declawing

Old August 11th 03, 02:53 AM
Relish

bewtifulfreak wrote:
"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message

Good luck with that statement. This group is nothing but extremists
who like to flame away people who are not of like mind or who they
cannot convert.

I'm not an extremist, but the fact is, most countries have banned declawing
for a reason,

Extremist: One is winning an argument with a declawer.

I'm not an extremist either. In fact, I detest protests and
agenda-driven bull**** activism.

But this is a simple case of people choosing to maim their pets for
their own convenience. There is no gray area here. It's just wrong.
THAT is why people like Brandy like to resort to the E word. It
creates a fantasy that maybe they're not horrible people. But they are.

Old August 11th 03, 02:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , BrandyÂ*Alexandre at
? wrote on 8/10/03 7:34 PM:

bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I'm not an extremist, but the fact is, most countries have banned
declawing for a reason, and many vets have expressed their
professional opinion that declawing is harmful to a cat, that it
can cause a lot of pain, and often psychological and/or behavior
problems. I don't see why they would do this if it was just a
matter of personal preference. Considering how rarely governments
consider animal rights, the fact that so many have considered
declawing harmful enough to ban it sends a very strong message,
and there are certainly a number of fact-laden articles all over
the 'Net (many by vets) supporting that viewpoint. There is also
a great deal of anecdotal evidence regarding the aforementioned
psychological and behavior problems, much of it from shelters
dealing with the fallout of this proceedure.

That is the reason it's very difficult for most people here not to
get angry, extreme or resort to name calling when they hear of
people trying to justify the proceedure; it is unneccessary, and
there is a lot of evidence which supports the idea that it can
cause a cat a lot of misery. And as this group is full of animal
lovers, it angers them to hear people trying to justify an
unecessary procedure that makes innocent animals suffer....that's
only natural.

Ann

Some European countries banned the use of nickel in their coins. You
cannot take a Vicks inhaler to Japan, nor can you take nail glue (krazy
glue). Every country has its forbidden things that simply do not make
sense to the rest of the world. Some countries EAT cats and dogs.
Some countries are starving and won't eat cattle, for heavens sake.
Some Asian countries think it's insane that we drink milk because their
bodies are complely intolerant of lactose.

There are regional and cultural issues surrounding everything we do and
one country will be in line with it while another will not. Glom on to
whatever fits within your ideal, but don't discount everything that
does not as "just wrong." Because by and large it isn't. It's just an
opinion. How many industrialized nations are there in the world
anyway? Twenty of them have banned declawing. Half of them admit
there's still an underground for it and the results have been similar
to the banning of abortion--disfigurement and death. If that's what
you want to happen to cats, fine. I think you're cruel.

We aren't talking abut ONE country but rather every country except the US
and Canada.

Karen

Old August 11th 03, 02:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , BrandyÂ*Alexandre at
? wrote on 8/10/03 7:34 PM:

bewtifulfreak wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Old August 11th 03, 03:18 AM
Cheryl

Gary wrote in :

I have trained mine to sharpen their
claws on rubber flip-flops ("shower shoes"), and I buy a sacrificial pair
every year just for them. I actually got down and showed them how to use
them (repeatedly); it didn't take long till they had the idea.

Figure it out! (My cats did)

LOL I remember you.

To the unbelievers, cats can be trained. I have a new feral cat and she is
already learning from the others where to scratch and I haven't even had to
show her. Her first months were in the wild. This pic with her near a
very scratched up post is part of what teaches her. The others had to
learn before her so she has an advantage. My furniture is intact. My skin,
well, we like to play rough sometimes.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/75552731/85147301OptGat

--
Cheryl

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti.

Old August 11th 03, 03:29 AM
PawsForThought

From: "bewtifulfreak"

"Relish" wrote in message

Ditto. There is NO excuse for declawing cats. A caring,
compassionate person will make the comparitively small effort to learn
how to train the cats and invest the couple months needed to do so.

Scratching posts and sticky pawa are all you need, along with a small
bnit of intlligence and some patience.

Anything else is simply a lazy, arrogant cop out.

If you feel your cats need declawing, find another pet.

Amen. It really is a cop out, when you just can't be bothered. If you
train them to the scratching post, and keep their claws trimmed, that covers
both the furniture and you. And if you're still getting scratched, well
then maybe that tells you something about your animal skills. Otherwise, a
bit of time and effort are all that's required. People only declaw because
they're thinking of their own convenience over the cat's; yes, maybe the cat
does still love you, but that doesn't mean it didn't suffer, and that
doesn't mean what you did was necessary. It just means you couldn't be
bothered, in which case, as was indicated above, you shouldn't bother having
a cat.

Ann

I agree. At the very least they could have adopted an already declawed cat.
People that declaw don't deserve to have cats.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe