Fat Cat on Hunger Strike After Owner Goes Away

Old April 12th 04, 01:12 AM
lrulan

oh no
Poor cat. I wish his human had relatives who could have kept Miskesch. We
will purr and pray that he loses weight but regains his good life. Poor
baby.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Duke of URL" wrote in message
Berlin, Fourth Reich (Bild) - An obese cat six times the normal weight has
gone on a hunger strike at an animal shelter after being taken from his
owner who fed him four lbs of minced meat daily.
Mikesch, weighing nearly 41 lbs, was brought to the shelter April 1 so
overweight he could not take more than four steps without becoming
exhausted. His elderly owner was at the same time taken to a nursing home.
Shelter officials said 6-yo Mikesch is so fat he cannot clean himself and
suffers from heart trouble. They said he felt lost without his owner and
stopped eating altogether when he was put on a diet to gradually lose
weight.
A shelter worker will take Mikesch home with her for 10 days to help get

his
appetite back, shelter head Ruff said. "The cat had a good night in her

flat
on the first night and that's giving us hope his condition will improve."
Ordinary cats usually weigh between six and 12 lbs and eat no more than
about 10 ounces of food each day, vets say.
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses

Old April 12th 04, 02:01 AM
RoseTower

Duke of URL wrote:
"RoseTower" wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...2175698876.jpg

Here's a link to a picture of the poor, sad baby. Sorry, 36+I don't
know how to make the link smaller

Thanks. I should've put that in originally, but didn't think of it in time.
He appears happy enough in the photo, not in pain or anything. I expect,
since he's only 6, he'll bounce right back as the excess poundage is shed.
Given that Bild has a *huge* distribution over there, I suspect the shelter
already has a list of people offering him a home.

I showed Killer the picture and told him that if he doesn't do more sit-ups
he's going to look like that. I received one of *those looks*...

Lol! That's Squeaky's personal goal in life, to weigh that much. The
ironic thing is that my little chubbette who is overweight is more
active than the three other slim, average size cats. She runs through
the house chasing the others to play, she slams onto the cat tree and
performs gymnastics, and leaps for the feather on a stick. The others go
"yawn".

Eve

Old April 12th 04, 10:28 AM
Duke of URL

"RoseTower" wrote in message
Duke of URL wrote:
"RoseTower" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, Killer's active enough - he runs, jumps (sorta), scrambles... All mostly
He just can't bend in the middle. At all. Squeezing his torso feels like
squeezing a wee hairy oaken keg.
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses

Old April 12th 04, 05:35 PM
RoseTower

Duke of URL wrote:
"RoseTower" wrote in message

Duke of URL wrote:

Lol! That's Squeaky's personal goal in life, to weigh that much. The
ironic thing is that my little chubbette who is overweight is more
active than the three other slim, average size cats. She runs through
the house chasing the others to play, she slams onto the cat tree and
performs gymnastics, and leaps for the feather on a stick. The others go
"yawn".

Oh, Killer's active enough - he runs, jumps (sorta), scrambles... All mostly
He just can't bend in the middle. At all. Squeezing his torso feels like
squeezing a wee hairy oaken keg.

Awww! What a cute image!

Eve

Old April 12th 04, 09:51 PM
CajunPrincess

Duke of URL wrote:
[...]

I'm hoping that there's a mistake in the reported weight. I saw the
picture when the story first came out and my reaction was that there
was no way the cat in the picture weighs 41 lbs based on pictures I've
seen of other overweight cats. It's hard to judge from the picture,
though.

Old April 13th 04, 05:44 AM
Sherry

I'm hoping that there's a mistake in the reported weight. I saw the
picture when the story first came out and my reaction was that there
was no way the cat in the picture weighs 41 lbs based on pictures I've
seen of other overweight cats. It's hard to judge from the picture,
though.

I'm hoping that there's a mistake in the reported weight. I saw the
picture when the story first came out and my reaction was that there
was no way the cat in the picture weighs 41 lbs based on pictures I've
seen of other overweight cats. It's hard to judge from the picture,
though.

There was another photo when this story first came out that I found on google
news. A woman was holding the cat against her body, stomach facing the camera.
It was unbelievably huge, and in tthat photo, looked every ounce of 41 pounds.

Sherry