Is Halloween dangerous for strays?

Old October 31st 05, 06:26 PM
Ajanta

Default Is Halloween dangerous for strays?

While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?

I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
was desirable.
Old October 31st 05, 06:44 PM

Ajanta wrote:
While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?

I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
was desirable.

IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
be great if you could keep her safe.
Also IMO the greatest risk is not from Satanic cults or occult
followers like we always think about. It's from mean kids/adults who
are just out looking for meanness. It's a bad night to be a cat.

Sherry

Old October 31st 05, 10:01 PM
Ajanta

No More Retail wrote:

: go to www.hsus.org they have information tonight on their
: website

I couldn't find anything. Do you have the exact url of the page?
Old October 31st 05, 10:04 PM
Ajanta

:
: I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
: in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
: could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
: include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
: Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
: was desirable.
:
: IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
: be great if you could keep her safe...It's a bad night to be a cat.

I'll try to keep her indoors as long as possible. Better safe than
sorry.
Old October 31st 05, 10:22 PM
rrb

Ajanta wrote:
No More Retail wrote:

: go to www.hsus.org they have information tonight on their
: website

I couldn't find anything. Do you have the exact url of the page?

I could not find anything at the hsus site either. Nothing is listed on
the main page, and their search engine does not work. At the aspca site
they have this information:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pets_halloween

I would keep the stray cat in until at least tomorrow - longer if possible.

Old October 31st 05, 11:12 PM
5cats

Ajanta wrote:

I'll try to keep her indoors as long as possible. Better safe than
sorry.

Good plan.
Old October 31st 05, 11:43 PM
No More Retail

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_public...llow een.html

on their site up in the left corner in search just type in Halloween
there are several other discussions about it

but the ASPCA one is just as good

Old November 1st 05, 06:00 AM
Ajanta

I wrote:

: I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
: in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
: could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
: include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
: Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
: was desirable.

I am happy to report that it worked out beautifully. She arrived around
5pm. Usually she would have eaten right away, lounged around for 1-2
hours and left. However, I divided her meal into four portions and fed
at 45min-1hr intervals. In between I kept her busy with TV (she likes
watching TV). Around 9:30pm I was running out of tricks and she was
impatient to leave, but weather helped and there was light rain
outside, so she stayed in the porch area and later came back in again.
Finally she left around midnight, after one big snack. I am sure she is
safe, a bit overfed, but sleeping in her usual spot somewhere.
Old November 1st 05, 09:13 AM
Phil P.

"Ajanta" wrote in message
I wrote:

[...]

I hope so. I've been out since dark guarding my colonies- literally.

I dread Halloween every year. I don't place any black cats for almost the
entire month and only place cats with previous adoptives or people I know
very well.

I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid it
might be poisoned- which it very well could be!. Ridiculous holiday with an
even more ridiculous history.