dragon boat race

Old June 27th 05, 02:04 AM
W. Leong

Default dragon boat race

There are recent dragon boat races in Vancouver and Ottawa.
Dragon boat race is an ancient Chinese tradition that is gaining
popularity.

I am wondering is it popular in other parts of the world besides
Asia and Canada?

--
Winnie

Old June 27th 05, 02:42 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-27, W. Leong penned:
There are recent dragon boat races in Vancouver and Ottawa. Dragon
boat race is an ancient Chinese tradition that is gaining
popularity.

I am wondering is it popular in other parts of the world besides
Asia and Canada?

I haven't seen them, but I know I've heard of them in this area
(Colorado) ...

Ah, here's something (although I thought there was also one in
Boulder) ...

http://www.coloradodragonboat.org/

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 27th 05, 02:53 AM
Tish

Oh yes - very popular in Australia. We have a large southeast Asian
and Chinese (and decendants) population and both dragonboat racing and
Chinese New Year have become very popular amongst the general populace
(Chinese and otherwise). Dragonboat racing is considered a serious,
although small, sport here and get some TV coverage.

Tish

Old June 27th 05, 09:44 AM
Debbie Wilson

W. Leong wrote:

There are recent dragon boat races in Vancouver and Ottawa.
Dragon boat race is an ancient Chinese tradition that is gaining
popularity.

I am wondering is it popular in other parts of the world besides
Asia and Canada?

Oh yes - it goes on quite a lot in the UK, particularly on the Thames
around London, and usually as a charity fund-raising event. Pretty
exciting and spectacular!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old June 27th 05, 04:42 PM
Christine K.

W. Leong wrote:
There are recent dragon boat races in Vancouver and Ottawa.
Dragon boat race is an ancient Chinese tradition that is gaining
popularity.

I am wondering is it popular in other parts of the world besides
Asia and Canada?

They've had them at least a few times in Helsinki, but I can't remember
when the last time was now that I've lived in Vantaa for some 7 years.
Maybe Marina remembers the races held in the vincinity of Hakaniemi.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 27th 05, 06:29 PM
Denise VanDyke

W. Leong wrote:
There are recent dragon boat races in Vancouver and Ottawa.
Dragon boat race is an ancient Chinese tradition that is gaining
popularity.

I am wondering is it popular in other parts of the world besides
Asia and Canada?

They are a tradition now in Portland, Oregon during the annual Rose
Festival (early June). I think the first dragon boat over here may have
come from a Sister City in Japan. Not sure, though.

- Denise Brennasmeowmy in Salem, Oregon

Old June 27th 05, 08:06 PM
Susan M

We've been having dragon boat races in Calgary for years ... more from
Canada!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

news

Old June 28th 05, 12:57 AM
Larry

In Washington DC there is a big race (two days) in the spring. There is
also a club which has maybe 3 boats on the anacostia river.

--
Larry - Owned by nine cats

Old June 28th 05, 03:38 AM
badwilson

Susan M wrote:
We've been having dragon boat races in Calgary for years ... more

from
Canada!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Yeah, they always have them in Vancouver, but then that's a given ;-)
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown