NY Man Marries His Dog

Old September 26th 13, 10:03 PM posted to alt.politics.homosexuality,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default NY Man Marries His Dog

In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes SkyEyes wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

LOL!!!! (I can't imagine ANYONE taking this delightful nonsense
seriously, but given the steady deterioration in the American I.Q.,
who knows?)

Great swathes of the American community are satire- and irony-impaired.

I could see that it was satire, but *who* was being satirized? Sounded
like it was making fun of gay marriage to me, pretending to take seriously
the idea of a man marrying his dog.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old September 27th 13, 10:41 PM posted to alt.politics.homosexuality,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bastette wrote:
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes SkyEyes wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

LOL!!!! (I can't imagine ANYONE taking this delightful nonsense
seriously, but given the steady deterioration in the American I.Q.,
who knows?)

Great swathes of the American community are satire- and irony-impaired.

I could see that it was satire, but *who* was being satirized? Sounded
like it was making fun of gay marriage to me, pretending to take seriously
the idea of a man marrying his dog.

That's the "satire", of course! Having been involved in church music, I
have had gay male friends for most of my life (and long before most
admitted to being so). I find the whole "controversy" about gay
marriage ridiculous - why shouldn't ANYONE have the right to choose the
beneficiary of their pension and/or insurance, the heir to their
property, who holds power of attorney over their possessions, and who
has the right to visit them during terminal illness?

Unmarried hetero-sexual couples can run into the same problems, if their
relatives disapprove. A woman with whom I worked is a case in point -
for reasons purely their own, she and her-live-in lover chose not to
marry, even though they had been together for many years. when he was
hospitalized with his final illness, his children refused her access,
even making out-of-state funeral arrangements and not notifying her.
(Most of my gay friends, being aware of the potential problems, have
made very certain all legal documents are up to date, and spell
everything out.)

Old September 27th 13, 11:06 PM posted to alt.politics.homosexuality,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Bastette wrote:
[...]

Amen to that!

Joy

Unmarried hetero-sexual couples can run into the same problems, if their
relatives disapprove. A woman with whom I worked is a case in point - for
reasons purely their own, she and her-live-in lover chose not to marry,
even though they had been together for many years. when he was
hospitalized with his final illness, his children refused her access, even
making out-of-state funeral arrangements and not notifying her. (Most of
my gay friends, being aware of the potential problems, have made very
certain all legal documents are up to date, and spell everything out.)

Gay marriage was legal in California, then it wasn't; now it is again.
During that first period, my church had several weddings. In fact, one of
the loveliest weddings I've attended in my life was between two men.

Joy

Old September 28th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

you all realize you keep replying to
alt.politics.homosexuality

Old September 28th 13, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew wrote:
you all realize you keep replying to
alt.politics.homosexuality

So? Seems singularly pertinent, n'est ce pas? (More so than
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes, where many of us have been reading it.)