KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 19th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

On Aug 18, 11:10�pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Aug 18, 6:52 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I know a bath will be difficult for KittyFC. �I haven't made my mind up
whether to go ahead with it or not.
On the one hand she needs one, on the other hand do I need to put her
through it at her age when I know she will hate it?
Does it matter if her fur is greasy? �It doesn't seem to bother her, so
should I worry about it more than she does?

Tweed

Baking soda can be brushed through a cat's fur to absorb grease. �You
would
want to brush it out thoroughly, and I know that can be difficult with
KFC
(but probably not as difficult as a bath).

MaryL

This sounds really stupid, Tweed, but I googled something that has
been in
my memory for years....years ago - and I mean really years ago - my
mother
used to clean her fox fur wrap by brushing plain cornmeal through it.
I googled
cornmeal as fur degreaser and got lots of links thereto. I don't go
for fur except
fake (got lots of that since coming here) but what do you think of
that idea?
Guess you'd need a good strong brush but not irritating to KFC.

Yes, my understanding is that cornmeal and baking soda (or corn starch) do
essentially the same thing. �Corn meal is more coarse, so it is easier to
brush out but also may not be as absorbent.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Totally offtopic, but I have a Native American friend who makes me
buckskin moccasins. That's how
you clean them. Rub them with cornmeal, and brush it away. It really
works.

Sherry --- who practically lives in moccasins
Old August 19th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

CatNipped wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

I'm not responding to the disagreement about the shampoo. I will
decide what I think is best for her. ~ that is due to my
intelligence. Sometimes I am so intelligent that I surprise myself
at being able to decide what best to do ;-)

Tweed

Oh, but Tweed, you may have misread it the first 5 or 6 times she
posted it! ;

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped ----- running and ducking

To be fair I *do* appreciate tripsovercats advice. I read it and consider
it carefully every time. I can't say I appreciate the tone it's delivered
in but I realise that there is real concern for KFC there.
I often cannot take that advice for various reasons, often the cultural
difference between what is available for cats here in the UK and the USA.
Take sub-q fluids for example in one of my previous threads. It's really not
allowed for owners to adminster them to their animals here and those few
vets in the UK who allow it that I was urged to get in touch with are
sailing very close to the wind. If they got found out they would surely be
struck off.

I found my own way round that with oral rehydration fluid which Kitty is
happy to drink. When she was in CRF crisis a while ago she drank it all the
time even when she had plain water as a choice. Now she gets a litre of it
(which lasts 3 days or so) every two weeks. It keeps her ticking along.

As for the shampoo (noun and verb) I'll be making my own mind up about that
too. I will take into consideration all the helpful posts on here and will
talk to my vet about what I decide.
He'll be very surprised to learn that not only is she still alive (he had
that needle ready..) but is eating well (okay, mainly chicken, not ideal)
has put on weight and now needs a bit more beautifying. He'll be glad to be
proved wrong.
I don't really blame him for thinking she had no chance at that time. She
had stopped eating entirely, was extremely thin, was wandering and getting
lost and had bad diarrhoea. pooing everywhere in the house. Plus she looked
like she hadn't been groomed for a million years. If you were a vet, what
would you say? The same thing, probably.
He reluctantly treated her and said I must be prepared to say goodbye very
soon.
I knew he was wrong. I *knew* she would come right. With the steroid
injection to boost the appetite, the poo meds which stopped the diarrhoea.
we are on track. It was very worrying when she was wandering and seeming
desperate to get away from her home. The upside is I now have very high
fences, but it was heartbreaking to see her using all her strength to escape
from here. I put it down to an infection she had at that time.
It took a long time before I was brave enough to let her out again.

She's fine now. She can be trusted at long last. "What? Go out if it's
not sunny? Leave the doors open and I'll just sleep here on top of the
freezer in the conservatory" That's a hotly debated place, it's Boyfie's
favourite sleeping place too.
N calls it "Boyfriend's beloved freezer."

Tweed

Old August 19th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

That's *SO* good to hear. May she sail proudly along for quite some time
yet - she is truly the grande olde dame of the newsgroup and we're all
rooting for her!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Gandalf wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:08:27 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

It looks like your wish of getting to spend the summer with KFG has
been granted!

Yes. I'm happy about that. She was so poorly earlier in the year that it
seemed unlikely.
We haven't had a summer though. Rain, rain and more rain, I was hoping for
sunshine for her.
Word is on the local radio that's it's the worst summer in my area since
1912!

Tweed
Is it raining now? Yes..

Old August 20th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

If you can't find wipes, why don't you just use an old rough washcloth, with
water on it and wipe her while holding her lovingly (if possible?) Last time
I actually bathed Woodgie, I dosed her with a few drops of a herbal
something or other (it was mentioned long ago by someone English, I believe)
and we got through a tub bath (shower doors, not curtains) pretty easy.
Anyway, good luck!
/\,,,/\
(='.'=)
(")_(") Kathy, Woodgie's Gramma

Old August 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message
I had a very impudent thought reading your post and mine....KFC (does

Tweed
know what that means in the USA?

Yes, it means Kentucky Fried Chicken, same as it does here. I just use the
initials to abbreviate her name when posting to save me writing "Kitty
Farmcat" all the time. I don't acually call her that ;-)

Tweed