breeding

Old January 25th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
agapecharis

Default breeding

Me again. I have a question that I was wandering if y'all could help me
with. My husband wants to let our youngest, Koda, have kittens since
our oldest, Helen, was already fixed when we adopted her. Since our
girls are inside only cats, how would we go about letting her have a
litter, especially since she is not of any specific breed (that we know
of).

By the way, I never entroduced myself (and the family) to y'all. We
live in Colorado Springs, we're in our mid 20's and our only children
right now are our 2 little girls Helen ( 1.5 years), and our youngest
Koda. We adopted Helen from a shelter up the mountain here, and Koda
was a gift from a lady I worked with after my Ginger Baby (who used to
be our only child) left us. Can't wait to see everyone's thoughts on
this.

Old January 25th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

My "thoughts on this" are, first, there should be absolutely no random
breeding until the day that no more mixed-breed cats are killed simply
for lack of a home. There are too many already. I don't know where you
live, but if it's the U.S., that applies even more so. We kill cats by
the thousands every day. There is no way, no how, you can justify
breeding your cat.
But I'll be the first to admit, kittens are fun. You could offer to
foster a pregnant female for your local shelter, or adopt a kitten
already born. Why not think about that?
Sherry

Old January 26th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On 25 Jan 2007 15:00:47 -0800, "agapecharis"
wrote:

Me again. I have a question that I was wandering if y'all could help me
with. My husband wants to let our youngest, Koda, have kittens since
our oldest, Helen, was already fixed when we adopted her. Since our
girls are inside only cats, how would we go about letting her have a
litter, especially since she is not of any specific breed (that we know
of).

Perhaps something like this would be a better option.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=4381280

I'm with Sherry. Please don't breed her. There are just too many
homeless cats already.

There are many more options here...
http://search.petfinder.com/search/s...8208&preview=1

If that URL breaks, try this one: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ypgb4n

--
L.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain
Old January 26th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:14:44 -0800, Sherry wrote:

[...]

I second the motion! MLB
Old January 26th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:10:28 -0500, mlbriggs wrote:

[...]

For your own sanity, I recommend you check local shelters. I had terrible
experiences with petfinder when I was looking. I applied at about a
half-dozen "rescuers" and (maybe this is just a New York City thing but) I
was subjected to the most stringent and inconvenient requirements even to
visit with a pet.

One person had an 8-page application I needed to fill out that included three
personal references, a landlord reference and a veterinarian reference. All
three of the personal references were called and asked very personal and
embarrassing questions (for the respondent) to answer.

Often the fees are outrageous and the individuals who I met with were,
without exception, overly protective of their pets. It's no wonder there are
so many out there waiting to be adopted. I spent six months trying for a cat.
I finally went to Bide-A-Wee, which, lucky for me, is six blocks from here.
(I don't know why I didn't go there first.) And within 20 minutes I had been
selected by one of the best cats in the world. Within an hour he was home.

Obviously, if you have no other alternative for adoption, use the individuals
on petfinder, but if you have a choice, use the established agencies. At
least, that is my recommendation, based on my experience.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old January 26th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"agapecharis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Me again. I have a question that I was wandering if y'all could help me
with. My husband wants to let our youngest, Koda, have kittens since
our oldest, Helen, was already fixed when we adopted her. Since our
girls are inside only cats, how would we go about letting her have a
litter, especially since she is not of any specific breed (that we know
of).

By the way, I never entroduced myself (and the family) to y'all. We
live in Colorado Springs, we're in our mid 20's and our only children
right now are our 2 little girls Helen ( 1.5 years), and our youngest
Koda. We adopted Helen from a shelter up the mountain here, and Koda
was a gift from a lady I worked with after my Ginger Baby (who used to
be our only child) left us. Can't wait to see everyone's thoughts on
this.

My thoughts, please don't. Yes I know kittens and puppies are as much fun
as you can have without getting arrested, Yes we used to breed poodles for
a while.

However, particularly since Koda isn't a specific breed, there is no way for
you to guarantee that her kittens would always have a good permanent home.

Next argument, I found that breeding changes a pets personality. Not really
sure how to explain it, but I'd say they become more self-involved and less
people oriented.

And there is an alternative. (Pam, where are you?)

There are plenty of pregnant cats in the shelters that could really use
foster homes until they give birth and raise their kittens. All the fun,
less responsibility. It is a very good thing.

My Molly is one of those cats, she was rescued and fostered till her kittens
were old enough for homes. Then she was spayed and placed for adoption.

When we went to look for a cat, I was still grieving my Rosie. My wishes
were a small girl cat with big ears and a long tail. I wanted an adult cat.
The shelter was very surprised when Molly found us within hours of being
declared ready to adopt. Even before her quite adorable kittens.

Jo

Old January 26th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

Absolutely don't breed cats when so many of them are just out there. I can
tell you about Spotty the cat... a homeless one out in the pouring rain who
didn't get rehomed until I snatched her up and took her to The House of Mews
and got her a new home. And Persia, who was running around loose until she
yowled at my back door. Breeding cats, well, have you any plans for them to
have a place to live? Kittens are cute and all that, but have you got plans
for them to live? Or are you planning to provide them food and shelter for
the next 18-20 years?

Jill

Old January 26th 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Sherry wrote:
My "thoughts on this" are, first, there should be absolutely no
random breeding until the day that no more mixed-breed cats are
killed simply for lack of a home. There are too many already. I don't
know where you live, but if it's the U.S., that applies even more so.

The last time I looked Colorado Springs was in the US. I agree
indiscriminate breeding should not happen, if the OP wants to experience the
birth of kittens then I would suggest fostering a pregnent mother from a
shelter.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old January 26th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Unless you're prepared to provide a home for all the kittens for the
rest of their natural lives--and there could be 6, or 8 of them--then
it's not a wise thing to deliberately breed a mixed-breed cat.

I think you would be much better off adopting or fostering a pregnant
female from the shelter--you can enjoy the baby kittens and the shelter
will then help homes be found for them. You're also not adding to the
population problem as the foster cat would not have been deliberately
bred, she would have an unwanted pregnancy.

--Fil

Old January 26th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
agapecharis

Thank you all for your thoughts. My husband has dropped the idea, at
least for now. Just so y'all know if we ever did allow her to have
kittens, we would keep them all. However, no worries, as soon as she
starts to start yelling for a man, she will be fixed.

We did decide to adopt another cat last night. I tell you he is like my
Ginger Baby reincarnated. His personality so far is just like
Ginger's was. His meow even sounds the way she did. There is one
thing he does that she (nor any other cat I have ever had) has ever
done. He gives kisses like a dog. It is so cute.

-Cassandra