My friend June had burglars

Old October 2nd 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default My friend June had burglars

Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house, they
just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so her
dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

Old October 3rd 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house, they
just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so her
dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

I'm sorry to hear about the burglary. June has my sympathy. It's a
disturbing thing to have happen.

But what you say is true enough. Unless they were vicious (guard) dogs,
the burglar(s) had no reason to hurt them. And unless they'd gone there
specfically to steal valuable puppies (it happens!) no reason to take
them, either. (How would a burglar make a quiet getaway with a bunch of
puppies?!) It's nice they closed the gate to keep the dogs in.
Obviously they weren't in a hurry, rushing out of the house. She's
lucky all they stole was her laptop.

Many years ago my brothers house was burgled. They boldly backed a
truck into the driveway, picked the lock on the front door and walked
in. They got away with his computers, his stereo system, television,
all sorts of things. IIRC they even stole the drawers (and the contents
of said drawers) out of the bedside tables in the bedroom. They just
casually loaded everything in the truck and drove off. Apparently they
knew there weren't many people home during the day who would even notice
what was going on.

The same sort of thing happened when I was a teenager in the 1970's. I
was still living with my parents. My dad worked but mom stayed home and
I was usually home right after school. One day the police came
knocking. Several houses on our street had been burglarized. They
theorized the reason our house hadn't been hit is they knew there was
nearly always someone at home. They also said these burglars were so
bold in one of the houses they took the time to make a couple of
sandwiches from what was in the refrigerator!

Jill
Old October 3rd 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house,
they just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so
her dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

Yes, I guess so.

Joy

She was only out for 45 minutes and took her husband with her, which she
rarely does.
It suggests to me that they'd been watching her movements but I haven't
shared that thought with her.
She has a CCTV camera, but they took the tape with them.
Her house is quite isolated and both the nearest neighbours were out,
otherwise they would have been sure to hear the younger dogs going berserk
but unable to get to them.

Tweed

Old October 3rd 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house,
they
just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so
her
dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

I'm sorry to hear about the burglary. June has my sympathy. It's a
disturbing thing to have happen.

But what you say is true enough. Unless they were vicious (guard) dogs,
the burglar(s) had no reason to hurt them.

Except that not too far away from me, a few years ago, burglars kicked a
young Pekinese in the house and he died from internal bleeding. I only knew
about it because I saw a lost Pekinese on the street so I stopped my car and
picked him up and went house to house searching for his home with him under
my arm.
He was a replacement. The breeders of the original dog found out what had
happened, and gave them another one. The naughty boy had crawled out under
the gate and was sitting by the the recycling bags on the street, not
knowing what to do.
Anyway, they were very grateful to get him back and blocked up the little
gap under the gate immediately.
He was very charming, I'd quite like to have kept him for myself.
so yes, burglars can harm your dogs.

June is one of the foremost breeders of whippets in the country and the 8
week old puppies she has atm are very valuable, although they couldn't have
been sold in the whippet fraternity, we'd all have known where they came
from.

Tweed

Old October 3rd 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house, they
just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so
her dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

I should have told her tip I got from an ex-burglar who reformed. Always
leave the TV on when you are out. That way they cannot be sure whether
there is anyone in the house or not, and usually won't risk it.

Tweed

Old October 3rd 13, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:48:15 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
Last Friday. They didn't harm any of her very old dogs in the house,
they just stole her laptop.
They didn't steal her puppies either and locked the gate behind them so
her dogs didn't get out.

I guess that's the best burglars we can wish for.

Tweed

I should have told her tip I got from an ex-burglar who reformed.
Always leave the TV on when you are out. That way they cannot be sure
whether there is anyone in the house or not, and usually won't risk it.

Tweed

I have been lucky enough to have only been burgled once in my life. This
was back when I was still living with my parents. They came home to find
the back door standing open. The burglar had escaped, evidently on foot,
with some of the loot, but had dropped other loot in a trail across the
back yard (our yard backed up against a highway fence, so we guessed that
he had probably parked his car on the shoulder of the highway). He had
neatly pried a pane of glass loose from its putty, and leaned it against
a tree, suggesting that his original plan had been to put the glass back
in place as a last step, to make it less obvious from outside that the
house had been burgled. My parents' cat liked to sleep on top of a stack
of boxes in the attic, and would make a loud thump when she jumped down,
so we figured that this noise is probably what scared off the burglar.

Speaking of people scaring off thieves, a robbery in a shopping center
parking lot here in Nashville was foiled (sorry, I couldn't resist the
pun) a few days ago by a modern-day swordsman. Franco Scaramuzza, a
fencing coach, pulled into the parking lot, and saw two young men pepper-
spray a couple and grab a purse. Scaramuzza, who had just come from
fencing practice, grabbed up his épée (a type of sword) and charged the
robbers, waving the sword in the air and yelling. They panicked, dropped
the loot, and ran away. The police caught them a short while later.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...ps-robbery-in-
shopping-center-192942720.html

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old October 5th 13, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

John F. Eldredge wrote:

[...]

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...192942720.html

This story doesn't seem to be there anymore. I went to the "oddnews" page
itself and looked at every story on it - nothing about this... and you
posted this just yesterday? Wow, they don't leave things up very long, do
they?

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old October 5th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/4/2013 8:40 PM, Bastette wrote:
John F. Eldredge wrote:

[...]

Try this link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1471523

It made they NY Daily News

Jill
Old October 6th 13, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/2/2013 8:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Many years ago my brothers house was burgled.

The reason I bought my home security system was for 2 reasons. One was
a friends brother who was taped up naked while the criminals stole
everything from his house possible. Taped up as in hands and feet. When
they left he was able to partially get free from the tape and go to a
neighbors house to call the police but he was still without clothes.

the second was when a friends neighbor was broken into and they held her
at gunpoint while they robbed her home and took her bank card and said
that if she gave them an incorrect code they were coming back to kill
her. She has a daughter, and the child never woke up during the whole
thing.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.