I thought Boyfie was iill

Old September 18th 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I thought Boyfie was iill

He came in from the garden at lunchtime and soon went up to bed. He didn't
get up for his important 3.45 teatime.
All became clear when I opened the kitchen door later and saw part of a
collared dove wing on the doormat. He'd eaten the whole bird, beak, feet,
feathers and all!
So no more food for him today. He's had enough to keep him going until
tomorrow's breakfast ;-)

Tweed

Old September 19th 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
He came in from the garden at lunchtime and soon went up to bed. He
didn't get up for his important 3.45 teatime.
All became clear when I opened the kitchen door later and saw part of a
collared dove wing on the doormat. He'd eaten the whole bird, beak, feet,
feathers and all!
So no more food for him today. He's had enough to keep him going until
tomorrow's breakfast ;-)

Tweed

When I had indoor-outdoor cats, Lindy was quite the hunter. She'd always
bring her catch inside, sometimes while it was still alive. I used to keep
a "critter box" - an old shoebox - that I used to rescue them, or remove
carcasses.

When I found dead critters, the larger rodents - small rats or gophers -
were dead, but there were no indications of any eating. The mice were
eviscerated, which left quite a mess. With birds, all I found was a few
feathers, and occasionally a wing.

Joy

Old September 19th 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

On 9/18/2013 6:02 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

My first cat always used to bring her catches into the house, many times
I would come home from work and it would look like she'd carried out a
controlled detonation of Blue Jay in the living room, just feathers
everywhere.

--
Nik Simpson

Old September 19th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
He came in from the garden at lunchtime and soon went up to bed. He
didn't get up for his important 3.45 teatime. All became clear when I
opened the kitchen door later and saw part of a collared dove wing on
the doormat. He'd eaten the whole bird, beak, feet, feathers and all!
So no more food for him today. He's had enough to keep him going until
tomorrow's breakfast ;-)

Tweed

Sadly I find a half wing or a mound of feathers on the lawn if Sootie's
had a bird. If it's a mouse, just a little bit of innards, I don't know
which bit and think I'd rather not know.

Judith

It's the gall bladder which is bitter for them to eat, although Boyfie
rarely leaves it if he gets a mousie.

Old September 19th 13, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
He came in from the garden at lunchtime and soon went up to bed. He
didn't get up for his important 3.45 teatime.
All became clear when I opened the kitchen door later and saw part of a
collared dove wing on the doormat. He'd eaten the whole bird, beak,
feet, feathers and all!
So no more food for him today. He's had enough to keep him going until
tomorrow's breakfast ;-)

Tweed

When I had indoor-outdoor cats, Lindy was quite the hunter. She'd always
bring her catch inside, sometimes while it was still alive. I used to
keep a "critter box" - an old shoebox - that I used to rescue them, or
remove carcasses.

When Boyfie was young, he would often bring his catch inside alive, leading
to exciting chases to get young rats out from under the washing machine or
fridge.
Kitty FC eventually taught him the killing bite which is usually taught to
young cats by their mothers.
I'm not keen about him catching birds and he rarely does it now. He
normally can't be bothered. But collared doves can't take off quickly from
the ground and so he can't resist one if he has the chance.
He is, after all, a cat, born to be a hunter of birds and rodents and he
eats them (although I do take the young rats away from him if I can in case
of poison)
He usually brings his prey straight back to me, but I was not available to
accept his gift of the collared dove at the time so he ate it himself.

Tweed

Old September 19th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Nik Simpson wrote:

My first cat always used to bring her catches into the house, many times
I would come home from work and it would look like she'd carried out a
controlled detonation of Blue Jay in the living room, just feathers
everywhere.

--
Nik Simpson

I was awakened from a sound sleep one VERY early morning, with a
"squawk!" as a cat jumped on the bed, live bird in mouth. There then
ensued a wild chase throughout the house with a broomstick, bird
fluttering about the ceiling in panic, roosting on the blades of the
ceiling fan, refusing to be shooed out the open door. (If they MUST
bring prey home, I'd much prefer they kill it first - the "gift" is
easier to appreciate, that way.)
Old September 20th 13, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

He usually brings his prey straight back to me, but I was not available to
accept his gift of the collared dove at the time so he ate it himself.

He's a practical boy.

--
"...she tells with a little bit of humor the story of the song and the Jews
as they move from the Shtetls of Eastern Europe to Western Europe to America,
Old September 20th 13, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:04:50 PM UTC-4, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I was awakened from a sound sleep one VERY early morning, with a
"squawk!" as a cat jumped on the bed, live bird in mouth. There then
ensued a wild chase throughout the house with a broomstick, bird
fluttering about the ceiling in panic, roosting on the blades of the
ceiling fan, refusing to be shooed out the open door. (If they MUST
bring prey home, I'd much prefer they kill it first - the "gift" is
easier to appreciate, that way.)

I have a 'cat' book at home somewhere that explains it.

Apparently cats see us as their children, and therefore they bring us live critters, to teach us how to hunt. Unfortunately, we are especially stupid about it, and never learn, so finally our cats just take it upon themselves to feed us for the rest of our natural lives.

So....to our cats, we are really stupid children. LOL

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old September 20th 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

On 9/19/2013 4:04 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I was awakened from a sound sleep one VERY early morning, with a
"squawk!" as a cat jumped on the bed, live bird in mouth. There then
ensued a wild chase throughout the house with a broomstick, bird
fluttering about the ceiling in panic, roosting on the blades of the
ceiling fan, refusing to be shooed out the open door. (If they MUST
bring prey home, I'd much prefer they kill it first - the "gift" is
easier to appreciate, that way.)

I've chased recalcitrant birds, mice, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks,
rats, and lizards at all hours of the day and night ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old September 20th 13, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 03:01:36 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

He usually brings his prey straight back to me, but I was not available to
accept his gift of the collared dove at the time so he ate it himself.

He's a practical boy.

Wouldn't want it to go bad.