Antibiotic woes; appatite stimulant? Advice needed.

Old March 8th 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf

Default Antibiotic woes; appatite stimulant? Advice needed.

Kenzie, my 14 year old Calico cat, has been on Clavomox (ammoxicillin)
since the evening of 3/2/10.

It's for the indolent lesion on her inner lip, discovered when she was
in for a 'routine' dental cleaning.

TED said if Kenzie didn't look better in 5 or 6 days, to get a refill on
the antibiotic; I got a 7 day course of liquid antibiotic. I had
intended to get more, since I can't see any improvement.

The trouble is that when I got home, after being gone all day and
evening, on Saturday, Kenzie had eaten very little. I got her to eat
some treats: some turkey, some sardine, and some potato chips, and I
gave her her antibiotic, and her Tapazole,

This morning, (well, about noon) Sunday, she had eaten nothing over
night. Even the turkey I had left out for her.

So, again, I gave her some treats, so her tummy wouldn't be empty, and
gave her her meds.

In just a few minutes, she threw up the small amount of food I had
gotten her to eat, as well as the antibiotic, and her Tapezole.

I waited all day, and got her to eat a little bit of food.

I decided to give her a half dose of the antibiotics.

She just threw that up, along with her Tapazole, again.

Her tummy has been a bit more delicate since she's been on the Tapezole;
nausea is THE most common side effect of that drug, unfortunately.

When I first started Kenzie on the Tapezole, a year ago, she had a very,
very bad time with it, and I had to take her off of it for a week, and
then and very slowly increase the dose over the course of several
weeks, to get her to her full dose. She's been OK with the Tapezole
since then, but I have noticed that she throws up if she eats too
quickly.

I have taken to giving her half her food, waiting 15 minutes, and giving
her the rest.

I expect the antibiotic is just making her poor tummy all that much
worse.

I was wondering if switching to the tablet form of the antibiotic would
be a little easier on her, since the liquid tastes terrible, I'm sure.

I was also wondering about an appetite stimulant. I remember somebody
mentioning a drug I can't recall the name of; I don't think it was a
steroid, and I think it was in tablet form.

I'm going to call TED in the morning, but I have a meeting all
afternoon, and if I can, I'd like to avoid having to bring Kenzie into
TED's office again.

She just HATES going to the vet; she's been there 3 times in the last
month, and being out of work, I'm trying to avoid the expense for the
vet's office fee.

Just the antibiotic 'refill' is about $25. Any other meds will be
equally expensive, I'm sure. I don't have much money to work with.

I did just force feed Kenzie a little bit of meat based baby food, but
now Kenzie is hiding from me.

This is an old and cluttered house, and there are many places where
Kenzie can hide, where I cannot find her. She has done this before, when
she was so sick from the Tapazole. If she doesn't want me to find her, I
won't find her. So taking her to TED's office tomorrow may be a moot
point, anyway.

Does anyone have any advice for me, please? Oh yes: Kenzie is 14 years
old now

Thank you.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100307-1, 03/07/2010
Tested on: 3/8/2010 1:04:26 AM

Old March 8th 10, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

TV got an apetite stimulant after his heart event, ted said it would work
and it did, but she also warned us it tastes hidious, he fought taking it
but it did work, soft

Old March 8th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

As a short-term effort to get food into her, you might try some meat-
based baby food. Look at the list of ingredients carefully, though, and
make sure it doesn't list onion or garlic. Human baby food isn't very
nutritious for cats, but eating some would still be better for Kenzie
than not eating at all.

Some meds can formulated to be rubbed into the inside of the ear for
transdermal absorption. We haven't gone that route before, but we've
heard from several people who have. You might telephone the vet to ask
whether Kenzie's meds can be formulated that way (some meds just can't be
done that way).

If the meds get prohibitively expensive, please let us know. Some of us
(like my Paw - dan at catfolks dot net) have money set aside just for the
purpose of helping RPCC folks who run short.

Amelia
Old March 9th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_4_]

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 07:04:26 GMT, Gandalf's
nimble, little paws typed:

Does anyone have any advice for me, please? Oh yes: Kenzie is 14 years
old now

Thank you.

I'm sorry to read of this; first as for the meds,
try these two for better prices on the two meds
you use (I've used both):

http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/search/amoxicillin

http://www.1800petmeds.com/search.js...estid=810 920

You might try making her favorite food (is it
turkey???) easier to digest by mincing it in a
blender. I do remember reading of the appetite
enhancer, but I just don't remember who posted it
or when...

In any case, you and Kenzie are in my prayers,
and Anaïs sends her purrs....

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs