How do I cope with a depressed cat?

Old July 19th 11, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default How do I cope with a depressed cat?

Lesley wrote:

I think we'll be looking for a "free to good home" kitten or as I call
them "pre-rescue".

That's a great idea. You know that *your* home is a good place for a
kitten, so you'll be saving it from potentially ending up with someone
irresponsible or worse. People should have to pay something - it weeds
out all the "impulse adopters" as well as those who'd hope to make a
profit from it.

I suppose what I am worried about is have we misjudged Sarsi? She
seems lonely but what if she greets the kitten by ripping them to
bits! She was always sociable with Dunzi- she was the one who
instigated washing even when Dunzi who could be a little madam
sometimes (Let's put it this wayif Sarsi had crossed the Bridge and
not Dunzi then we would not be having this conversation) in fcat she
could be an out and out bully towards Sarsi but Sarsi would always try
again and again to have a playmate

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideas?

Could you do a foster-to-adopt (as in "rent-to-buy") type of thing? Or
make an arrangement that the adoption is provisional until you know that
they're doing ok together?

Joyce

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old July 19th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/19/2011 3:21 PM, Lesley wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:39 pm, wrote:

I say go for it! I just wish we had the money to get another cat or
kitten... we could use the new life in our home.

Dave now says Sarsi seems okay today for a bit. Yes I know it's not
an impulse decision but looking at her I feel like saying "We get a
kitten or you can pill her twice a day on antidepressants" like most
depression suffers she has good moments but then I've come in and
she's had her tea then gone back to moping

I think we'll be looking for a "free to good home" kitten or as I call
them "pre-rescue". A shelter cares about who gets a kitten but some
people don't (The woman who had Sarsi and Dunzi's mum had no interest
in keeping them and if she hadn't found a home would have given them
to a local pet shop and taken half what they'd sell for- even through
black cats often get overlooked) and I know this is a good home- maybe
a bit untidy but good meals/ clean tray/slave on call more or less all
the time (we go out now and again)/ plenty of places to climb (Our
ceilings are high and we have arranged things so cats have plenty of
high places and if we hadn't when they fitted the new kitchen a couple
of years back the new cupboards must have been designed by someone who
knows cats- they're high and just in the right position to catch the
Sun)/clean water/vet bills covered/ toys provided and used/grooming
sessions available on demand/scratching post installed (and a certain
amount of tolerance if a kitten instead uses the toilet roll- we're
used to it) and most importantly tons of love and skritchies

Anyway I am off work next week (have to go to a funeral Tuesday but
otherwise completely free to meet potential owners and be here when
the one we have been forunate enough to be chosen by arrives)

Yeah I'm nervous- we;ve always had sisters before (or Speedy Joe who
was a single cat)- we don't have a spare room to isolate new arrival
and do the gradual introduction bit- we could keep kitten in a large
carrier (We have a pet taxi that is big enough for a medium sized dog-
a Dalmatian according to the pictures on the side- we liked the cats
to have room to move when they were in it-) I didn't use it for
Dunzi's last trip- (now there's a weird thing the week before she
crossed the Bridge I was looking through the washing basket and came
across some hand towels we don't use- and for some reason (make the
weight up or machine is noisy on spin when it's running a small load
and Dave always yells at me to keep an eye on it-) I shoved them in
the machine- at least it meant Dunzi's last bed was comfortable
because they were clean and soft) and I'll give it a wash out before
installing a kitten- it's easily big enough for some bedding- a small
food dish and a small litter tray (where do you get them or do you
improvise?). The basic rule is the kitten stays in the pen whilst we
make a big fuss of Sarsi (She was here first) and we can introduce
them slowly if the kitten is penned

I suppose what I am worried about is have we misjudged Sarsi? She
seems lonely but what if she greets the kitten by ripping them to
bits! She was always sociable with Dunzi- she was the one who
instigated washing even when Dunzi who could be a little madam
sometimes (Let's put it this wayif Sarsi had crossed the Bridge and
not Dunzi then we would not be having this conversation) in fcat she
could be an out and out bully towards Sarsi but Sarsi would always try
again and again to have a playmate

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideas?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I have never, *EVER* had a cat (even Bitch Cat From Hell, Bandit) who
would hurt a kitten. As soon as the older cat hisses or shows
displeasure a kitten will roll over into the "I give up", "Uncle"
position and the older cat will sniff disdainfully and walk away.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 20th 11, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Jul 19, 11:55*pm, CatNipped wrote:

I have never, *EVER* had a cat (even Bitch Cat From Hell, Bandit) who
would hurt a kitten. *As soon as the older cat hisses or shows
displeasure a kitten will roll over into the "I give up", "Uncle"
position and the older cat will sniff disdainfully and walk away.

Thanks for that - it's why we agreed on a kitten rather than an older
cat besides which I have this feeling Sarsi will like a new playmate-
I may sometimes paint the image of the heavy metal punk loving feline
fiend from Helll but she has a softer side (just don't tell her I
told you- she's quite proud of the "bad cat" image)

Old July 20th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Now I'm starting to get a bit p***ed off with the Human race - a
Google of "Free kittens East London" throws up a load of people who
are selling kittens (Okay they're adorable and I have no problem with
handing over cash as I know some people believe in doing that and
kittens can be expensive but some peoples expectations suggest they
think they're going to turn a considerable profit- the price of an
ordinary (as much as any kitten can be said to be that) varies from
free- £150!) and I want to knock some sense into 2 people, one is
offering a 10 week old boycat (alas Dave insists on girlcats) free
because "My landlord found about him and won't let me keep him"-why
didn't you check first? And as for the lady with a 12 week tuxedo
girl called Oreo free to good home complete with tray/bowls/bed/toys
because "We are going to have a baby staying for a few months and
can't keep her with a baby in the house" SHEESH!

Old July 20th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 20, 6:24*am, Lesley Madigan wrote:
[...]

The Human Race is over here too and all the idiots aren't in England;
same
lame excuses over here. MileHigh is a city rich in *cat-rescue*
groups, well fueled
by the wealthy residents who are members and workers therein, one of
the few
good things I can say about Cow Town (where the city fathers and
councils are
still fighting about whether grocery stores vs liquor stores can sell
beer on Sunday).
People may be killing each other right and left in south FL but at
least they solved
that major issue years ago, LOL.
Old July 20th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

My first bid is in so to speak - I wanted Oreo but she's been taken
off the listings so I hope she;s found her forever home (or they
worked out they could have a kitten and a baby at the same time) but
this little cute one was also in the running anyway

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/cute-a...itten/84272010

So anyway I've sent them a text expressing an interest and giving them
my contact details she's only just down the road but I can't
realistically pick her up if they let me have her until Monday at the
earliest (being away this weekend pretty much) Wednesday being better
as I am at a funeral Tuesday then again Dave will be at home

Here we go again (it's actually quite hard we're looking at little
hopeful faces and I really wouldn't like to for example go to someone
who has 7 kittens on offer- how would I chose 1? I'd feel so bad
about the other 6!)

Old July 20th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

she does look very cute, I'm rather partial to black and white cats.

--
Adrian
Old July 21st 11, 09:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Jul 20, 10:41*pm, Adrian wrote:

she does look very cute, I'm rather partial to black and white cats.

The guy called me back basically he sounds like he's not particularly
interested in what happens to her, didn't ask me a single question
about myself but anyway 2pm on Monday I'm collecting her! (Mixed
emotions here it's made me cry over Dunzi again but I am sure she
wouldn't mind she was always a good and generous cat apart from
beating up her sister)

Old July 21st 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Jul 20, 10:41 pm, Adrian wrote:

she does look very cute, I'm rather partial to black and white cats.

The guy called me back basically he sounds like he's not particularly
interested in what happens to her, didn't ask me a single question
about myself but anyway 2pm on Monday I'm collecting her! (Mixed
emotions here it's made me cry over Dunzi again but I am sure she
wouldn't mind she was always a good and generous cat apart from
beating up her sister)

Lesley

***

Yes, I'm sure she'd want you to get this kitten. It sounds as though she
needs rescuing.

Joy

Old July 21st 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

My first bid is in so to speak - I wanted Oreo but she's been taken
off the listings so I hope she;s found her forever home (or they
worked out they could have a kitten and a baby at the same time) but
this little cute one was also in the running anyway

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/cute-a...itten/84272010

Oh, a little tuxie girl!! She's pretty.

A new kitty - I'm excited for you!

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.