Is that any way to treat a visitor?

Old October 28th 05, 09:58 PM
Ted Davis

Default Is that any way to treat a visitor?

Last night I heard Fluffy growling. Now, Fluffy doesn't growl at the
resident cats - she hisses and snarls. This was the low growl she
reserves for possoms, coons, and whatever she is hunting (which goes a
long way toward explaining why she is an adject failure as a hunter).
I went to the kitchen door and looked at the food area where vermin go
first, then I realized Fluffy was facing the wrong way. I had a
sinking feeling I had a possom in the living room - I looked, but saw
nothing. Then I saw a red streak running from one hiding place to
another - it was the feral cat I call Neko. Neko once upon a time had
a real name and a real home, but his human died and he was left on his
own. Fortunately, this happened next door to a cat haven and across
the road from another. My neighbor across the road has three or four
cats, all but one of which are fed outside, feed most of the
neighborhood ferals as well. some of the ferals come over to my place,
sometimes coming in to eat, but they generally stay just long enough
to grab a few bites of food before scurrying away.

Neko is known to my cats, and none of them had ever given him any
trouble, though there was the time he was under one of my trucks -
Fleagor (my alpha cat) sat down about twenty feet from him and just
looked at him until he turned tail and ran away. There has never been
any fighting or threats on either side until last night. Neko is big
and beautiful, but last night he was terrified because Fluffy was
growling - she *never* follows through - she's never had a fight in
her entire thirteen years.Fleagor was interested and was rushing
around making sure Neko didn't break any rules that visiting cats are
supposed to observe, but he wasn't at all hostile.

Finally, I realised that I was blocking both of Neko's possible escape
routes. I moved and he vanished through the cat flap.

It was fairly chilly at the time, and it's getting colder night by
night, so I wonder if he is looking for a place to take winter
shelter. I really like red tabbies, so he would be more than usually
welcome to stay, even is he remained untouchable. I expect he'll be
back. Now, if Fluffy would just keep quiet about it ....

--
T.E.D. )

Old October 28th 05, 11:00 PM
Annie Wxill

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
.... It was fairly chilly at the time, and it's getting colder night by
night, so I wonder if he is looking for a place to take winter
shelter. ... T.E.D. )

Warm wishes and purrs are on the way from our house to Neko (and for Fluffy
to keep quiet).
Annie

Old October 29th 05, 01:11 AM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:09:06 -0500, "Karen"
wrote:

Maybe you can put a warm shelter outside?

I did that last year - I think possums used it more than the feral
cats. It was a cardboard box with a cat sized opening, and a pet bed
heater - I put some old towels over the heater. This year I think
I'll either use a medium dog carrier with the gate removed ... or pass
entirely and just assume they are sleeping in the neighbor's barn.

--
T.E.D. )
Old October 29th 05, 02:06 AM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:00:02 -0500, "Annie Wxill"
wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
.. .
... It was fairly chilly at the time, and it's getting colder night by
night, so I wonder if he is looking for a place to take winter
shelter. ... T.E.D. )

Warm wishes and purrs are on the way from our house to Neko (and for Fluffy
to keep quiet).
Annie

Well, he's not the only feral that comes around sometimes: there's
also Mooch - black and white with a round white spot in the middle of
his back. He's more wary of humans though, but he has come in to eat.

Expecting Fluffy to keep quiet is like expecting a garage band to keep
quiet ... or a teenager with a boombox car.

--
T.E.D. )

Kitty Discovers a New Treat Jack Cat anecdotes 90 March 16th 05 01:00 AM
A visitor dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 32 September 5th 04 07:46 PM
Visitor cat John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 2 July 5th 04 01:33 PM
cat visitor Mermaid Cat rescue 6 May 13th 04 09:16 PM
Harvey and the doggy treat Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 3 September 21st 03 11:24 PM