Prescription oddities for Frontline flea control

Old May 11th 04, 01:09 AM
David Yehudah

Default Prescription oddities for Frontline flea control

Probably just another way to squeeze a few bucks out of the customers.
Frontline was prescription only here in the US when it first came out,
apparently for the sole purpose of charging for examining the critters.
I mean, it's a flea medicine, for crying out loud. How could someone
possibly abuse it? I buy it from Australia, and it's cheaper than I can
get the same brand for here in California.

Most human medicines are by prescription only for the same reason; so
the doctors can control the supply and soak the patients for more money.
I can see controlling narcotics to keep them out of the hands of
children, but there is little or no reason for not making most
prescription drugs OTC. Of course, then there would be some honest
competition among brands and the drug companies could not continue
making their obscene profits.

Richard wrote:

I have 2 moggies, both female and very affectionate. Both from a cat shelter
after languishing there for over 4 months. So very appreciative of their new
home and yes, I spoil them rotten. Both sleep on my bed at night (and in the day
if they can).

Today I tried to buy both Frontline for flea control and Drontal for worm
control. 2 different vet surgeries refused to supply without sighting the cats
(involving an examination fee, of course). Both said the medication is
prescription only. I suggested that these 2 little things had suffered enough
stress and I refused to bring them into the surgery. So no medication.

After a quick trawl on the Net this evening, I have bought both medicines from
an Australian pharmacy/supplier. No questions asked, no prescription. I could
have bought them from the United States, but surprisingly Australia was just as
cheap and could airfreight at very reasonable cost (11 Aus Dollars).

Can someone tell me why there are these restrictions in the UK?
Is it really the law?
or is it a ruse to maintain a monopoly over the supply?

--
Welshmen like to sing, but to me it sounds as if someone is jumping from
a high place into a bathtub full of frogs. And every time I stepped out

Old May 11th 04, 01:26 AM
Gracecat

I agree with David. It is a flea treatment, and the vets were being a bit
over the top there.

But... stress aside, is that the only reason you aren't taking them to the
clinic? I don't think you'll find much sympathy here if that's the excuse.
They need their routine check-ups. In the US, when you go through the proper
channels and adopt a pet from a rescue foundation, there are papers proving
that the animal has been checked from head to toe and in most cases
neutered. Perhaps if you have these forms insuring their health, the vet
would agree to the necessary medications.

You may feel like you're doing them a favor, but they need exams once a year
to maintain health. Cats are infamous for hiding illnesses until they're
literally on death's doorstep.

Grace

Old May 11th 04, 08:35 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Can someone tell me why there are these restrictions in the UK?

Dunno

Is it really the law?

Both Drontal & Frontline are indeed prescription only in England & Wales (Dunno
about in Scotland - Jette will probably be able to confirm).

or is it a ruse to maintain a monopoly over the supply?

Possibly, possibly not. Over here you can't buy antibiotics OTC and I can
understand that completely. As for the wormers & flea meds, I'm unsure as to
*why* they should be prescription only. There's various ones you can get OTC,
but they seem to be the less effective ones. My understanding (anmd I could be
wrong) is that in some other parts of the EU, Frontline at least is available
OTC.

Perhaps a vet visit would be a good idea - an all-round check-up on them, if
they've been in a shelter for such a long time, may well be in order - and the
stress of such a visit is limited in duration.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 11th 04, 11:53 AM
~*Connie*~

Im in the US, and over here both are still generally considered a
prescription item. Frontline mostly because the company wants to control
how it is dispensed. When it first came out they weren't 100% sure of the
side effects, and everyone was told to use gloves when putting it on, and
not to touch the pet for 24 hours.. but now that it has been in use for so
long, they have found almost no side effects, and it is becoming more and
more available OTC. In fact, one of the local pet stores carries it.
Merial will only sell to vets, so any product you buy that isn't from
directly from one, came from someone who bought in bulk and sold to outside
sources.

As for the Drontal.. it is a dewormer, and Im sure they are concerned about
overdosing.

Getting your kitties to a vet every year or two is a good idea.. make sure
they are in good health, and if they go outside, then to make sure they get
their vaccines. (around here, the rabies vx is required by law) Also, if
they are older, they start recommending every 6 months so you can head off
issues such as thyroid, diabetes, and other old age problems.

Old May 13th 04, 09:13 PM
Jette Goldie

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Can someone tell me why there are these restrictions in the UK?

Dunno

Is it really the law?

Both Drontal & Frontline are indeed prescription only in England & Wales

(Dunno
about in Scotland - Jette will probably be able to confirm).

As far as I know - never used the stuff because it is pure poison
to some of us........ if my cat was dosed with Frontline *I* could
end up in hospital! (I used to experience severe breathing
difficulties around my friend's cat when it was dosed - and
that was when I was only in the vicinity for a short time)

Anyway, Apache and Dakota are indoor only cats and have
never had a flea infection of any kind.

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota