[OT] Halloween ettiquette

Old November 1st 04, 12:07 AM
Yowie

Default [OT] Halloween ettiquette

Australia doesn't do Halloween.

Well, didn't.

The local kids have cottoned onto the fact that if they put on stupid
clothes and knock on people's doors, that some suckers will give them candy.
But, by and large, we still don't celebrate Halloween.

Thus we were quite unprepared for the knock on the door with 5 young kids
(all under 10) with no adult supervisor at 8:45pm last night, doing the
"trick or treat" thing. All I could say is "We don't do Halloween, sorry"
and shut the door.

Since there's alot of folk here who *do* celebrate Halloween, and figuring
that its going to become part of the cultural landscape once major retail
outlets figure out its another excuse to make more cash, I'd like some
Halloween Etiquette advice:

If you aren't celebrating Halloween for whatever reason (religious
objection? mourning the death of aloved one? ), how do you let the kids know
*not* to knock on the door, or do you just have to pretend not to be home?

Up to what time can you expect people to knock on your door? Does it go all
night? or is there some sort of accepted time after which you shouldn't be
disturbed?

If you do answer the door and/or don't give them treats, do you really get
tricked? What sort of trick is likely to happen?

Would an apple been a good substitute for candy (we later realised we had a
bag of apples in the fridge)?

What do you do if you've run out of goodies?

And do you reward *effort* in costuming with a decent wad of candy and not
reward stupid costumes (putting a plastic cowboy hat on is *not* good
costuming, IMHO) by reducing hte amount of candy? What is the proper amount
of candy per brat, err, kid anyway?

We didn't know any of the brats, err, kids that knocked on our door. They
weren't the kids from our street. How far do kids travel to get their candy,
how many houses do they visit, and should they be knocking on complete
stranger's doors?

And shouldn't an adult be supervising these kids anyway (at 8:45pm)?

Yowie,
Clueless

Old November 1st 04, 12:30 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Yowie at
wrote on 10/31/04 5:07 PM:

Australia doesn't do Halloween.

Well, didn't.

The local kids have cottoned onto the fact that if they put on stupid
clothes and knock on people's doors, that some suckers will give them candy.
But, by and large, we still don't celebrate Halloween.

Thus we were quite unprepared for the knock on the door with 5 young kids
(all under 10) with no adult supervisor at 8:45pm last night, doing the
"trick or treat" thing. All I could say is "We don't do Halloween, sorry"
and shut the door.

Since there's alot of folk here who *do* celebrate Halloween, and figuring
that its going to become part of the cultural landscape once major retail
outlets figure out its another excuse to make more cash, I'd like some
Halloween Etiquette advice:

Following advice is what I grew up with with modern adjustments:

If you aren't celebrating Halloween for whatever reason (religious
objection? mourning the death of aloved one? ), how do you let the kids know
*not* to knock on the door, or do you just have to pretend not to be home?

Kids generally don't approach the house if a porch light is not on. And
usually there is a lit pumpkin on the premisis as well.

Up to what time can you expect people to knock on your door? Does it go all
night? or is there some sort of accepted time after which you shouldn't be
disturbed?

We just turn the light off and blow out the pumpkin when a) candy runs out
or b) it is after 10.

If you do answer the door and/or don't give them treats, do you really get
tricked? What sort of trick is likely to happen?

Never have had a trick played, but in general it used to be egging the house
or toilet papering the trees. I think mostly the kids today are just set on
candy and wouldn't have a clue what to do if they were rebuffed except move
on to greener pastures.

Would an apple been a good substitute for candy (we later realised we had a
bag of apples in the fridge)?

Used to be a good one, but since a rash of razor blades stuck in apples,
only factory wrapped candy generally makes it past parental supervision.

What do you do if you've run out of goodies?

See the above.

And do you reward *effort* in costuming with a decent wad of candy and not
reward stupid costumes (putting a plastic cowboy hat on is *not* good
costuming, IMHO) by reducing hte amount of candy? What is the proper amount
of candy per brat, err, kid anyway?

We do. Little kids get more candy. Those who are well old enough to be
moving on in the world get the "bad" candy (ie. not as desirable ie. NOT THE
CHOCOLATE). Unfair life may be, but we tend to be more generous to those
little ones that seem super excited and cute as hell about it. If older
brother or sister are doing chaperone duty taking the wee ones around, there
is usally extra booty tossed in for such vigilance and extraction of promise
from little kid to share. General rule of thumb three of something
(depending on on hand supply and number of treaters going around) for the
really derserving.

We didn't know any of the brats, err, kids that knocked on our door. They
weren't the kids from our street. How far do kids travel to get their candy,
how many houses do they visit, and should they be knocking on complete
stranger's doors?

Some people drive their kids around, but that was often because in my neck
of the woods it's often freezing or even snowing. I've never much cared for
Halloween. I still remember being thrilled though one Halloween when I
seemed to be scoring the "good" stuff (ie wrapped mini candy bars) by the
score. It was very snowy out though and in the dark, three houses from home
I tripped and spilled ALL my candy and couldn't find most of it in the snow.
That really was an unfair turn of events if you ask me.

Because of the inherent dangers of modern whackos in this world (news
stories featuring poisoned candy etc.) a lot of people now go to planned
events with people they know and trust or around to relatives and friends
only. Grocery stores seem to do a lot of stuff for Halloween giving people
an option as well. It's not nearly the volume any more of door to door
treating as there used to be because of this. Smaller towns most likely have
more.

And shouldn't an adult be supervising these kids anyway (at 8:45pm)?

There is *usually* one lurking in the background if the kids are under 10.
(see car referenced) or an elder sibbling (see reference above in "amount of
booty). It's pretty foolish if they don't.

Yowie,
Clueless

Old November 1st 04, 03:44 AM
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Australia doesn't do Halloween.

Well, didn't.

The local kids have cottoned onto the fact that if they put on stupid
clothes and knock on people's doors, that some suckers will give them
candy.
But, by and large, we still don't celebrate Halloween.

Thus we were quite unprepared for the knock on the door with 5 young kids
(all under 10) with no adult supervisor at 8:45pm last night, doing the
"trick or treat" thing. All I could say is "We don't do Halloween, sorry"
and shut the door.

That is a bit late in my book. We usually "close up" around eight.

Since there's alot of folk here who *do* celebrate Halloween, and figuring
that its going to become part of the cultural landscape once major retail
outlets figure out its another excuse to make more cash, I'd like some
Halloween Etiquette advice:

If you aren't celebrating Halloween for whatever reason (religious
objection? mourning the death of aloved one? ), how do you let the kids
know
*not* to knock on the door, or do you just have to pretend not to be home?

As a rule if the house doesn't have any outside lights on, you leave it
alone.

Up to what time can you expect people to knock on your door? Does it go
all
night? or is there some sort of accepted time after which you shouldn't be
disturbed?

The little ones are usually around at twilight. Between 5 and 6 pm.
Then the kids get older as it gets later. I don't have much patience for
kids over 12 or later than 8.

If you do answer the door and/or don't give them treats, do you really get
tricked? What sort of trick is likely to happen?

No tricks around here. And most of the tricks (vandalism for the most part)
is unrelated to treats. It kids out to cause trouble. From rubbing soap in
windows to smashing jack o lanterns to tossing toilet paper into trees.

In the "good old days" they might drop cherry bombs down outhouses or light
a paper bag of dog poop on the porch of someone they disliked. Or move the
outhouse onto the front porch.

Would an apple been a good substitute for candy (we later realised we had
bag of apples in the fridge)?

Yes. The kids usually bring home one or two. But if you kids get an apple
you need to take a good look at it to be sure it hasn't been tampered with.

What do you do if you've run out of goodies?

Turn off the outside lights and stop answering the door.

Do you reward *effort* in costuming with a decent wad of candy and not

reward stupid costumes (putting a plastic cowboy hat on is *not* good
costuming, IMHO) by reducing hte amount of candy? What is the proper amount
of candy per brat, err, kid anyway?

Right now I'm passing out foil wrapped chocolate that looks like gold silver
dollars. Cost something like $3 a pound. Each kids gets two or three.

CUte little kids get admired and talked to.

We didn't know any of the brats, err, kids that knocked on our door. They
weren't the kids from our street. How far do kids travel to get their
candy,
how many houses do they visit, and should they be knocking on complete
stranger's doors?

Kids will often go to a neighborhood that they perceve will have a better
class of treats rather than to where they live. Parents will drive them
sometimes. The smaller children usually only do their own neighborhood and
the parents will be with them or wait at the curb.

Old November 1st 04, 04:43 AM
Sherry

Up to what time can you expect people to knock on your door? Does it go all
night? or is there some sort of accepted time after which you shouldn't be
disturbed?

Here, it's about from 6 to 8 p.m. When you're out of candy, you turn the porch
light off. After 8 p.m., when the trick-or-treaters are bigger than you, and
their cigarettes fall out of their pockets when they bend over, it's time to
turn off the porch light.

Sherry