Arthritis?

Old May 24th 05, 08:05 PM

Default Arthritis?

We had a bit of a scare over Ruf on Sunday. When we got up Sunday
morning, he didn't do his routine stuff. He didn't eat, he didn't
have a drink of water, he didn't want to get up on the desk while I
did my blood test (I'm diabetic). He _did_ ask to go out to eat some
grass, so I picked him up (as usual) and we went out to the lawn. He
ate just a little and seemed uncomfortable. When I picked him up to
come back in, he complained a good bit. Running my hand down his
back, he seemed very sensitive to the fourth or fifth vertabrae before
the tail. I checked it again a couple of hours later and he still
made noise about my touching it - and still hadn't eaten.

We had to go out of town for a luncheon. When we got back at around 4
PM, he was still lying low, but he had eaten some and had used his
litter box. Monday morning all was well. He did all his usual
things and was even frisky in the afternoon.

I suspect that he had a twinge of arthritis in his back. He's a large
cat (21 lbs, 9 oz at his last vet's visit) and aging (12 years). Any
confirmation or denial of my analysis?

--
My cat and I are very much alike: we're both gray, we're both fat,
and we both dig in his litter box.

Old May 25th 05, 12:18 AM
blkcatgal

Your best bet to confirm your suspicions is to take Ruf to the vet and have
him examined. My cat (also a large boy) developed arthritis in his back
that became so severe over time that it resulted in a spinal compression
which had to be corrected with major back surgery. If it is arthritis, you
can get him on a glucosomine supplement like Cosequin (even though the
research I've done says glucosomine really doesn't help spinal arthritis).
But it certainly can't hurt.

S.