Inappropriate Urination

Old September 28th 04, 10:42 PM
C P

Would never suggest the latter!

You say it's not medical in nature; just to make sure - have they been
checked for a UTI at the vet's since this started happening? Cause this

is
a classic symptom of a cat having a UTI.

Cathy

Thank you for being understanding!!! Yes, they've seen a vet & been checked
for UT problems. I've tried pretty much everything; Cleaning the spot with
Vinegar. Putting Newspaper/Aluminum foil/their food dishes on the spot.
Adding a litterbox. Changing types of litter. Segregating cats. Moving
litterboxes.

I'm sure We've tried other things, but I can't think of them just now. :-)

Cori

Old September 28th 04, 10:44 PM
C P

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

It sure is and I would add that the OP might think about any major or

minor
change in the cats' environment--food, activity, company, etc. Additions

and
subtractions to the household, unusual noises, that sort of thing.

Yes, I know changes are a trigger for this kind of behavior; I have to say,
tho, that this has been going on for easily 3 or 4 years. More and Less, but
for easily that long.

In that time we've added & lost cats, had a child, and added & subtracted
litterboxes, and changed litter.

:-)

Cori

Old September 28th 04, 11:33 PM
Wendy

"C P" wrote in message
"Wendy" wrote in message
How do you know it's not medical? Have they seen a vet and been checked

for
urinary tract problems?

What have you already tried?

Yes, they've seen a vet & been checked for UT problems. I've tried pretty
much everything; Cleaning the spot with Vinegar. Putting

Newspaper/Aluminum
foil/their food dishes on the spot. Adding a litterbox. Changing types of
litter. Segregating cats. Moving litterboxes.

I'm sure We've tried other things, but I can't think of them just now. :-)

Cori

Have you tried covering the box if uncovered or uncovering it if covered?
How often do you scoop the box?
Have you tried cat attract kitty litter?
Have you tried using an enzyme cleaner rather than the vinegar. I haven't
found vinegar to be very effective by itself.
You may have to lift the carpeting and replace the padding.
Have you tried using a feliway diffuser in the room where the cat is peeing?

Old September 29th 04, 12:15 AM
C P

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Have you tried covering the box if uncovered or uncovering it if covered?

" Yes.
"How often do you scoop the box?" Once a Day.
"Have you tried cat attract kitty litter?" Is that a brand? I haven't

heard of it, and I'd LOVE to try it!
"Have you tried using an enzyme cleaner rather than the vinegar. I haven't
found vinegar to be very effective by itself." Yes, Quite a few,

Including Nature's Miracle.
"You may have to lift the carpeting and replace the padding." That's

our next plan, replacing the carpet and padding.
"Have you tried using a feliway diffuser in the room where the cat is

peeing?" Not yet, but I just bought a spray bottle of the stuff. Does it
REALLY work?

Thanks for your help!
Cori

Old September 29th 04, 01:25 AM
Jayde

In news:jo06d.61093$wV.41782@attbi_s54,
C P typed:
One or more of my cats is peeing on stuff now and again. I've tried
all sorts of things, but I'm here to ask for help. How can I get them
to stop? They're all healthy, I know it's not medical in nature.
Please, any suggestions/ideas are welcome, EXCEPT getting rid of
them. Thank You.
Cori

Since one or "more" of your cats do this off and on, AND your vet
eliminated Urinary Tract and/or Kidney as possible medical conditions,
then it could be that there is a hierarchy or social conflict taking
place. How many cats do you have?

Sometimes cats do this to establish their territorial boundaries when
they perceive a social conflict at that time. Are there any signs of
occasional aggression toward one another? It's essential to first remove
the odor. Then, try at first, giving all your cats equal attention
making sure they all see you do it. Introduce a toy they can all equally
participate in playing with for a while, like a feather attached to the
end of a long line and pole. -- You can control who gets to take turns
equally.

If it's related to jealousy toward a certain human companion, then
neutralize the subtleties of favorite-cat attitude (if present), in the
presence of the urinating cat for a while.

Also, when you begin to see the cat shuffle the area and getting ready
to urinate, intervene this habit by clapping or making other startling
sounds objectively for association. When cats seem to get along nicely,
then it would be good to reward all of them for the socially harmonious
behavior.

If this is infact a social interaction conflict, and you've never done
this before, these changes may be a start... ~Jayde

Old September 29th 04, 03:41 AM
C P

"Jayde" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Thanks for the reply! We have 6 cats, and this DID start in earnest back
when we had 14. We foster & rehome cats, and at the time had 6 on the back
porch and 8 in the main part of the house.

We have TWO cats who try to be top cat, only they don't fight each OTHER.
One (the original Top Cat) doesn't bother anyone, tho he used to pee in the
kitchen in front of the window to the back porch when we had fosters there.
The other (my Ginger cat, a rescue) picks on whoever gets in his way, but
mostly my Maine Coon, who then will retaliate by jumping him from behind
every chance HE gets. I KNOW my Ginger cat pees certain places, and he NEVER
does it when we're looking - it's usually in the dead of night when we're
asleep. I just don't think / know for sure that he's the only one just now.

They don't all get along nicely, but they CAN get along without trying to
kill each other. THAT'S starting to happen more, and I think it's that
they're finally all getting used to living together. The present
configuration has existed since April of 2003, when I had to put down one of
my cats due to FIP.

Thanks again for your help!
Cori