I thought Boyfie was iill

Old September 20th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default I thought Boyfie was iill

A friend of mine when recently asked if he'd had a good day told me "Nope..one of my effing cats chased a pigeon into my bedroom, shot under the bed with it then disemboweled it under the bed this was at 6.30 in the morning and I've spent the rest of the day getting blood stains off the underside of my mattress and removing pigeon guts from my bedroom from now on I am going to shut my bedroom door at night"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 20th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Nik Simpson wrote:

My first cat always used to bring her catches into the house, many
times I would come home from work and it would look like she'd
carried out a controlled detonation of Blue Jay in the living room,
just feathers everywhere.

-- Nik Simpson

I was awakened from a sound sleep one VERY early morning, with a
"squawk!" as a cat jumped on the bed, live bird in mouth. There then
ensued a wild chase throughout the house with a broomstick, bird
fluttering about the ceiling in panic, roosting on the blades of the
ceiling fan, refusing to be shooed out the open door. (If they MUST
bring prey home, I'd much prefer they kill it first - the "gift" is
easier to appreciate, that way.)

It certainly is.

Sophie (RB) who was not a hunter, once brought in a blackbird through the
patio door into the sitting-room. With said cat safely locked in the
kitchen, the chase began. Our sitting-room is not a normal one in that
there's a lot of 'Kit' in it, with all the zillions of wires necessary,
the big book cases, shelves with DVDs and CDs besides sofas, sideboards
etc. This poor blackbird tried every corner every nook and cranny to hide.
Finally it flew out through the open patio door after an hour of
frustration and much swearing.

Sootie went one better that Sunday night at 11.30pm when she brought in a
live mouse through the bedroom window. It was a very hot night and we had
all the windows open while we watched tv in bed. DH was naked. The effect
of the "gift" Sootie brought in was spectacular. DH shot out of bed in
front of the window as II dashed to put on the light and close the bedroom
door. Resulting in DH being on full view and naked. Sootie shot out of the
window leaving the poor mouse who ran to hide behind the ottoman on which
was a great pile of clothes I'd been sorting out. I eventually caught it
by putting a small cardboard box over it and sliding another card under
it. Then we had a big drink of whiskey.

Yes, I would have appreciated these as gifts a lot more if they'd been
dead.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

LOL! Lindy (RB) once brought in a bird, which immediately got away from her
and flew to the top of the curtain rods over the sliding glass door. I
tried to catch the bird, but didn't have much time, as I was due at a
meeting. Finally I shut the cats in the bedroom, opened the sliding door
and screen, and left for my meeting. When I got home, the bird had found
its way outside.

Joy

Old September 21st 13, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/20/2013 3:38 PM, Lesley wrote:
A friend of mine when recently asked if he'd had a good day told me "Nope..one of my effing cats chased a pigeon into my bedroom, shot under the bed with it then disemboweled it under the bed this was at 6.30 in the morning and I've spent the rest of the day getting blood stains off the underside of my mattress and removing pigeon guts from my bedroom from now on I am going to shut my bedroom door at night"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Good enough reason to have an indoor only cat.

Jill
Old September 21st 13, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Nik Simpson wrote:

[...]

Oh, Judith, that's *so* hilarious!
Brilliant.

Tweed

Old September 21st 13, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
A friend of mine when recently asked if he'd had a good day told me
"Nope..one of my effing cats chased a pigeon into my bedroom, shot under the
bed with it then disemboweled it under the bed this was at 6.30 in the
morning and I've spent the rest of the day getting blood stains off the
underside of my mattress and removing pigeon guts from my bedroom from now
on I am going to shut my bedroom door at night"

Lesley

____
LOL! Haven't I always shut my bedroom door at night? Yes. g
During hot weather the Boy is allowed 24/7 out/in access and I wouldn't put
it past him to bring me a vole or something at 4 a.m. Although it would be
dead, I wouldn't want to find it on my pillow in the morning.

Tweed

Old September 21st 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 9/20/2013 3:38 PM, Lesley wrote:
A friend of mine when recently asked if he'd had a good day told me
"Nope..one of my effing cats chased a pigeon into my bedroom, shot under
the bed with it then disemboweled it under the bed this was at 6.30 in
the morning and I've spent the rest of the day getting blood stains off
the underside of my mattress and removing pigeon guts from my bedroom
from now on I am going to shut my bedroom door at night"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Good enough reason to have an indoor only cat.

Jill

Most Brits don't keep their cats inside unless they live in a big city near
a busy road.
Best idea is to keep the bedroom door shut ;-)

Cats are what they are, they love to hunt and catch prey and I think they
should be allowed to do so, if possible. I wouldn't keep Boyfie inside just
because he might mess my house up with feathers and guts. Even though I'm
not keen on him catching birds because I like birds very much, I made that
choice when I decided to keep him.
I would much prefer if he restricted his catching to baby rats but
realistically, he won't.
He almost never catches small birds now, but the problem with collared doves
is they just can't take off quickly from the ground and Boyfie can still
manage to leap a few feet into the air at 11 years old. He's quite fit.

Tweed

Old September 21st 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

The cats I have now seem to be quite contented being inside-only cats.
They've never known anything different. However, I once tried to turn an
inside-outside cat into inside only, and she was miserable, so I gave up on
that.

Joy

Old September 21st 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Joy wrote:

The cats I have now seem to be quite contented being inside-only cats.
They've never known anything different. However, I once tried to turn an
inside-outside cat into inside only, and she was miserable, so I gave up on
that.

Joy

I am required to keep my cats indoors, in the senior citizen's residence
where I live now. Cendrillon has always been an indoor cat, so doesn't
seem to mind. However, until I moved to Arizona, Melisande was
accustomed to coming and going as she chose, via a pet flap in a bedroom
window. (Above the ground, requiring a leap from ground level, which
discouraged non feline critters.)

It has been at least six years, but I still have to keep a squirt-bottle
of water handy by the door. (She's fast, and she knows that letting
people in can provide an opportunity for an alert kitty to sneak out.)
Old September 21st 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I am sure that cats who have always been inside and know no different are
happy.
Boyfie and KFC came to me having been outside and lost and since it is safe
here I saw no reason to alter it.
There is a remote possibility that Boyfie could be killed by a car on the
road, but it *is* remote. But a cat did get killed once a few years ago
outside my house, he must have jumped in front of the only car that passed
along in an hour :-(
Sometimes I just have to trust him to take care of himself when he is out.
He did it before I got him after all.

Tweed

Old September 21st 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Persia wanted to be an inside-outside cat. She escaped once. She came
back two days later with mud and leaves stuck to her fur. Apparently
she spent some very chilly time under some bushes hiding from dogs.
Gee, the OUT isn't as attractive as a warm bed and constant food and
water, is it?

She jumped on my lap and let me brush her. She hasn't been interested
in going outside since.

Jill