Midnight has an eye ulcer

Old March 30th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

Default Midnight has an eye ulcer

On 2009-03-29, Christina Websell wrote:

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
I haven't been online much because I've been ministering to Midnight who
managed to develop an ulcerated eye since Friday night. The vet has me
giving her eyedrops every 4 hours around the clock (yawn) and I'm due to
take her in for a recheck in a little while. The good news is that I can
already tell the medicine is helping as her eye has gone from icky and
totally closed to mostly open and the drainage is much much less.

Eye ulcers can be bad news. Sometimes vets will sew the eye closed to help
it heal in dogs. Glad to hear the eye drops are helping Midnight even
though it's keeping you up during the night.

They sometimes suture the eyelid closed in cats, too. About 30 years ago
my old tomcat apparently received a scratch across the eye that got
infected and required medication, in this case a cream. The vet told me
then that they sometimes had to suture the eyelid closed for it to heal
properly. He used fluorescein dye to visualize the ulcer. Cats sneeze
when you squirt liquids in their eyes because it drains right into their
noses. It is unkind to laugh at the poor cat when that happens.

Bud
Old March 30th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default UPDATE 3/30 good news! (Was: Midnight has an eye ulcer)

First of all, thank you everyone for your kind replies and purrs for
Midnight!

Midnight and I are both happy campers at this point! The vet visit turned
out to have excellent news as Midnight's eye responded amazingly well. When
the vet put in the florescing drops, the ulcerated area had healed! She was
thrilled and so were we - so now I just have to put in the antibiotic drops
for 2 more days and now only 3x/day.
Hurrah! And, talk about a happy kitty to get that collar off! Midnight is
my moody girlcat but wow, was she sweet and purry yesterday after we took
the collar off.

Her medicine drops in case anyone is interested for the future are an
antibiotic called Tobramycin.

Again, many thanks, ya'll!
Christine

Old March 30th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

That's wonderful news!

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old March 30th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christine Burel wrote:

First of all, thank you everyone for your kind replies and purrs for
Midnight!

Midnight and I are both happy campers at this point! The vet visit turned
out to have excellent news as Midnight's eye responded amazingly well. When
the vet put in the florescing drops, the ulcerated area had healed! She was
thrilled and so were we - so now I just have to put in the antibiotic drops
for 2 more days and now only 3x/day.
Hurrah! And, talk about a happy kitty to get that collar off! Midnight is
my moody girlcat but wow, was she sweet and purry yesterday after we took
the collar off.

I'm so glad to hear it!

--
Joyce ^..^