new foster kittens

Old May 4th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default new foster kittens

Hi,

I just brought home a group of five foster kittens, plus their mom.
My resident can is not happy.....she hisses every time I try and pet
her. Are there any ways to acclamate her to her temporary foster
siblings? Will they work it out on her own??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jenny

Old May 4th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just brought home a group of five foster kittens, plus their mom.
My resident can is not happy.....she hisses every time I try and pet
her. Are there any ways to acclamate her to her temporary foster
siblings? Will they work it out on her own??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have mama and the kittens in their own room?

Old May 4th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just brought home a group of five foster kittens, plus their mom.
My resident can is not happy.....she hisses every time I try and pet
her. Are there any ways to acclamate her to her temporary foster
siblings? Will they work it out on her own??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jenny

I never let my fosters interact with my resident cats. It's not worth the
risk as you never know what the fosters could be dragging in with them (if
they lived in a good environment and were well fed they wouldn't be fosters)
and I also don't know what my own might be harboring that the fosters
haven't been exposed to. I keep my fosters in a spare room and have a
Feliway diffuser plugged in right outside that door. It's also a good idea
to wash your hands after handling the fosters.

Old May 4th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

--------
I agree. When I was fostering, I kept my foster cats totally separated from
my resident cats. If I would ultimately decided to keep a foster (which I
did too many times and that's how I ended up with five resident cats and
that's why I no longer foster :-), I did not introduce the fosters to the
others until I had the foster tested for feline leukemia one more time (the
fosters were all vaccinated and already tested by the rescue group as part
of the intake procedure, but I know there can be a window where feline
leukemia is undetected, so I wanted to be sure). I also made sure that my
resident cats were current on all their vaccinations (including the feline
leukemia vaccination). Normally, I try to vaccinate my resident cats as
little as possible (since vaccinations do have a down side) since they are
strictly indoors and the most recent "escape" was in 2001.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old May 4th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 11:33, "Wendy" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I can tell you that this is true too, to my terrible detriment & that
of my own cats too. I lost an entire litter of kittens by not
observing the rule of no contact, and one of my girls caught the flu
even though they were all inoculated, it ripped right through the
house and wiped my littler of baby Ragdolls out..it was devastating &
I have no wish to see you go through the same thing that we did,
however remote the chances are....

PLEASE Observe just that one rule and you might be saving the litters
lives's, truly!!
Every word of what Wendy( & Cindy;o) tells you here is all excellent
advice...
Keep as clean as poss at all times and keep the cats separated too.
Good Luck
S;o)

Old May 4th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I am keeping them seperated. The foster cats have the run of the
basement and the resident cats food and litter box are on the main
level. But still she knows something is up......is hiding in an attic
closet and won't come out.....

Old May 5th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wendy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'm screwed. An abaonded female had her kittens outside and I brought
her in to a spare room. The kittens are now 7 weeks and when I open the
door one of them runs out and so does the mother and interacts with my
other cats. Impossible to stop. I have set up an adoption process to
get them all (mother and kittens fixed and into a Petsmart store [please
patronize them...they give space for adoptions] but that won't happen
for 2 or 3 more weeks.
Old May 5th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 May, 21:45, wrote:
I am keeping them seperated. The foster cats have the run of the
basement and the resident cats food and litter box are on the main
level. But still she knows something is up......is hiding in an attic
closet and won't come out.....

Good for you. I wasn't trying to scaremonger you BTW, I was trying to
save you the heartache that we went through. If what I tell you now
saves a single kitten, then it is worth the telling.

The best of luck to you too . Please let us know how you get on with
them, if you have the time of course?
thanks in advance,
S;o)

Old May 6th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"q" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Try setting up a baby gate just outside the door. http://tinyurl.com/25wyb9

You can step over it but it will slow down the kittens long enough to close
the door again and keep them confined.

Old May 7th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 6 May, 22:55, "Wendy" wrote:
"q" wrote in message

Wendy wrote:
wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

the door again and keep them confined.- Hide quoted text -

That gate looks Brilliant. In fact I wish we could get hold of some of
the things that I have seen everyone leave links to. It is a shame
because they are super ideas and inventions, but when you try to order
from the UK, 99% of the time, we just get a sorry, we don't ship
there.. I can understand why, so it begs the question, how can I make
them, or who can I convince to take the idea on? I am more than
certain there are Loads of people who would buy one because they look
really handy.

Presently, I have got an old child safety gate up @ the top of my
stair's, covered twice round with chicken coop wire so that they can
hurt themselves on it, or get through it.
thanks for showing us that one

S;o) either.

New Foster Cat Debra Berry Cat anecdotes 20 February 25th 06 07:24 PM
Silly foster kittens KellyH Cat anecdotes 12 August 18th 04 12:18 PM
New Foster Kittens JoJo Cat anecdotes 4 March 27th 04 09:34 AM
My Foster Kittens Karen M. Cat health & behaviour 10 October 9th 03 06:41 PM
New Foster kittens bunny_baby Cat anecdotes 2 August 22nd 03 04:38 PM