Why is Amber doing this?

Old March 31st 05, 02:29 PM
---MIKE---

Default Why is Amber doing this?

During the last week, Amber has started pulling out tufts of hair -
mostly from her belly. Amber is 10 1/2 years old, spayed, a little
pudgey but not fat. She is a typical domestic short hair, orange with
white paws, vest and belly. Nothing has changed except a slight
moderation in the weather. Food is the same (Wellness canned chicken),
there are no fleas (she has never been outside). There have been no new
people or cats. Why is she doing this?

---MIKE---

Old March 31st 05, 05:06 PM
Karen

I was thinking it IS spring. My eyes have been SO goopy lately. I wonder if
it couldn't be that. However, for her age, I think I would want to test her
thyroid, just in case.

Old March 31st 05, 07:01 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
During the last week, Amber has started pulling out tufts of hair -
mostly from her belly. Amber is 10 1/2 years old, spayed, a little
pudgey but not fat. She is a typical domestic short hair, orange with
white paws, vest and belly. Nothing has changed except a slight
moderation in the weather. Food is the same (Wellness canned chicken),
there are no fleas (she has never been outside). There have been no new
people or cats. Why is she doing this?

I think fur pulling might be for different reasons than fur licking--does
she have skin problems? Might she have allergies? The weather factor
is what causes my cat's allergies and asthma to act up. I think it is the
mold that is present and moves around in early spring.

As for the licking that causes baldness, my cat did that when stressed
and when I fixed the situation she stopped completely.