How do you explain a cat?

Old August 31st 03, 11:27 AM

Default How do you explain a cat?

Jill McQuown wrote:

... to a non-cat person?

Do you have a video camera? Maybe you could tape her doing some of her
more fascinating activities.

He doesn't see her carry her flea collar to the back door as an
indication she wants to go out to her Kitty Walk.

That's adorable. And Ray should be able to appreciate that one - it's
just what a dog would do!

Joyce
Old September 1st 03, 12:37 AM
JHBennett

"Jill McQuown" wrote in message
... to a non-cat person?

My fiance, Ray, is a non-cat person. He's a (hunting) dog person. He
doesn't understand just how cute, clever, even diabolical they can be. He
doesn't live with me, so he sees a grey furry thing wandering around and
occasionally meowing. He does not see the attempts to get cans of Fancy
Feast from the pantry without my assistance. He doesn't see her carry her
flea collar to the back door as an indication she wants to go out to her
Kitty Walk. He doesn't see her turn paper bags and empty toilet paper

rolls
into play-toys. She's always on her best behavior when he's here.

I told him about the time she scooted the coupon for the kitty litter she
likes best over to the litter box, when I was (apparently) using an

inferior
brand. He didn't believe me. (sigh)

Dogs are smart; cats are creative. How do you explain that to someone who
is never around cats?

Jill

Oh sure, dogs are simple minded creatures, honest and straightforward,
without a diabolical thought in their loyal head. Like the time Ginger was
up on my lap, at the table, when Rattler came in from outside, and bit her
tail as he walked by. She yelped and whirlled aronnd, glairing at him,
while he strode on, never looking back, as though nothing had ever happened.
Not creative either, like the time dad lost track of where she was (he was
losing his sight) and called to her. Ginger reached out a paw to tap him on
the shoulder and let him know she was standing on his workbench.
The thing of it is, pets, both dogs and cats, will amaze us with the
enexpected things they can come up with. After all, they do have a lot of
time to observe us and think things out.
About the best I can offer, by way of explaining a cat to a dog person,
is to make the case that a cat is a stuningly agile creation with a puppy
attitude.
As for being on her best behavior, when your fiance is there, sounds
like the little flirt is leading him on. By gad, she is smart, isn't she
;-)
Cheers,
Jack