myMSN says declawing is an option...

Old November 8th 03, 03:33 AM
jen.d

Default myMSN says declawing is an option...

.... if your cat keeps on scratching things. Oh, and that they "removes only
the nails". Is this ever true? Doesn't it always take toe and cartiledge?

OK, I don't want to start anything, but I was disgusted by this article:

http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...03_d eclawing

And I wrote a letter to voice my strong feelings of disgust he

http://www.msn.com/feedback.armx

Probably overreacted, but it doesn't help the battle to end this horrible
act. Sure it gives "alternatives", but calling it a *viable option* on the
big MSN site is not cool in my humble opinion.

Jen.

PS: please forward to whatever animal welfare socities, other newsgroups,
people, blah blah that might want to send feedback.

Old November 8th 03, 04:14 AM
Karen

in article XBYqb.337931$6C4.216599@pd7tw1no, jen.d at ITTER

http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...sn_100103_d e
clawing

And I wrote a letter to voice my strong feelings of disgust he

http://www.msn.com/feedback.armx

Probably overreacted, but it doesn't help the battle to end this horrible
act. Sure it gives "alternatives", but calling it a *viable option* on the
big MSN site is not cool in my humble opinion.

Jen.

PS: please forward to whatever animal welfare socities, other newsgroups,
people, blah blah that might want to send feedback.

I guess what makes me the most mad is that it is always advised at three or
four months, which,of course, DOES make the surgery quicker to heal BUT that
is not a time to decide whether the cat can be trained!!!!!! It's far too
young~ It is a catch 22 to advise this. It's very troubling.

Karen

Old November 8th 03, 04:56 AM
Mary

And I wrote a letter to voice my strong feelings of disgust he

I wrote a letter and submitted it. Here's a copy.

I just read the below article
http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...&name=msn_1001
03_declawing

Declawing is illegal in many countries as it is inhumane. It is also illegal in
a few cities in the US with more making it illegal every day. It's easy to
teach your cat how to scratch and sharpen his claws in an acceptable manner. It
just takes a tiny bit of patience.

Your article makes declawing seem like nothing, "just taking off the nail."
They don't just take off the nail. They chop off the entire last digit of each
"toe." Then the kitty must try to walk with the last digits of his "toes" cut
off. They also cut the tendon to the claws which can also cause pain and
irritation. There can also be medical complications.

Perhaps you should have offered your readers some suggestions on how to stop
inappropriate clawing instead of giving them the easy, lazy, uneducated way
out. If they are truly too lazy to train their kitty, they shouldn't have one
in the first place and should find an acceptable new home for the kitty. If
they are truly determind to have a declawed cat, they can go to the shelter and
adopt one already declawed instead of mutilating another.

Please print this letter because your article was very one sided.
Old November 8th 03, 04:58 AM
Mary

I forgot. My cat scratching tips.

1. Hopefully he likes catnip. If so, rub it all over the scratching post.
Scratch the post yourself, if he still doesn't use it, take his little paws and
scratch the post with them and tell him he's a good kitty. Remember to
associate positive things with acceptable clawing and negative things with
unacceptable clawing.

2. Try a scratching mat. Some prefer horizontal over vetical surfaces.

3. Try sisal, rug, cardboard, fabric... covered trees or mat. You can get cheap
thin door mats and staple gun them to a cat tree. Use canvas if he really likes
fabric. Be sure the stapes go vertical like this "|" and not horizontal like
this "--" so they don't get their claws stuck in there.

4. Put double sided tape where he likes to scratch. They won't like the
stickiness. They may then scratch a few inches over from the tape so be
prepared to add more. Keep no. 5 in mind when using the tape.

5. Don't let him in that room where he scratches when you're not around. When
you're around stand gaurd with a squirt gun and squirt him from a distance when
he scratches the furniture. If he's real persistent, put a little bit of
vinegar in the squirt gun. You can also yell "NO!" when he scratches there. I
also like to take him away from that area instantly and take him to the
scratchy tree, hold his paws and help him scratch while praising him. Make it a
fun experience, don't hold him forcefully or he'll fear the kitty tree. Make
everything associated with the kitty tree positive. I sometimes will put a
scratchy tree close to the furniture they are clawing so they have a nearby
alternative.

6. Put vinegar where he scratches. They don't like the smell.

7. Try some of that cat away spray.

8. Try a scat mat where he is scratching.

9. Get rid of fabric furniture with vertical fabric sides. Get THICK leather or
wood sofa and chairs.

10. Try soft paws.

11. Try trimming his claws every ten days. Some do once a week.

12. Whenever you see him clawing appropriately, praise and reward him lavishly.
Continue to praise him forever or he may get lazy.

13. Try Feliway to calm them down.

14. Make sure your cat tree is tall and heavy enough. Big kitties will topple a
small light one with a small base. I put weights on the bottom of mine. I get
the big ones. I also have a multi-tier cat tree they like to rip up.

Old November 8th 03, 07:26 AM
Steve Touchstone

I have a couple to add to your suggestions that worked with Sammy.
When she was a kitten she liked the raw wood that frames my doorways
and the edge of the fabric furniture. I sprayed a vinegar water mix on
the wood, and put a siscal post next to her favorite corner of the
couch. She's not a big fan of catnip, but I was able to get her
interested in the new scratch post by occassionally putting a cat
treat on the top of the post.

I still have to spray the raw wood trim about once a week, but she's
forgotten all about the furniture, even though it's been ages since I
put any treats on top.

--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email
Old November 8th 03, 08:27 AM
Takayuki

Karen wrote:
I guess what makes me the most mad is that it is always advised at three or
four months, which,of course, DOES make the surgery quicker to heal BUT that
is not a time to decide whether the cat can be trained!!!!!! It's far too
young~ It is a catch 22 to advise this. It's very troubling.

That's a good point, Karen. It doesn't seem like a very well thought
out article.

Old November 8th 03, 05:52 PM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:33:27 GMT, "jen.d" wrote:

... if your cat keeps on scratching things. Oh, and that they "removes only
the nails". Is this ever true? Doesn't it always take toe and cartiledge?

OK, I don't want to start anything, but I was disgusted by this article:

http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...03_d eclawing

Keep in mind what the source is: Microsoft - any advice from Microsoft
is either untrue or useless. Or both. Almost always.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old November 9th 03, 05:40 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote on 11/7/03 8:33 PM:

[...]

I finally stopped taking my cats to their old vet, partly because of the
distance to Pasadena from where I am now living, but also because he
began advertising laser surgery for declawing. (Before that, I had not
realized that he would actually perform the surgery at all!) Laser may
be quicker and less painful for the cat, but it's still unnecessary
amputation, IMO!
Old November 9th 03, 07:13 PM
jen.d

http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...ame=msn_100103

_declawing

Keep in mind what the source is: Microsoft - any advice from Microsoft
is either untrue or useless. Or both. Almost always.

Ha! Good point

Jen.