wobble belly?

Old April 26th 04, 11:14 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:04:26 -0400, Orchid
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:38:43 GMT, "[ medic ]"
wrote:

I have a 4 year old male cat named Maus. He's a fairly large (in build, not
weight) cat, but he's always had a kind of wobbly pooch on his belly. It's
not a tumor or anything, just lose skin according to the vet. Is there any
way to get rid of it or make it smaller?

On a side note, I used to have a number of other cats and for some reason,
most of them had "wobbles" as well.

*grin* I was going to post, but I see Gee beat me to it.
As an additional note, not all cats have primordial pouches -- many
do, but the gene for it doesn't express in some. My personal guess is
that the closer a cat is to feral ancestry (where the pouch is a very
useful thing to have) the most likely they are to have them. The
exception to that is Bengals and Savannahs, where the infusion of wild
genes is via an ALC or a Serval and where the pouch is a desired trait
(to increase the wild look). Both my Bengal boys have full primordial
pouches with extra skin runnning from under their forelegs back to
their hind. You can see it very clearly when they're stretched out,
but they aren't fat at all.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

My Siamese (RB16 yr) had this when she first adopted me. It
disappeared after a few years . She became indoor-only -- could that
be the reason it disappeared? MLB
Old April 27th 04, 02:33 AM
Orchid

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:14:18 -0600, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

My Siamese (RB16 yr) had this when she first adopted me. It
disappeared after a few years . She became indoor-only -- could that
be the reason it disappeared? MLB

Mmm. I don't think so -- my boys are indoor-only (okay, they
go out on leashes, but I don't think this counts) and they very much
have them. Now, they might go away, but they've had them since they
were tiny kittens so I think that's unlikely.
I've never heard of the PP going away -- do you remember what
was happening around the time she lost it?

Old April 27th 04, 02:54 AM
Kitkat

wobble belly is one of the cutest things about my cat. it makes me laugh when
she runs and her belly sways side to side. ESPECIALLY cuz she is a tiny cat,
weighing in at about 7lbs, but still...the jiggly pouch...hilarity at its
finest!

she knows im typing about her,
pam

"Enjoy every second of your life...it may end at any time and you may come back
as some loser with bad taste." -my friend JoeyJojo

***notice spam blocker***

Old April 27th 04, 03:49 AM
[ medic ]

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciated it. As someone else suggested,
is it more common in cats with ferals in their blood lines? Maus's mom was a
feral when we adopted her (she was pregnant then).

Also, do you have any suggestions as to which canned food to feed? I have
tried different kinds but Maus refuses to eat them. He likes his dry food
and he likes nipping on certain human foods, but he doesn't eat any of the
things people generally think cats would like (tuna, for example, or canned
cat food).

"Gee" wrote in message

"[ medic ]" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a 4 year old male cat named Maus. He's a fairly large (in build,

not
weight) cat, but he's always had a kind of wobbly pooch on his belly.

It's
not a tumor or anything, just lose skin according to the vet. Is there

any
way to get rid of it or make it smaller?

On a side note, I used to have a number of other cats and for some

reason,
most of them had "wobbles" as well.

Orchid has just answered this question in Alt.cats so am copying his/her
reply he

"It's called a primordial pouch, or sometimes, a 'spay sway'.
Primordial pouches exist to give the cats extra protection in
that area (cat fights involve a lot of savage kicking with the hind
legs at about that area) and to allow a longer leg extension when
jumping. A primordial pouch is just a flap of empty extra skin
between the hind leg and the torso.
'Spay sways' come from the weight that altered cats put on
because their metabolisms slow down. Add that slowdown to the
American tendancy to overfeed our pets, and you get a primordial pouch
that is filled with fat that shouldn't be there, aka a 'spay sway'.

Felis lybica (the African Wildcat) is actually quite different
from the big cats, predation-wise. Big cats are desgined to gorge and
fast -- they make one big kill maybe once or twice a week. Little
cats, like F. Lybica, are designed to kill many small things
throughout the day, eating every day at least, more often twice or
three times. This is why domestic cats are susceptible to Hepatidic
Lipidosis when they do not eat for two or more days. Their bodies are
deisgned for several small meals a day, not one huge one once a week.
In zoos, big cats are fasted once a week for health reasons --
small cats *never* are.

I would recommend putting him on canned food for urinary tract health,
but rest assured that, if the skin is emtpy, it's a primordial pouch
and supposed to be there.

Old April 27th 04, 04:20 AM
Leigh Bain

Also, do you have any suggestions as to which canned food to feed? I have
tried different kinds but Maus refuses to eat them. He likes his dry food
and he likes nipping on certain human foods, but he doesn't eat any of the
things people generally think cats would like (tuna, for example, or

canned
cat food).

My husband told me that switching them from dry to canned isn't good for
their digestive system. Once they are on dry food it's best to keep them on
dry food. There are dry foods I think that are out there for Urinary tract
stuff, I would call a vets office for advice though before persuing. Just to
be on the safe side.