Cat Advice wanted

Old September 13th 03, 11:36 AM
Heather-SCOTGIRL

Default Cat Advice wanted

I have an older cat about 10 years old and she has got fleas which she =
got from the dog I believe.I just wanted to know long term health =
effects a flea infestation would have

but she doesn't seem too bothered with them and I have now got a flea =
collar on.

Whats the best thing to do?=20
--=20

Thanks Heather
(if replying direct, remove spam trap)
--=20
win sweets & more ...yummeee
http://www.winsweets.co.uk/?ref=3Dscotgirl

Old September 13th 03, 11:55 AM
MaryL

--

Thanks Heather
(if replying direct, remove spam trap)
--
win sweets & more ...yummeee
http://www.winsweets.co.uk/?ref=scotgirl

Yes, fleas can be detrimental to your cat's health. They can be hosts for
parasites such as tapeworms, and many cats develop dermatitis and show other
allergic reactions to them. Flea collars are ineffective and are sometimes
dangerous; some cats have allergic reactions to the collars. Above all, do
not use Hartz Mountain flea and tick drops. It has been associated with a
number of severe reactions, including death. The general consensus is that
Advantage and Frontline are the best products to use. They are available
from your veterinarian or online, they are effective and fairly fast-acting,
and only need to be applied once a month. Depending on the degree of
infestation, you also may need to treat the cat's environment -- if it is an
indoor cat, that means treating the cat's bedding, furniture in the home,
carpeting, etc. Be sure to empty the vacuum bag immediately after using it
to get rid of any fleas or eggs. Although I would never use a flea collar
on my cats, it can be helpful to cut one in small pieces and place some in
the vacuum bag or cannister to help destroy any fleas that may be left in
the bag. It is important to get rid of the eggs because they can hatch over
a long period of time.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old September 13th 03, 12:13 PM
Sandra Loosemore

"Heather-SCOTGIRL" writes:

I have an older cat about 10 years old and she has got fleas which
she got from the dog I believe.I just wanted to know long term
health effects a flea infestation would have but she doesn't seem
too bothered with them and I have now got a flea collar on.

Whats the best thing to do?

Fleas carry tapeworm larvae, and flea bites are the way cats get
tapeworms. Severely flea-bitten cats can also develop anemia from the
blood loss. Best thing to do is to take both cat and dog to the vet
for flea and tapeworm treatment, and flea-bomb your house and either
replace or thoroughly clean (e.g., in the washing machine) the pet
bedding.

-Sandra

Old September 13th 03, 01:28 PM
THE BIG GUY

what ever you do do not use HARTZ flea control......several hundred cats
have had very bad reactions or died from these

Old September 13th 03, 01:28 PM
THE BIG GUY

Old September 13th 03, 01:28 PM
THE BIG GUY