How do I cope with a depressed cat?

Old July 14th 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default How do I cope with a depressed cat?

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 11:01 pm, "Joy" wrote:

(((((((Lesley)))))))

Thanks

It's very strange of course I was devastated for the first few days
but I seemed to be getting better but since about Tuesday I keep
thinking about her and I can't stop crying anything sets me off- a sad
song on the radio just now even through it's one I don't like had me
in floods

Lesley

***

I've found that grief works that way. It seems to be subsiding, then
another wave hits. Often some little thing can set it off. That applies to
all kinds of grief.

Joy

Old July 14th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:01 pm, "Joy" wrote:

(((((((Lesley)))))))

Thanks

It's very strange of course I was devastated for the first few days
but I seemed to be getting better but since about Tuesday I keep
thinking about her and I can't stop crying anything sets me off- a sad
song on the radio just now even through it's one I don't like had me
in floods

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I still miss, Snoopy, terribly and it's nearly 18 months since she went
to the bridge.
--
Adrian

I know what you mean. It was 3 years last month since Nanki-Poo went to the
bridge, and I still cry over him frequently.

Joy

Old July 15th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jul 14, 11:53*am, CatNipped wrote:
On 7/14/2011 7:30 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

On Jul 13, 11:01 pm, *wrote:

(((((((Lesley)))))))

Thanks

It's very strange of course I was devastated for the first few days
but I seemed to be getting better but since about Tuesday I keep
thinking about her and I can't stop crying anything sets me off- a sad
song on the radio just now even through it's one I don't like had me
in floods

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I went through the same thing, Lesley. *At first I was in shock because
it happened so fast and unexpectedly. *Then the shock wore off, and then
after a while the sadness and depression set in. *Just as you're
experiencing. *Soon though you'll get to acceptance (which doesn't mean
you don't still cry - heck, I still cry for my Bandit and it's bee
*years* since she passed and I was totally "ready" for her passage).

{{{{{Lesley}}}}}

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

Rusty went to RB in October. I was getting used to not having him
around.
Then recently I dreamed of him twice. One time was shortly before his
adoption anniversary in June, and I dreamed that he was back and I
was frantically looking for a litter box for him since I gave away
his box
after his departure. Then a few days ago I dreamed I was picking up
Rusty in my arms and looking into his face. He looked so much better
than my last image of him. Sigh!
Old July 15th 11, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Bad move last night- went gaming for the first time and my good mate
Hugh had to console me and ask what happened- if I;d had any sense I'd
have said "Thanks but I;d rather not talk about it" as it was I sat
and cried my eyes out for a couple of hours then went home

Old July 15th 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Bad move last night- went gaming for the first time and my good
mate
Hugh had to console me and ask what happened- if I;d had any
sense I'd
have said "Thanks but I;d rather not talk about it" as it was I
sat
and cried my eyes out for a couple of hours then went home

"It's good to talk".

--
MatSav

Old July 16th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jul 15, 4:14*am, "MatSav" wrote:

"It's good to talk".

Well it certainly wasn't Thursday night but I guess since then I feel
a little better so maybe it was

Old July 17th 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

And now we're facing the big challenge - next weekend..... we're out
at the charity gig Dave's organised Friday from about 6 then the next
2 days we're leaving home about 12 and not getting back until possibly
about 12 both days so Sarsi is going to be home alone for the first
time in her entire life (I have seriously regretted not leash training
her/toyed with taking her in the carrier but it will be a long day and
she could bolt if I opened the carrier to feed her not to mention
it'll be too hot or if the weather is like it is today too cold and
wet)

If we come back and find she's upset/has wrecked the joint/peed
everywhere/ all of the above then she'll be giving us a clear sign
that she wants a feline friend and we will have to take action
surprisingly I want to- there's a certain grimness in knowing I have 1
cat aged 8 if she lives as long as Issi did then I'll be 61 and Dave
will undoubtedly say we're too old and "I'm not going through losing
another one!" and we would no longer have the herd of wildebeast at
3AM effect/ standing in mysterious piles of something warm and sticky
when I get up/ having to cart huge sacks of cat litter back from the
shops/ going out of my way to get decent dry as all the local shops
only sell "Go Cat"/getting scratched to bits trying to force a cat
into a carrier for the trip to the vets/the vet bills/ the sight of a
cat washing it's backside knowing full well it's going to then lick
your face/ having what feels like a ton weight with attached razors
land on your full bladder in the middle of the night/cleaning boxes
full of cat waste to be polite about it/ being unable to move because
a feline had decided to sleep on top of you/running the heating when
you're not that cold but the cat is/hearing the complaining whine when
it's too hot and somehow you're supposed to turn the Sun down/ getting
half a ton of cat hair off an outfit just before an interview/ cat
hair getting up your nose/ETC

I am so not trying to think of how much all this is worth it when a
cat gives you hours of cheap fun with only a red laser greeble/when
they make a wrong move and flash you the "I meant to do that" look
while you're laughing/just having them around/dozing off at night with
purring in your ear/when they purr as you skritchie them/being sad and
having a furry buddy to hug/the moment when they roll over to get a
tummy tickle......

Old July 18th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Finally Sarsi has made it perfectly clear to Dave she doesn't look for
Dunzi much now (occasionally she'll get out the front door and stare
forlornly up the stairs) but he's with her all day and says she spends
most of her time sleeping- this morning she was crashed out on the bed
and Dave said "Are you getting up today?" and he swears she looked at
him as if to say "Why bother?". He gives her as much attention as he
can but there are times when it's clear she misses having someone else
around to share mutual washing and play fighting and Dave draws the
line at licking her and his back won't stand trying to play fight and
he lacks a tail to fluff up or a really effective hiss.... Like
she;ll sit on the arm of the sofa but whereas before she was facing
him now she just turns her back and mopes yeah wave the fether onna
stick and she'll come running then get bored of it after a few minutes
she just goes back to moping around....

He's now said we have to bite the bullet and get a kitten (Just one-
sadly this means the pair Sharon K mentioned from Celia Hammond ages
ago- the slow tabby and his/her brother/sister are out ) so we'll be
looking into that next week when I am off work- we have a vacancy-
some little kitten needs a good home- so if all goes well then I
should be able to put the "S" back at the end of my signature soon-ish

Obviously it's up to Sarsi at the end we may have misread her mood but
she looks so lonely and our going out at the weekend won't help.
Funny I was only thinking this evening as I let myself in "I'd give
anything to hear Sarsi had wrecked the joint that's more like her"

So fingers crossed here we go again

Old July 19th 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/18/2011 4:08 PM, Lesley wrote:
[...]

I say go for it! I just wish we had the money to get another cat or
kitten... we could use the new life in our home.

Old July 19th 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jul 18, 7:39*pm, CatNipped wrote:

I say go for it! *I just wish we had the money to get another cat or
kitten... we could use the new life in our home.

Dave now says Sarsi seems okay today for a bit. Yes I know it's not
an impulse decision but looking at her I feel like saying "We get a
kitten or you can pill her twice a day on antidepressants" like most
depression suffers she has good moments but then I've come in and
she's had her tea then gone back to moping

I think we'll be looking for a "free to good home" kitten or as I call
them "pre-rescue". A shelter cares about who gets a kitten but some
people don't (The woman who had Sarsi and Dunzi's mum had no interest
in keeping them and if she hadn't found a home would have given them
to a local pet shop and taken half what they'd sell for- even through
black cats often get overlooked) and I know this is a good home- maybe
a bit untidy but good meals/ clean tray/slave on call more or less all
the time (we go out now and again)/ plenty of places to climb (Our
ceilings are high and we have arranged things so cats have plenty of
high places and if we hadn't when they fitted the new kitchen a couple
of years back the new cupboards must have been designed by someone who
knows cats- they're high and just in the right position to catch the
Sun)/clean water/vet bills covered/ toys provided and used/grooming
sessions available on demand/scratching post installed (and a certain
amount of tolerance if a kitten instead uses the toilet roll- we're
used to it) and most importantly tons of love and skritchies

Anyway I am off work next week (have to go to a funeral Tuesday but
otherwise completely free to meet potential owners and be here when
the one we have been forunate enough to be chosen by arrives)

Yeah I'm nervous- we;ve always had sisters before (or Speedy Joe who
was a single cat)- we don't have a spare room to isolate new arrival
and do the gradual introduction bit- we could keep kitten in a large
carrier (We have a pet taxi that is big enough for a medium sized dog-
a Dalmatian according to the pictures on the side- we liked the cats
to have room to move when they were in it-) I didn't use it for
Dunzi's last trip- (now there's a weird thing the week before she
crossed the Bridge I was looking through the washing basket and came
across some hand towels we don't use- and for some reason (make the
weight up or machine is noisy on spin when it's running a small load
and Dave always yells at me to keep an eye on it-) I shoved them in
the machine- at least it meant Dunzi's last bed was comfortable
because they were clean and soft) and I'll give it a wash out before
installing a kitten- it's easily big enough for some bedding- a small
food dish and a small litter tray (where do you get them or do you
improvise?). The basic rule is the kitten stays in the pen whilst we
make a big fuss of Sarsi (She was here first) and we can introduce
them slowly if the kitten is penned

I suppose what I am worried about is have we misjudged Sarsi? She
seems lonely but what if she greets the kitten by ripping them to
bits! She was always sociable with Dunzi- she was the one who
instigated washing even when Dunzi who could be a little madam
sometimes (Let's put it this wayif Sarsi had crossed the Bridge and
not Dunzi then we would not be having this conversation) in fcat she
could be an out and out bully towards Sarsi but Sarsi would always try
again and again to have a playmate

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideas?