Abrupt changes in urination pattern

Old October 15th 05, 09:24 PM
Erickson's Erickson's is offline
Junior Member

Question Abrupt changes in urination pattern

My 2 ½ year old, spayed, female cat has claim ME and my personal space as her cat box. There has been three incidences of this odd urination problem. This story starts one month ago when my husband turns down the bed, takes a 15 minute shower, and returns to the bed to climb in, finding his side of the bed has been urinated on. Our solution was to spray Fabreeze on the urine, flip the mattress, wash the sheets, keep access to the room closed and take the cat to the vet. The vet feels this is a behavioral response and suggests PeeOut as a deterrent.

A lapse in keeping the door closed proceeded in the next incident. While my husband and me slept, the cat slithered between us and urinated. She urinated in the middle of the bed on our backs. We continued with the same solution as before.

During the second incident she was on an antibiotic which made her drink more water than usual. She has been free of her 7 day treatment for the infection for two weeks.

Yet last night she urinated on me while I sat watching television. There is two explanations to this. She urinated and I did not feel it or the urine was present before I sat down.

My relationship with my cat is like a mother and child. She is by my side where ever I go in the house, sometimes weaving in and out of my legs while I walk. Shunning her from rooms in the house is very hard for me. I want my cat to continue to curl up under my chin in the mornings as I sleep and on cold desert nights sleep as the foot of the bed.

My husbands and daughters relationship with the cat is less demanding. The cat doesn’t see them as threat but rarely socializes with them. When my family members approach the cat, she usually heads off in another direction.

A second older female cat has a resident before my problem cat arrived. The cats interact is good and unchanged since the problem arose.

Please give me a remedy anybody or I will have to give up on my wonderful cat I raised from a kitten.
Old October 16th 05, 02:10 AM
Gail

Default Abrupt changes in urination pattern

How many litter boxes do you have for the two cats? You should have three.
These are a few things to try:
1. Have the vet prescribe antidepressant meds. The cat may have interstitial
cystitis which makes it painful urinating. She then associates the pain with
the box and avoids it. She can remain on this meds for life, if need be.
2. Try putting her in a room by herself with litter box, food, water and a
bed (the food and water must be away from the litter box). When she
consistently uses the box, gradually increase the area which she is
allowed. I would keep your bedroom door closed to her.
3. Cats who urinate inappropriately usually have a medical reason for doing
so. Don't give up on her.
Gail

--
Erickson's

Old October 16th 05, 03:16 AM
5cats

Erickson's wrote:

During the second incident she was on an antibiotic which made her
drink more water than usual. She has been free of her 7 day treatment
for the infection for two weeks.

What was the antibiotic for? Did the vet actually diagnose a urinary
tract infection?

Have there been any major changes in the household routine? New
people/pets or someone leaving home?

Did you see the cat doing this? Was she acting strange or uncomfortable?

Are the litter boxes kept clean? All the time? How many boxes? Are they
easy to get to (not up/down a flight of stairs) and in a relatively quiet
part of the house?

What kind of food does she eat?
Old October 16th 05, 09:05 AM
Erickson's Erickson's is offline
Junior Member

Wink

What was the antibiotic for? Did the vet actually diagnose a urinary
tract infection?

Have there been any major changes in the household routine? New
people/pets or someone leaving home?

Did you see the cat doing this? Was she acting strange or uncomfortable?

Are the litter boxes kept clean? All the time? How many boxes? Are they
easy to get to (not up/down a flight of stairs) and in a relatively quiet
part of the house?

What kind of food does she eat?[/quote]

Thank you, for your help. I am very impressed with wisdom of the suggestions already.

During the second incident she had infection on her eyelid. We called her winky for a week. The vet suspected a urinary tract infection as well, but was more persuaded that she had a behavior problem because she didn’t act like a sick cat (no wining, scooting, or odd body movements).

This cat is definitely caused the second incident because she is the only cat that will jump on the bed while the humans are sleeping. She will notice the MY movement and act as the cat alarm. Her meow is easy to distingue from the other and doesn’t mind trampling on ME to get me up. It was unusual that she choose to walk between me and my husband (because its a dangerous place, and she doesn’t care about my husband).

My father and husband had been renovating the kitchen for the past two months; meeting only one a week. He is new to the house but is not a permanent fixture. The texture of the floor is dirty on her feet because the flooring has been pulled up. She still likes this surface because it is cool and the Arizona desert hasn’t shifted to winter temperatures yet.

She needs to travel through the kitchen at night to get to the only cat box in the garage. This large automatic cleaning cat box is maintained every other day. Her and her companion can not complain about noises or movement of people or cars. They find the garage good hunting grounds for mice and large scorpions which crawl under the garage door.

During the construction the front door is left open for an easy cat exit to the front yard and an alternative entrance to the garage. The cat’s problems have been at night and very early morning hour.

She eats Purina Kitten Dry food anytime she wishes, and ½ can of the Walmart Special Kitty Mashed wet food at evening. I buy the kitten food for its higher protein content. During her infection I gave her my homemade beef jerky (no spices, just teriyaki and soy sauce flavored).

My house is a single story with a thousand square feet. The 1,000 have grown shorter to 500 for her, as more doors are shut off from her.
Old October 16th 05, 03:01 PM
Gail

She should have another litter box (not automatic) near by. It should be
cleaned twice daily. Feed her canned food as dry food causes urinary tract
infections. Your vet sounds like a dud. I would see another one.
Gail

Old October 16th 05, 04:13 PM
5cats

Erickson's wrote:

[...]

Gail already said this, but I think you should try another litter box,
located so kitty doesn't have to pass through the kitchen to get to it.
There haven't been incidents during the day when the outside door is open,
but I guess that door is closed overnight when the problems have occurred?

And it does seem that the vet is awfully quick to write off medical
problems without much investigation. I would insist on at least a full
blood chemistry befor ruling out medical problems.

High quality canned food would be a good idea to help keep her well
hydrated.

Old October 16th 05, 04:24 PM
Joe Canuck

Erickson's wrote:

[...]

How many litter boxes do you have setup?

Are you sure the infection is gone?

Seek a second opinion from another vet.