moving on up

Old April 25th 05, 03:51 PM

Default moving on up

In the last two days I have decided on the Graduate school to attend in
September and DH and I have bought a house. Yes, it has been a crazy 2
days. My question is on how to introduce the Simba and Pepper to a new
house. Both cats have lived in our current townhouse since they were
11 weeks old. The townhouse is two levels, has a staircase, is
carpeted and is in a semi-rural area. The new house is VERY different.
The house is one level, so it has no stairs. It also has NO carpet.
The floors are all wood or tile. The new house is also close to the
campus I will be attending, so it is in a more crowded "downtown" type
area. I am a little concerned because both Simba and Pepper have been
indoor only at the townhouse for 2 years and it is all they know. They
will still be indoor only, but the house is so different it has the
potential to upset them. DH and I plan on moving all the furniture and
boxes first and then the cats in a second trip. Is it best to put them
in a small room at first? Let them get accustomed to the smell of the
new house and then slowly introduce new areas?

This past weekend DH and I were also gone to visit relatives over
night. When we returned home it was obvious both boys had missed us.
Pepper spent all night glued to my ankles. I mention this because
usually when DH and I return from an overnight the boys look at us as
if to say "you were gone...Oh, we hardly noticed". Its nice to be
appreciated
~Jemfur, Simba and Pepper.

Old April 25th 05, 05:16 PM
dopekitty

[...]

Congratulations on the new house and the coming education! You've got
the right idea. The furniture that they are used to and has accustomed
smells will help, and the small room at first is an excellent idea. Is
there an adequate way to keep them away from the outside doors so they
don't dash on you? Something else you might like to try is a bach's
rescue remedy diffuser, i've heard they're great for calming stressed cats.

Kristy
Old April 25th 05, 06:03 PM
Victor Martinez

Congrats on the house and school!
When we moved from our tiny apartment to our house, the girls had no
trouble adjusting at all. They did spend the first 12 hours with their
tails up in the air (just like lemurs) smelling everything.
One thing I would suggest is moving them to the new house and lock them
in one room while the moving is going on. That way there is no risk that
they will be left out accidentally.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 25th 05, 06:56 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:03:43 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

Congrats on the house and school!
When we moved from our tiny apartment to our house, the girls had no
trouble adjusting at all. They did spend the first 12 hours with their
tails up in the air (just like lemurs)

Wheeeeee! Lemurs!
http://www.gothamist.com/images/2004_12_lemur.jpg

Theresa
Old April 25th 05, 10:43 PM
tanada

In the last two days I have decided on the Graduate school to attend in
September and DH and I have bought a house. Yes, it has been a crazy 2
days. My question is on how to introduce the Simba and Pepper to a new
house. Both cats have lived in our current townhouse since they were
11 weeks old. The townhouse is two levels, has a staircase, is
carpeted and is in a semi-rural area. The new house is VERY different.

Can't add much to the already excellent advice given here, except to say
that you have the right ideas. Just want to tell you congrats on
getting into Graduate school and on getting a new house. Your next few
months are going to be full, to say the least. Please keep us informed
on how everything is going.

The worst part of moving our clowder to our present house (and in fact
for every move) was the actual act of moving them. Pine Cone is
terrified of vehicles and infected the other cats so that they were all
singing their versions of "Please Release Me" all three miles of the
trip. Those three miles felt like 300 by the time we'd transported them
over. Not much we could do about it, other than have their spot ready
and fresh food and water ready for them.

After they hid out under our bed for a few hours, they all, except
Merlin, went exploring the new digs and found them good. I suspect that
your cats will do the same. Non carpeted floors offer their own
possibilities for racing and exploration. Not having stairs is a
momentary set back. Having long halls is a bonus on the kitty 500
speedway. Expect them to get all kinds of zoomies and wiggy. Have fun
and don't worry. Cats are much more adaptable than they want us to think.

Pam S. who's BTDT
Old April 25th 05, 10:54 PM
Mishi

Let them get accustomed to the smell of the new house and then slowly
introduce new areas?

Hi Jemfur!

When we moved to our house from our mobile home, we brought our cats here
first and put them in the upstairs bathroom (all 11 of them - large
bathroom, thank Bast!) We locked the door and put a do not enter sign on it,
and then concentrated on moving our stuff. After we got finished bringing
stuff in we opened the door so they could come out and investigate. Nyota,
Siobhan, Brianna, Ishtar, Squeek and Biddy aka the girls were out in a
flash, tails up and ready to rumble! 3 of the boys - Maus, Dweazel and
Tanglefoot slunk out of the room like something was going to attack them.
The other 2 - Jeremy and Pixel - refused to come out for almost a full day.
(Such brave boys! G) It really depends on the cat how long it is going to
take for them to adjust.

Good luck with the move!
Patti

Old April 26th 05, 01:49 AM
Enfilade

Congrats on the house and school!
When we moved from our tiny apartment to our house, the girls had no
trouble adjusting at all. They did spend the first 12 hours with their
tails up in the air (just like lemurs)

Our crew moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia and settled into the new
apartment within a few hours. All their furniture was here...they
were more comfortable in their first minutes here than they were in
the old apartment with no furniture in it (the furniture went by
truck three weeks before us, the cats, and a few army-bags of survival
gear like a cooking pot and a sleeping bag arrived)

--Fil
Old April 26th 05, 03:26 AM
badwilson

Enfilade wrote:
Congrats on the house and school!
When we moved from our tiny apartment to our house, the girls had

no
trouble adjusting at all. They did spend the first 12 hours with
their tails up in the air (just like lemurs)

Our crew moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia and settled into the new
apartment within a few hours. All their furniture was here...they
were more comfortable in their first minutes here than they were in
the old apartment with no furniture in it (the furniture went by
truck three weeks before us, the cats, and a few army-bags of

survival
gear like a cooking pot and a sleeping bag arrived)

--Fil

When we moved to Thailand with Vino from Vancouver, he was very
uncomfortable in the old condo with all the furniture gone. We spent
the last night on an air mattress on the floor with only a few
suitcases that we were taking. Vino didn't like it at all and kept
patrolling the place looking for his stuff.
When we got to Thailand, we were in a hotel for a week or 2 and he
settled in fast. Then we moved to a 2 bedroom apartment and he
settled in right away as well. 6 months later we moved into a 3
bedroom house with stairs (which he had never seen before) and he was
at home right away there too.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old April 27th 05, 01:08 AM
Elise

[...]

Congrats! We moved in February from a fully carpeted three room
apartment to a house three times the size with hardwood & tile floors
throughout. I brought the cats to the house on moving day morning and
set us up in one small room. we used a pet/child gate across the
doorway just in case they freaked out when I opened the door to go in or
out.
Only DH & I were allowed in the room and the cats weren't let out of the
room until the bed & couch (futon) were reassembled, assorted blankets &
comforters were strewn about them and everyone else had left.

Jeeves, who is usually the most skittish, was quite brave in exploring.
Gossamer was extremely timid and had to be carried upstairs to bed
with us the first night. They both seemed comforted/reassured by having
the familiar furniture and some familiar smelling stuff in each room.

They were both pretty well settled in and used to all the different
noises and such by the end of the first week.

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics:

Old April 27th 05, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the support and advice! I think if we put them in the spare
bedroom and block the door it should be OK. Then when the move is done
they can come out and explore at their own pace. It should be funny to
watch them learn to run on wood floors instead of carpeting :P

~Jemfur and the boyz