Do Cat's Voices Change as They Age?

Old September 22nd 13, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Do Cat's Voices Change as They Age?

Persia is probably 15 years old now. And her voice has changed.

When she first came to live with me the vet guessed she was half
Siamese, half Russian Blue. So she's always been rather vocal and
sometimes her voice was a *little* raspy.

Lately her voice is raspier than ever. Less prolonged, which, if she
decides to yowl is a good thing! Her voice seems to be a slightly lower
pitch. (Her vet is not concerned, but I'm getting her checked this week
so I'll mention it again.)

I've noticed as humans age their voice often changes. In fact, I once
answered a survey over the telephone. When asked my age the woman
exclaimed, "Wow! You don't sound that old!" I was 50 at the time. LOL
(From this I deduced she was very young - anyone who is 50 must be
ancient!)

I have two elderly aunts, they're both 90. And their voices certainly
have changed. They sound more quavery, if that makes any sense.

However, Persia still says sweetly, "Meow-ma" any time I go in the
kitchen. Perhaps because she thinks she might get some Fancy Feast.
When she does that she sounds like she's three again.

She makes cooking difficult sometimes. There's no comfy place for her
to lounge so she walks in and out and voices her disapproval. "Are you
sure there isn't something in here for me?" LOL Occasionally she gets a
splash of milk. Mostly she's complaining because I'm in a room where
she can't comfortably take a nap.

Jill
Old September 22nd 13, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Persia is probably 15 years old now. And her voice has changed.

When she first came to live with me the vet guessed she was half
Siamese, half Russian Blue. So she's always been rather vocal and
sometimes her voice was a *little* raspy.

Lately her voice is raspier than ever. Less prolonged, which, if she
decides to yowl is a good thing! Her voice seems to be a slightly lower
pitch. (Her vet is not concerned, but I'm getting her checked this week
so I'll mention it again.)
snip

Jill

~~~~~~~
Duffy's voice has changed. I used to describe it as "trilling" when he was
younger. He would follow me around the house with ears perked forward and
tail held high, and he would talk to me with that cute little trilling
sound. He is still a "talker" and marches with head and tail held high, but
his voice is lower-pitched than when he was young. Holly's(RB) voice did
not change, and she lived to age 18.5.

MaryL

Old September 22nd 13, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/22/2013 11:47 AM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

I guess it varies from cat to cat, then. I was just curious.

Jill
Old September 22nd 13, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:30:17 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I think Rusty's voice changed a bit when he got older.
But it was hard to tell as he was a quiet cat.
He was more vocal in his later years.

When I was in the kitchen cooking, he would sit quietly by the
kitchen door waiting to be fed.

Winnie
Old September 22nd 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I might have been able to tell you if KFC had had any sort of voice. She
opened her mouth to meow if I spoke to her but no sound ever came out. I
don't know why. She could trill though.
I read something online which suggested that feral cats communicate in a
higher pitch with each other and we can't hear it, but AFAIK she was never
truly feral - unless the fact that I found out she was called Lucky means
that she was? She was certainly able to look after herself preywise while
she waited to move in on me ;-)
Boyfie is now 11, his voice is the same as yet so not much help, sorry.

Tweed

Old September 22nd 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

Persia is probably 15 years old now. And her voice has changed.

Roxy's voice has changed a lot. Especially the sounds she makes when I'm
bringing her a dish of food. She used to make these high-pitched little
"eeps" - really cute.

Nowadays, I think she's still trying to make the eeps, but it sounds
more like a rusty hinge, or occasionally like a rooster crowing. She's
15.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old September 23rd 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/22/2013 1:11 PM, Rusty wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:30:17 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

Persia is probably 15 years old now. And her voice has changed.
She makes cooking difficult sometimes. There's no comfy place for her
to lounge so she walks in and out and voices her disapproval. "Are you
sure there isn't something in here for me?" LOL Occasionally she gets a
splash of milk. Mostly she's complaining because I'm in a room where
she can't comfortably take a nap.

Jill

I think Rusty's voice changed a bit when he got older.
But it was hard to tell as he was a quiet cat.
He was more vocal in his later years.

Sometimes Persia opens her mouth to meow and nothing comes out. The
"silent meow" doesn't happen very often.

When I was in the kitchen cooking, he would sit quietly by the
kitchen door waiting to be fed.

Winnie

Persia eats in my bedroom. There's just no good place in the kitchen to
have a food/water area for her. This house was not designed with
feeding pets in mind. (Then again, the kitchen wasn't designed by
someone who cooks, either. LOL)

Persia knows the kitchen is where I dish up the Fancy Feast and also
where I store the milk. She doesn't get milk very often and only a
little drizzle when she does. But hey, if I open the refrigerator door
she's always hopeful.

Jill
Old September 23rd 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:23:19 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Rusty did not eat the kitchen either. But he knew if I was fixing a meal, he
would get fed soon. Plus any leftover canned food was in the fridge.
He ate in a "his room" next to the kitchen. -- Winnie