Ping Phil - PSS cat and surgery/pain meds

Old May 8th 05, 12:26 AM
KellyH

Default Ping Phil - PSS cat and surgery/pain meds

My PSS cat Ana had surgery yesterday, she swallowed a piece of plastic (see
Scary episode and the update).
She is on Bupronex for pain, which she received 3 doses at 0.2 ml today.
She weighs 10 lbs. I am concerned about how her liver is processing this,
and the anesthesia from the surgery. I'm not certain what type of
anesthetic she received. Her vet is aware of the PSS condition, however a
vet who does not normally see her was on today.
The last time I know for sure that she ate well is Wed. She ate a small
amount of a/d today at the vet's. Ana is home now and I tried to interest
her in her normal food, but she's pretty out of it.

Thanks for your help.

--
-Kelly

Old May 8th 05, 12:42 PM
Phil P.

"KellyH" wrote in message
My PSS cat Ana had surgery yesterday, she swallowed a piece of plastic

(see
Scary episode and the update).
She is on Bupronex for pain, which she received 3 doses at 0.2 ml today.

By which route, IM. SC or PO? What is the dose strength (mg/ml) .3 mg/ml?

She weighs 10 lbs. I am concerned about how her liver is processing this,
and the anesthesia from the surgery.

Remember, most of the blood is by-passing the liver, so, drugs that are
metabolized in the liver (e.g., Buprenex) will remain in her system much
longer.

I'm not certain what type of
anesthetic she received. Her vet is aware of the PSS condition, however a
vet who does not normally see her was on today.

Which vet prescribed the PM?

The last time I know for sure that she ate well is Wed. She ate a small
amount of a/d today at the vet's. Ana is home now and I tried to interest
her in her normal food, but she's pretty out of it.

Keep checking her temperature. PSS cats often go hypothermic (and sometimes
hypoglycemic). Did the vet tell you to keep her warm or check her BG?

Thanks for your help.

cc your reply to my email addy, I'll be on a moble laptop most of the day
and don't see many NG messages.

Phil

Old May 8th 05, 01:36 PM
KellyH

"Phil P." wrote
By which route, IM. SC or PO? What is the dose strength (mg/ml) .3 mg/ml?

Whichever one of those options is orally Strength is .3mg/ml.

Which vet prescribed the PM?

Her regular vet (our shelter vet) who knows about her condition, so I am
assuming it is safe, I'm just a nervous mom.

Keep checking her temperature. PSS cats often go hypothermic (and
sometimes
hypoglycemic). Did the vet tell you to keep her warm or check her BG?

The discharging vet didn't say to keep her warm, but I figured I should do
that anyway. She's in the bathroom, which when you keep the door closed
when the heat is on (yes, I have the heat on here, friggin' weather) gets
toasty.
BG- blood gluclose? No, wasn't told to check that.

Ana looks MUCH better this morning. She ate all of the wet food I left for
her overnight (about 1 1/2 tblsp), and when I brought her more food, she
started in on that. Last night before bed, I syringed in some water and
food mixture which seemed to perk her up. This AM she sat up when I
entered, moved around, and had urine in her box. I think she's going to
come out of this OK.

Thanks for your help!
--
-Kelly