Cat Pan Liners - what's your take?

Old December 30th 04, 12:47 PM
jmcquown

Default Cat Pan Liners - what's your take?

Do you use litter pan liners? I prefer to use them and like the kind that
fit entirely over the pan (like a garbage bag). Those that I can turn
inside out so the litter and 'deposits' fall inside and dump every week
(yes, I scoop and replenish litter daily).

But I know some people who prefer to go lining-less and after regular
scooping just wash the pan out every week. I'm afraid I'm much too lazy a
cleaner to do that.

If you use pan liners, what is your preference? If you don't, why would you
rather not?

I should probably mention I have only a single sink in the kitchen and
Persia's litter pan is bigger than the sink! Even with the liners, in the
summer I take it outside and hose it off. In the winter they block off the
external faucets with some sort of insulated cover. So I find the liners to
be an absolute necessity.

Jill

Old December 30th 04, 02:21 PM
dragon

I use liners, but I don't stick to only one brand. I get whichever
jumbo liners the store I happen to be at happens to have. I have found
that layers of newspaper stuck under the liner helps sop up any leaks
that may occur and makes it much easier to clean the box. I use
regular litter, however, not the clumpable kind. With four cats, the
clumping litter is just way too expensive.

dragon

Old December 30th 04, 02:27 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

I don't use them simply because I find they tear and then aren't any use and
just get in the way. Using the scoop causes the tears as well as kitty
claws (all of my cats are enthusiastic diggers). We can use the hose
outside year-round, so I just take them outside once a week with a scrub
brush and some "Mr. Clean" and give them a good scrubbing using a hose to
wash them off. This is really convenient for me since we keep the litter
boxes in our attached garage, which has a kitty door in the door that leads
to the house. When it's time to clean the boxes I just "lock" the kitty
door to keep the cats in the house, open up the garage door, and clean the
boxes out in the drive.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 30th 04, 02:37 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

You are very fortunate indeed to be able to rinse and wash the tray like
that... even when it snowed? G

The last brand I bought was 'Fresh Kitty' liners and they are thicker than a
heavy duty lawn/leaf bag. 1.8 mil thick. The scoop doesn't tear them;
Persia scratching doesn't tear them. 20 bags cost me about $1.29. I need
to get to PetCo again next week; I only have a few bags left.

Jill

Old December 30th 04, 02:44 PM
Julie Cook

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Jill,

I used to use the large, black garbage bags (I have very large
tupperware storage containers for litterboxes) and they fit over the
boxes just as you described. Unfortunately, Lacey is a digger and she
would tear the bags so they became useless. Now, when I change the
litter (on the weekend) I use one of the disposable Clorox wipes and
wipe out the box and let it dry before adding fresh litter. This has
managed to keep the boxes fresh until I wash them (about once a month,
maybe a little longer).

Julie

Old December 30th 04, 03:06 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yeah, our .0000000001 inches of snow made the going pretty tough for a whole
five minutes or so! ;

The last brand I bought was 'Fresh Kitty' liners and they are thicker than
heavy duty lawn/leaf bag. 1.8 mil thick. The scoop doesn't tear them;
Persia scratching doesn't tear them. 20 bags cost me about $1.29. I need
to get to PetCo again next week; I only have a few bags left.

Jill

Wow, I'm impressed, everything I've ever tried just shredded in the first 24
hours of use, but I haven't tried that brand. Then again, I have faith that
my crew could most likely tear them. I guess if I clipped claws it might be
different, but I have 16 sets of claws in my house that are as sharp as
Samauri swords.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 30th 04, 04:41 PM
Ted Davis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:47:39 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

You don't have a bathtub or shower? It would never occur to me to use
the kitchen sink.

There are adaptors that replace aerators on faucets to allow
connecting a garden hose to the inside faucet.

While I do have a suitable utility sink, I still wash the sieve,
inside of the pan, and kick rings in the pan, then scrub off the
outside with of the pan with the still wet scrub brush.

--
T.E.D. )
Old December 30th 04, 04:42 PM
TBird

"dragon" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use liners, but I don't stick to only one brand. I get whichever
jumbo liners the store I happen to be at happens to have. I have found
that layers of newspaper stuck under the liner helps sop up any leaks
that may occur and makes it much easier to clean the box. I use
regular litter, however, not the clumpable kind. With four cats, the
clumping litter is just way too expensive.

dragon

Newspaper! What a a good idea!

I use liners too. Whatevers cheapest. I hate the clumping litter, it
sticks to the scoop strainer and makes a huge mess. I scoop often and do
acomplete litter change every two weeks. (Trash day.)

That doesn't stop them from letting rip some aromatic symphonies from time
to time. THAT I'll never understand - they eat the same foor every day -
why does it stink so bad only sometimes? Yeesh!

TBird ---- likes the newspaper idea!

Old December 30th 04, 04:50 PM
CK

We use wood pellet litter, which breaks up into wood dust, well, wet
wood dust, when peed on. Earlier we used to use a few layers of
newspaper on the bottom of the litter pan, but now we don't have
anything but the pellets. DH is the "assigned litter pan technician", so
he regularly changes the whole contents of the pan (usually when most of
the pellets have turned into dust and scooping wouldn't leave much to do
doo-doos in anymore) and washes the pan with a detergent containing
chorine under the shower tap - which makes the kitties a bit high - the
chorine, not the shower.

Now with the two kitties, however, we're considering getting a "sifting
litter pan" designed espesially for the wood pellet litter. It sifts
through the wood dust and leaves the intact pellets, making scooping and
cleaning heaps easier. Here's a link to the manufacturer's site:
http://www.peewee.se/ There is an English version of the site too -
click on the English flag - but the "How it works" -page doesn't seem to
work there. In the Swedish version the pic (not animated) is under "SÃ¥
fungerar det" and in the Finnish one under "Näin se toimii", where the
pic is even animated - emptying the litter through the bottom into the
second pan underneath.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old December 30th 04, 04:59 PM
Bill Stock

"CK" wrote in message
[...]

Looks interesting. We use the enclosed litter boxes, with the strainer for
clumping litter.

I was trying to read the Norwegian "How it works". I see an awful lot
about 'kiss'ing the litter tray in there. I don't think so.