"Shadow" update

Old May 17th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default "Shadow" update

To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way, NewCat
doesn't answer to her name.

The poor girl was a mess with fleas, burrs and matts. The fleas were easy to
treat, but the matts and burrs have gotten Joel and I some pretty deep
scratches. She spent most of the first two days growling and hisspitting at
everyone. But now the mats & burrs are gone, she is much better tempered.
She must have bee in alot of pain!

Thats not to say she still doens't have a potty mouth - but what do you
expect of a girl who clearly lived by her wits on the streets for a while?

She's an enigma. At some point, she was clearly a spoilt cat. She knows what
a brush is, and rolls over to have her tummy done. She *loves* scritches and
isn't afraid of hands. But will hiss and attack if we go near her tail. She
is is very afraid of thrown things (of course, Cary never throws *anything*
in the hosue, right?) She didn't know what a litterbox was and held it in
for two days (whilst scratching at the doors) before she finally let it
loose on some paper in the hallway. So I moved one of the litterboxes into
the hallway, and put the paper she'd gone into it. She used the box after
that, to much relief. She doesn't much like kibble or gooshy food - she
wants hoomin food. She has started to groom herself again, and is slowly
showing some cat behaviour,but she's not at all interested in any of the cat
toys. She seems to have absolutely no 'chase and pounce' instinct at all.

I don't think she's been spayed, mainly because she kept us awake with a
strange caterwailing I can only assume is her calling to a mate. Its not a
normal meow nor is it the yowl of an unhappy cat. At least that means she's
not pregnant. We're going to have to wait the fortnight, because the parking
fine took the spay money. At least she cant get pregnant here.

She's accepted Pickle as Alpha Cat with only a small amount of hissing, but
now has to work out with Suki whether she's beta cat or gamma cat. This may
take more time, as Suki is not the shiniest spoon in the draw, and it may be
quite some time before Suki realises the order, even though in Pickle and
Shadow's mind, it had been well established. Who knows. So far there's only
been hissing, growling and hte occasional bap, theres been no actual
brawling or fur flying. Her territory is the hall, Suki tends to claim the
dining room and Pickle, well, being Alpha Cat, he has the whole house.

At least she isn't hiding. Whenver Shmogg moved, he hid really well, and I'd
have no idea where he was for 3 or 4 days, but he was born & raised a street
cat (if not feral) and he knew about hiding. Shadow's behaviour really
suggests she as born and raised in a loving and calm household but at some
later point was abandoned and left to fend for herself on the street.

She really is an enigma. But at least she's an enigma that knows we're all a
good source of scritches, and rewards us with a very loud rumbly purr when
we get the sweet spot. I think things will work out fine.

Yowie

Old May 17th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

"Yowie" ...
[...]

Awwwwww Yowie, what a sweet story.
PUUURS for her to fit in with your loving household.
You are such a sweetheart and I'm sorry about all the troubles you've been
having
Hug
Kyla
--off for a nap now with my little Mosey

Old May 17th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

She didn't know what a litterbox was and held it in
for two days (whilst scratching at the doors) before she finally let it
loose on some paper in the hallway. So I moved one of the litterboxes into
the hallway, and put the paper she'd gone into it.

You'll get sympathy from Enfilade on that one, I expect!

She used the box after that, to much relief.

Whew. Otherwise you might have had to choose between either dealing
with pee and poo all over your house, or letting her be indoor/outdoor.
(Or are your cats already indoor/outdoor?)

She has started to groom herself again, and is slowly
showing some cat behaviour,but she's not at all interested in any of the cat
toys. She seems to have absolutely no 'chase and pounce' instinct at all.

Oh, I'll bet she has a chase instinct. I think that's innate. She might
not have a clue what to do with something once she's caught up with it,
though - I think that needs to be taught. Maybe she's still not at ease
enough in the house to behave in a predatory manner. Smudge doesn't chase
things in my house either. This could be because she now knows the
difference between play prey and the Real Thing, or it could be because
Licky makes her too nervous. In any case, I'd give Shadow some time. She'll
probably start to at least chase a ball or grab for a dangling object,
once she gets more comfortable and confident.

I don't think she's been spayed, mainly because she kept us awake with a
strange caterwailing I can only assume is her calling to a mate. Its not a
normal meow nor is it the yowl of an unhappy cat. At least that means she's
not pregnant. We're going to have to wait the fortnight, because the parking
fine took the spay money. At least she cant get pregnant here.

Damn, it's hard to be struggling with money and have to make those kind
of choices. But a couple of weeks isn't too bad. Just make sure she doesn't
slip out! A cat in heat can be *mighty* determined to get outside.

She really is an enigma. But at least she's an enigma that knows we're all a
good source of scritches, and rewards us with a very loud rumbly purr when
we get the sweet spot. I think things will work out fine.

That's great news. Thanks for the update!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 17th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm really enjoying reading your posts about your new cat.

Tweed

Old May 17th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way,
NewCat doesn't answer to her name.

snip
Another Shadow. :-) I bet a few people are going to get muddled between your
Shadow and mine, who's getting more settled every day.

It sounds like your Shadow will soon be an integral part of the family, she
may even get used to things flying through the air when Cary "drops" them.
;-)

Was it A or B that persuaded Joel to let her stay? ;o)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 17th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On May 16, 6:23�pm, "Yowie" wrote:
[...]

Hopefully this is the beginning of a long, beautiful relationship.
Suz&Spicey
Old May 17th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Yowie" wrote in message
To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way, NewCat
doesn't answer to her name.

Maybe she should be named Enigma.

Pam S. for Cap'n Pine Cone who wants to invite Suki, Pickle, and
Shadow/Cassandra/Enigma to join The Mouser this year.

Old May 17th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

tanadashoes wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way,
NewCat doesn't answer to her name.

Maybe she should be named Enigma.

Pam S. for Cap'n Pine Cone who wants to invite Suki, Pickle, and
Shadow/Cassandra/Enigma to join The Mouser this year.

They are young & fit, and would enjoy the Mouser.

Just be aware their secretary is not young & fit and may not type as often
as other secretaries. :-)

Yowie

Old May 18th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Yowie" wrote in message
tanadashoes wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way,
NewCat doesn't answer to her name.

Maybe she should be named Enigma.

Pam S. for Cap'n Pine Cone who wants to invite Suki, Pickle, and
Shadow/Cassandra/Enigma to join The Mouser this year.

They are young & fit, and would enjoy the Mouser.

Just be aware their secretary is not young & fit and may not type as often
as other secretaries. :-)

Yowie

Understood, but they are still welcome and can ghost (teleport, port) over
as soon as they've arranged for their substitute clones.

Cap'n Pine Cone esq.

Old May 25th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Yowie wrote:
To Cary & Joel,she's Shadow, to me she is Cassandra. Either way, NewCat
doesn't answer to her name.

snip
Yowie

Thank you so much for taking her in, Vicky.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek