another post!!

Old September 8th 05, 05:35 AM
meee

Default another post!!

Hi, I know this is a cat newsgroup, but i noticed a lot of you have dogs
too.
We have a 1 year old female staffy and a 9 month old female terrier. We had
the staffy first, and she has always been my husband's dog. She loves all of
us, but my husband's her 'master'. She decided this, not us. Likewise, the
terrier is 'my' dog. One problem we have is that honey, the terrier, gets
incredibly jealous if i even talk to sascha, the staffy. She barks and jumps
on me. I don't want to neglect sascha and like to spend time with them both,
but honey goes insane, barking and jumping all over me, and trying to
wrestle sascha away from me. the other thing is that when my husband walks
sascha she won't let any other dog near him, and goes nuts any time she sees
another dog, barking and straining at the leash. We don't have her on a
choke collar, just a plain,strong leather collar. It's only when she's on a
leash,when she's in our backyard neither of our dogs bark at passers by or
other dog walkers, and they are well mannered with other dogs visiting.
Occasionally she'll bail the cat up when she thinks Im not looking, but the
cat just ignores her and walks off. We are worried because people look
frightened by her, and cross to the other side of the road, etc. She has
never bitten another dog or animal, but as she's a white staffy she looks a
bit different and i think people think she's a pit bull. we've had scares in
Aus. over pb's lately, and as there are no tests, or much knowledge about
the breed. we don't want her looking so agressive, we don't think she'll do
anything as she's never been agressive except when on a leash. How do we
teach her to calm down in public?

Old September 9th 05, 12:50 AM
Annie Wxill

"meee" wrote in message
Hi, I know this is a cat newsgroup, but i noticed a lot of you have dogs
too.

.... we don't want her looking so agressive, we don't think she'll do
anything as she's never been agressive except when on a leash. How do we
teach her to calm down in public?

1. Get the dogs to obedience lessons.

2. Buy or go to the library and get some books on the breeds you have.

3. Research the internet for more information and to find a dog newsgroup.

4. Make sure the cat is not hassled and always has an escape.

Annie

Old September 9th 05, 03:39 AM
Katy

"meee" wrote in message
Hi, I know this is a cat newsgroup, but i noticed a lot of you have dogs
too.
We have a 1 year old female staffy and a 9 month old female terrier. We

had
the staffy first, and she has always been my husband's dog.

Do you mean a Staffordshire terrier? I had one growing up. I lvoed that
doggie.

Old September 9th 05, 07:03 AM
meee

yes staffys are lovely doggies.just not too bright at times. my cat never
gets harrassed by my dogs. she stays inside or in the front yard and they
are fenced in the back. usually she harrasses the dogs she thinks she
owns them and has the terrier totally under her spell. they lick her which
sometimes irritates her...eewwww doggy breath! but otherwise they get on
well! thanks for taking an interest!
Katy wrote in message
news:1126233712.31767733fc83c47401ff36e14d956f53@t eranews...

Old September 10th 05, 08:00 AM
meee

wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 04:35:02 GMT, "meee"
wrote:

Hi, I know this is a cat newsgroup, but i noticed a lot of you have dogs
too.

How nice of you to notice. So why did you post even though you knew
you shouldn't?

A lot of us have cars too.
But we don't discuss engine problems here.

A lot of us have televisions too.
But we don't discuss the Simpsons here.

A lot of us have homes too.
But we don't discuss house painting here.

A lot of us have children too.
But we don't discuss schools here.

A lot of us have books too.
But we don't discuss literature here.

( Unless, of course, any of the above involves cats)

That's why there are 100,000 newsgroups. Please take your dog
questions to an appropriate group. You didn't even have the
courtesy to write a subject line that would have alerted other
readers to skip it.

CLS... ****ed again.

Look, sorry to have offended you by asking a dog question in the cat
newsgroup....I only just discovered newsgroups on usenet, and every dog site
seemed to be empty, so I asked a question here, as people seemed to be
helpful and friendly and weren't followers of the amazing puppy wizard
weirdo. Fortunately some people in this newsgroup were kind enough to answer
my annoyingly doggy question, but if refering to non-cat subjects offends
you, I will try to restrain myself from mentioning my other pets, children,
or life. Just for you. Apologies on the subject post, I will be more
succinct in future.

Old September 10th 05, 01:12 PM
Trish

wrote:

[...]

no need, please continue to ask your questions, every now and then some
asshole will pop up and need to fart, it was CLS's turn this week. So
please, ask away and enjoy yourself here, if you filter through the crap
of the egos many here give good advice, interestingly those who often
give the more informative advice are also labelled the trolls. But
that's all part of the fun. I talk about my dog here and Charlie does
as well, so feel free to ask your questions You are right its hard
to ask them in the other group, and often you have to wait awhile to get
an answer.

Anyways, welcome aboard!

Old September 10th 05, 02:26 PM
meee

Trish wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Trish All the 'normal', real cat people here have been very
friendly and helpful, so i was surprised when someone purporting to be a cat
person popped up and told me off for daring to mention my poor doggies. I
have wanted to take my doggies to puppy classes, but they aren't vaccinated,
and you aren't allowed in without vaccines. Many of you in the US and Europe
seem to have great vets, and vaccinating seems to be very important. Over
here, most people, especially in rural areas, don't vaccinate dogs and cats
unless they are valuable pedigreed animals (which usually means they have
the money to afford the vaccine, not that we only spend money on more
expensive pets). We don't have as many serious human/dog/cat diseases i
think, and there aren't many serious canine/feline diseases that can be
vaccinated I guess. The biggest killer of cats/ dogs here are baits set for
feral animals, ticks and being hit by a car. The reason I have put a big
explanation is so I don't get charged with cruelty for not vaccinating my
dogs/cats. If you have any tips I could use to help sascha and honey with
their jealousy/overprotectiveness, I'd really appreciate it. My husband has
been taking Sascha for walks in an effort to get her used to other dogs and
people, as she lived with us on a very isolated property up until now, we
have recently moved to the city. She was also the runt of the litter, as was
honey, but sascha got very picked on by her three stronger brothers, to the
point where the tips of both her ears have been chewed off. The breeder then
asked us to take her early, as the other pups wouldn't leave her alone, and
since then, it's been just us & her.

Old September 12th 05, 03:46 AM
Trish

"meee" wrote in message

snipping so I don't have to scroll down to answer

Thanks Trish All the 'normal', real cat people here have been very
friendly and helpful, so i was surprised when someone purporting to be

a cat
person popped up and told me off for daring to mention my poor

doggies.

Soon you'll quickly recognize those who will give dead-on advice and
those who love to hear themselves talk.

have wanted to take my doggies to puppy classes, but they aren't

vaccinated,
and you aren't allowed in without vaccines. Many of you in the US and

Europe
seem to have great vets, and vaccinating seems to be very important.

I'm in Canada so unfortunately I don't know the laws for elsewhere, we
have both mandatory and optional vaccinations but it changes from
province to province. Where I grew up there were no mandatories, where
I like now a three year rabies vaccine is mamdatory.

been taking Sascha for walks in an effort to get her used to other

dogs and
people, as she lived with us on a very isolated property up until now,

we
have recently moved to the city.

I have a 16 year old dog, he's referred to as "the weird little dog" by
my vet. Basically he grew up without other dog friends, but many cat
friends. We did the same thing, constant walks in dog areas letting him
pick up their scent. Gradually, I really don't remember how long, he
would get excited when we'd get close to the park and soon became very
friendly and sociable, it's weird he's a dog magnet and he loves it.

She was also the runt of the litter, as was
honey, but sascha got very picked on by her three stronger brothers,

to the
point where the tips of both her ears have been chewed off. The

breeder then
asked us to take her early, as the other pups wouldn't leave her

alone, and
since then, it's been just us & her.

I hope walking her in doggy areas helps, I really have no advice just
support, please give her a big hug from me, I'm such a sucker for dogs

Trish

Old September 12th 05, 08:19 AM
meee

Trish wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message

[...]

me to i started out as a cat person and my hubby started out as a dog
person, but we've both converted each other- honey is my dog, and he begged
me to keep jasmine!!!