Just a cute story

Old October 12th 05, 09:54 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 04:01:32 GMT, 223rem wrote:

wrote:
snip story about cat running loose outside

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her, keep her in a separate room
and bring her to the spay van when you bring your other cat. They can
shave her belly and check for a spay scar.

I dont know what I would do if my harmless, sweet indoor/outdoor cat would be
captured and her belly shaved by a some busybody neighborhood idiot.
I'm not a violent person, but when my family is harmed, all bets are off.

Sure, but let's be realistic. Your cat is much more likely to get hit
by a car than molested by a wandering cat rescuer.

Charlie
Old October 12th 05, 10:00 AM
-L.

Phil P. wrote:
wrote in message
I hope you have them checked scanned fo
a chip before you rehome them!

Any cats get routinely scanned for microchips.

Yet the only ID you told the OP to look for was ID tags... okey dokey.

Well, one can't immediately look for a microchip, can they? Unless
they carry a scanner around with them just incase they find a stray
cat...

In all the years since
they were first introduced I have yet to rescue a single cat that has a
microchip,
and in 28 years of rescue a total of only two cats were already fixed.
Sad Isn't it? Where I live the odds of winning the lottery are better
than finding a chip in a cat. If it was chipped of course the owner
would be contacted.

Considering the fact that I was specifically addressing unneutered cats
I didn't think I needed to mention anything WRT to microchips.

Why not? You just said you scan "any cat" *you* find, and you only found
two cats in "28 years" that were neutered. That sure implies that *you*
scanned
a lot of *intact* cats. Why then, did you not feel it was necessary to
mention getting the cat scanned if *you*, yourself scan "any" cat you find-
which includes a lot of *intact cats*? Just asking for clarification
because it sounds like bull**** to me.

If she's anything like me, the vet rountinely scans strays I bring in -
I forget to even mention it sometimes. They just do it. So I wouldn't
necessarily think to mention it in a thread like this, unless it popped
into my head. That doesn't mean I don't do it though, or rather, that
it isn't done. It's always done - intact cat or no. it's sort of SOP
for stray cats at most vets, AFAIK.

-L.

Old October 12th 05, 10:10 AM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

I forget to even mention it sometimes. They just do it. So I wouldn't
necessarily think to mention it in a thread like this, unless it popped
into my head. That doesn't mean I don't do it though, or rather, that
it isn't done.

I know. But since Megan likes to jump on petty points in my posts- I thought
I'd return the favor. ;-)

Phil

Old October 12th 05, 02:43 PM
cybercat

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:20:29 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

Welcome back, Meghan!! You have been missed.

Thanks. I needed a break from the group for awhile, so I just quit
reading.

Can't blame you there.

My crew's doing well, and we added another one.

I was just going to ask!

Back up to 4 cats and 2 dogs.

Wonderful! You know I need some pics!

Old October 12th 05, 10:34 PM
Tony P.

In article ,
us says...
Suddenly, without warning,
exclaimed (11-Oct-05 8:07 PM):
snip story about cat running loose outside

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her, keep her in a separate room
and bring her to the spay van when you bring your other cat. They can
shave her belly and check for a spay scar. If she doesn't have one they
can spay her along with the other cat and you will have done a great
service to cats everywhere by preventing more additions to an already
overpopulated world and some unnecessary deaths. You could then find her
home with a responsible person.

If there's no way to identify her as owned, don't worry about the
possibility she belongs somewhere. I have a rule that if a cat is
running loose with no ID and not neutered they are fair game for fixing
and rehoming. Obviously it's easier to know if a male is not neutered,
but shaving the belly of a cat that might have a home just to check for
a spay scar is no harm done.

I rescued a cat last week that fits this criteria. Running loose, no ID
and definitely has an infestation of earmites. I have her in a foster
home and she's going in tomorrow for testing and spay (if she doesn't
show evidence she has been spayed already.) Even if she was, she'll be
adopted out instead of going back on the street because whoever had her
didn't care enough about her to keep her identifiable, healthy and free
of mites.

I cannot in good conscience turn away from unneutered cats roaming
around. There are just too many cats already and millions dying, and
neutering even one cat makes a difference. You're lucky you have a spay
van where you live. We have no such thing in my city and don't have low
cost clinics, so you pay full price or it doesn't get done. It's a real
travesty and it's disgusting that our local humane society, who is one
of the richest in the country, has yet to implement any sort of
neutering program that could prevent a lot of unwanted births and
subsequent surrender of animals.

Megan

I hope you have them checked scanned for a chip before you rehome them!
I know some folks that consider collars on an outdoor cat to be
dangerous, but have them chipped so they *are* identifiable.

I'm not going to get into the indoor/outdoor debate, but I think that
with as many cats as are chipped these days, one should really have that
checked before assuming the cat's homeless!

jmc

I'd think that the fact the cat was sociable toward a human being meant
that someone obviously was owned by it.

Old October 13th 05, 09:33 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:34:48 -0400, Tony P.
wrote:

I'd think that the fact the cat was sociable toward a human being meant
that someone obviously was owned by it.

That would seem likely, but not always true.

Several years ago, my mom found an injured cat by the side of the
road. He been hit by a car. She took him to the vet. They gave him
some pain medication, and then tested him for dieseases to see if it
was even worth the effort to save him.

He had major head trauma, and was clearly a stray. Approximately 8
months old, only 6 lbs, and his build suggested a 9-10lb weight.

He tested okay, so the vet ahead and wired his broken jaw, swed up his
damaaged eye (definitely blinded, but hoping that it wouldn't have to
be surgically removed), and worked on his other issues. She also
neutered him at the same time.

During that waiting time, this cat, with serious head injuries, kept
pushing his head into my mom's hand. He was obviously a very friendly
cat.

Nobody claimed him, and we were very impressed with him, so we paid
the vet bill and brought him home. We tried to keep him secluded, but
that only lasted a day. He did not want to be locked away, so I put
him on my bed, and he was much happier.

He may have started out with a home, yet was already severely
underweight. He had to have been out on his own for awhile to have
lost that much weight.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old October 13th 05, 07:07 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:55:56 +0000, DAdriano wrote:

Sorry folks...just have to ramble a bit.

This morning, after walking my 1st grader to school, a neighborhood kitty
came up to me. She is a cute gray and white little thing that is just
absolutely adorable. When I was petting her she purred and put her little
paw up on my chest...like she was saying, "Oh please pet me more." It was
so adorable! So I went to pick her up and she jumped up on my shoulder
and started bumping her head into my ear. Unfortunately in my
neighborhood, there are a lot of people who just keep their cats outside.
It makes me feel bad for them because their owners don't pay any attention
to them. This little gray kitty runs up to me everytime I'm outside.

Why not invite her into your house for a meal? She may decide to stay.
MLB