Help! Feral Cat in Attic for 3 Days

Old May 3rd 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Default Help! Feral Cat in Attic for 3 Days

"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
Make sure you put the stinkiest food in the trap. Let us know what
happens. I sure hope you find her soon.

Can you explain to me why you all think a feral cat that has lived in
that house for
four years, will DIE in the WALLS rather than come out if there is an
escape route?
And there is an escape route, the way she got IN there.

Why isn't the answer to leave the attic door open and leave the food
downstairs?

There _can_ be a space that opens at the top and goes straight down
without exit (wet walls/drain pipe chases etc). The best way to get the
cat to fall down one of these spaces would be to drive it completely out
of its mind with terror. To accomplish this one might go up to the attic
with as many strangers as one can involve and tear up all the insulation
and move every box and tear up a few floorboards for good measure.

This could work very well with a cat who is already frightened of even
one person.

Old May 3rd 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Default Feral Cat in Attic - Update

gfc wrote in
:

On May 3, 6:14*am, "blkcatgal" wrote:
Make sure you put the stinkiest food in the trap. *Let us know what
happ

ens.
I sure hope you find her soon.

S.
--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
---"gfc" wrote in message

... Thank you for your words of encouragement. *No, I have not heard
any noises, but, as a friend pointed out, there were no noises coming
from the attic even between Tuesday and Wednesday night and we did
see her on Wednesday night. *So, the fact that there is no noise is
not necessarily an indication that she is not there. *This poor cat
has had a sad life and I feel sorry for her. *During the last four
years she's had food and shelter with me, but emotionally speaking,
her life is hell. *She is terribly frightened of humans and I see the
fear in her eyes every time I walk by. *My house is very quiet and if
she has to live with a human, this is probably the best situation for
her, but I know she is far from happy. *I would hate for her to have
lived a miserable life and end up dying stuck in a wall.
Later, my friend who was here yesterday is coming back and we are
going to look some more, and tonight my girlfriend, her husband, and
a handyman are coming over. *The two guys are used to "construction
situations" and maybe they can spot holes or other hiding places we
missed. *It would be nice if the humane society sent out an officer.
I thought this is what they were for.
I will keep you posted, blkcatgal, and let you know if and when she
comes out.
GFC

On May 2, 10:33 am, "blkcatgal" wrote:

Have you heard any noise at all either in the attic or inside the
walls

(I
hope she didn't fall in there!)?? I wonder if you could get someone
with

one of those cameras to come out to look for her. I hope you find
her soon.

S."gfc" wrote in message- Hide quoted text -

Yesterday my friend removed two more boards and we saw her. She is at
the very end of the attic (it runs the whole length of the house)
between the floor and the "subfloor"( that's what I think that's
called) but she will not come out. I talked to the humane society
again and they told me to set two traps, put food in the traps, water
outside the traps, cover the traps, close the attic door (it was
always closed anyway), turn the lights off and just leave her alone.
The PHS person I talked to said that all that noise we made has
probably scared her even more.

Ya THINK?!

They told me to check the traps once a
day and if she is not in a trap by Sunday night, to call them back on
Monday morning.
Unfortunately, the attic is huge. I have a Cape Cod style house and
the attic runs the whole length of the house. Where the ouside wall
and the roof join, there are a lot of spaces to craw into and hide.
I'll let you know what happens. Thank you for your concern and your
answers.
gfc

Old May 3rd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I'm glad that you at least saw her so you know she's there. Keep us posted
on what happens.

Also, are there any rescue groups in your area that you could contact? They
may also have some ideas on how best to get her out of the attic.

S.
---

---"gfc" wrote in message

[...]

probably scared her even more. They told me to check the traps once a

Old May 3rd 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"outsider" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
[...]

Mmm hmm. Were you thinking about answering my question at some point?

Old May 3rd 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
I'm glad that you at least saw her so you know she's there. Keep us
posted on what happens.

Also, are there any rescue groups in your area that you could contact?
They may also have some ideas on how best to get her out of the attic.

I'll take that as a "no."

Old May 3rd 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"outsider" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
[...]

I thought I did. I would do just what you suggest if it was me but I
would not have added to the cat's terror the way the op did with all that
activity. At this point who knows if the cat will come out even for food
and water. While there are places in an attic where a cat _can_ become
trapped you wont lessen that danger by chasing it further into the dark
corners.

Old May 4th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"outsider" wrote

I thought I did. I would do just what you suggest if it was me but I
would not have added to the cat's terror the way the op did with all that
activity. At this point who knows if the cat will come out even for food
and water. While there are places in an attic where a cat _can_ become
trapped you wont lessen that danger by chasing it further into the dark
corners.

Okay, so you're saying that the assumption is, she will not come out because
she is so frightened.

Maybe I just don't know enough about ferals.

Old May 4th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"outsider" wrote

I thought I did. I would do just what you suggest if it was me but I
would not have added to the cat's terror the way the op did with all
that activity. At this point who knows if the cat will come out even
for food and water. While there are places in an attic where a cat
_can_ become trapped you wont lessen that danger by chasing it
further into the dark corners.

Okay, so you're saying that the assumption is, she will not come out
because she is so frightened.

Maybe I just don't know enough about ferals.

Yes, the phrase "who knows" is certainly equivalent to an assumption.
(??)

_And_ since you seem to have missed the point entirely, this:

"There _can_ be a space that opens at the top and goes straight down
without exit (wet walls/drain pipe chases etc). The best way to get the
cat to fall down one of these spaces would be to drive it completely out
of its mind with terror. To accomplish this one might go up to the attic
with as many strangers as one can involve and tear up all the insulation
and move every box and tear up a few floorboards for good measure.

This could work very well with a cat who is already frightened of even
one person."

Was directed at the OP (it's called sarcasm) so why you feel the need to
argue with me about nothing is escaping me especially since I AGREE with
what you said. You might want to pull your head out of your ass.
Everyone knows _you_ are the highest authority on feral cats; just ask
you.

Old May 4th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"outsider" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in
. com:

"outsider" wrote

[...]

Yes, this certainly follows from my posting history. Good one!

Old May 4th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

cybercat wrote:
"blkcatgal" wrote in message

Make sure you put the stinkiest food in the trap. Let us know what
happens. I sure hope you find her soon.

Can you explain to me why you all think a feral cat that has lived in that
house for
four years, will DIE in the WALLS rather than come out if there is an escape
route?
And there is an escape route, the way she got IN there.

Why isn't the answer to leave the attic door open and leave the food
downstairs?

Well, I'd leave the attic door open and also leave the traps and water
upstairs.

We have a former feral cat (not nearly as feral as this one sounds) who
was so scared by a new arrival that she eventually lost her colon
because she would not come out of hiding. She was dehydrated.

I still blame myself for not realizing she was not coming out at all,
even at night.

Rhonda

OT - The Raccoon in the Attic Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 8 January 1st 07 01:56 AM
Feral Cat Q. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 13 July 31st 05 08:36 PM
Feral Cat Day Ron Herfurth Cat rescue 2 November 10th 04 12:56 PM
Luna in the attic space... again Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 6 August 15th 04 03:18 PM
Attic cat Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 7 February 22nd 04 01:59 AM