept rotating the room she was in and would keep her away from
fuga, so sometimes she was locked in the office and sometimes she had access
to the whole apartment.

Eventually fuga's behaviour stopped and anytime it started we isolated him
for about 15 min to 1 hour. Now he only goes after Java about once a
week..

My vet told us that as soon as a problem behaviour arises you have to do
something about it quickly.. otherwise it become more difficult to break.
Good luck.. I will keep my fingers crossed that Muggles settles down
quickly. I hope he's not suffering too much from megacolon.

Fuga

Old August 29th 03, 03:16 PM
Marina

"jen.d" wrote
I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I wish I could help, but I can only send
Muggles-calm-down-and-leave-Kid-alone purrs, so lots of those and a scritch
to poor Kid.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old August 29th 03, 03:52 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Maybe Feliway would help?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 29th 03, 10:36 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:07:30 GMT, "jen.d" wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can help. Muggles has turned mean. Very mean. He's
attacking Kid and I don't know why and I've tried to handle it for nearly 2
months and it continues. She does nothing, she just sits there, lays there,
or runs away when he goes all weird and then he attacks her and sometimes
she doesn't run away. It's to the point I cannot leave them unsupervised or
home alone together.

He knows what he's doing is bad. He gets a funny squeak and I break them
up, but he gets spooked cause he knows what he's doing is bad and he runs
away with his ears back. Sometimes I don't break them up in time and I yell
"NO" and he runs away all scared like -- so he knows better but he's been
doing this for like two months. He gets the spray bottle or "NO" and he
still continues doing this.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to permanently drug him, he's fixed of
course and so is she, they've been together all their lives (they're both 2)
and Rescue Remedy doesn't work on him. I'm going to order feliway now I've
tried Rescue remedy but if that doesn't work I don't know what to do. Right
now I cannot afford a behaviorist (even if it would work for a dumb cat),
and he's recently had all his tests done with that bowel thing (he's been
fine for over a month) and tests all turned up regular. On top of all of
this, he is totally stupid.

This change started when he came back from the vets (his megacolon) and Kid
hissed at him for a few days. She's fine now, but he started being
aggressive and it hasn't gone away. He's always kind of not left her alone
and gotten weird with her sometimes (like when she's in the litterbox and
sometimes in summer when he humps her) but he's never been this agressive,
never like this. She's not doing anything to him, just minding her own
business (until he attacks her, then she screams). I really need help
suggestions of things I can try, because Kid can't have this she has enough
problems as it is. This is not normal play.

Jen.

I am not an expert, but I read that neutering does not take away the
desire -- only the ability especially in male cats. It sounds like s
frustrated kitty. Keeping him away from her seems to be the best
idea.
Old August 29th 03, 10:59 PM
Daniel Mahoney

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

I am not an expert, but I read that neutering does not take away the
desire -- only the ability especially in male cats. It sounds like s
frustrated kitty. Keeping him away from her seems to be the best
idea.

Or perhaps, as someone else has sugggested, talking to the vet
about kitty prozac. If administered in careful doses, it doesn't
have to make the kitty sluggish.

Dan

Old August 29th 03, 11:17 PM
Brenda Watkins

"jen.d" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

we're sending lots of special calming purrs to Muggles.
Brenda

Old August 30th 03, 01:30 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:36:24 -0600, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, but don't have any constructive suggestions - unless he
might be on some meds after he's earlier troubles. I wouldn't have
even thought of this if I hadn't just posted a reply to the thread
dealing with flagyl (metronidazole). That got me to remembering that
one of the possible side effects of flagyl is confusion and
irritability. Another possibility is a change in diet - I know I can
be a bit touchy when on a diet ;-) Whatever the cause, I agree with
those who are suggesting a temporary separation, as you don't want him
to learn any bad habits which might continue after the cause is gone.
Old August 30th 03, 08:06 PM
jen.d

Can you try re-introducing them? Separating them for a while and
gradually getting them together again? Is Muggles mean with you?

Not mean with anyone other than Kid (fine with me, Jinks, and Pete), and
he's not consistently mean with her either - sometimes he's very nice to
her.

He
may need kitty prozac. I think I'd talk with TED about it and see what
he says, and then re-introduce them as part of his treatment. Whatever
you decide to do, the kitties are purring and we're sending relaxing
thoughts towards Muggles.

I definitely want to stay away from the drugs if possible (he has had
Elavil, which is the prozac, once before). But if reintroducing doesn't
work, then that might be what we have to do. I sure hope not...

Jen.