OT. New physiotherapy tomorrow

Old May 29th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default OT. New physiotherapy tomorrow

On May 29, 3:57*am, Yowie wrote:
There's even a running total so you can
leave the luxuries till last if you don't want to go over your budget.

What a great idea! Surely I am not the only person here who has found
they don't have enough money on them and it's so embarrasing as you
hold up the queue trying to sort out what you really must have and
what you can leave behind and it annoys the checkout operator who then
has to deduct some items and in many cases has to get a supervisor as
only they have the key to control the refund process, so the queue
behind you gets even longer and starts to cast aspersions on your
parentage

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Fuballs
Old May 29th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Marina wrote:
On 29.5.2011 4:05, MaryL wrote:

It's interesting to read about different methods used in different
areas. All of the grocery stores where I have shopped for a number of
years have the registers mounted at an angle so they can easily be read
by both the employee and the customer.

In most shops here, they are double-sided, so that the cashier sees the
one screen and the other faces the customer.

Ditto here...actually, most have 2 displays, one facing cashier
and one facing customer next to the card swipe machine.

I've never encountered much of a problem with cashiers missing
discounts or coupons. Quite the opposite; since most coupons are
bar-coded and the cashier just swipes it, sometimes the computer
won't allow it and the cashier will (after checking that, yes, I
got the item and the expiry on the coupon hasn't passed) put the
coupon in manually. And if I don't happen to have the coupon
doubler coupon with me, they do that for me as well.

It probably helps that I look moderately pathetic with all the
braces and such, though :-)

Deborah

--

If you ask HP to guide your footsteps, you'd best be prepared to
move your feet. (unattributed)
Old May 30th 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Here we even have a screen just for the customer, where a picture of the
item just scanned in appears. There's even a running total so you can
leave the luxuries till last if you don't want to go over your budget.

Wow - that sounds so sensible. Sounds like it encourages shoppers to
sensible about their purchases.

That would never happen here, where the main goal of a store is to
get people to buy as much as possible, regardless of whether they can
afford it.

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old May 30th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On May 29, 11:26*am, Phoenix
wrote:

I've never encountered much of a problem with cashiers missing
discounts or coupons.

I had grief with a cashier today over coupons- it's the time of year
when last years Co-Op members "divi" gets paid out and I got just over
£60 in 4 £15 vouchers, which makes me happy as that's a week or so's
shopping paid for. So I went to get some items (as I use the Co-Op on
a daily basis I don't usually spend £15 in one go so I am using them
to stock up on bulk supplies like loo paper (they've got a good offer
on one brand) coffee (Had the brand Dave likes on BOGOF today so he'll
still be drinking that in September- he only likes a cup when he wakes
up) etc so I headed for the till, food etc came to £15.17 so I had a
£15 voucher to cover that but I also wanted to pay my water rates and
rent- they have a system called "PayPoint" where you have a card for
whatever you want to pay in and it gets swiped through a machine so
the cashier totals it all up and I hand him the voucher and a wedge of
cash and he says "I can't take the voucher for PayPoint" so I say "I
know that (Paypoint in that place is cash only) but the groceries came
to over £15 so I am using that to pay towards them and giving you cash
for the rest"

"I'll have to ask the manager"

So I wait round for ages while he explained it to the manager who then
turned up being all big and tough and said "I am sorry you can't use
vouchers for the Paypoint"

So I explained (very slowly) "I am not trying to, I have groceries
over the value of the voucher I am using the voucher to pay for the
groceries and paying cash for the Paypoint bills"

"I'm sorry you can't pay for your bills at the Paypoint with a voucher
it has to be cash"

"I'm not trying to I am trying to buy groceries with the voucher and
they come to over £15 so I am using the voucher and will pay the
difference on that and the Paypoint bills with this cash I have in my
hand"

"You can't pay Paypoint bills with vouchers"

After 5 or so minutes of this mantra being repeated at me I said "OKAY-
Cancel the transaction! Ring the groceries up and I'll pay for them
then do the Paypoint as a seperate transaction"

Instantly it wasn't a problem (I know people with a ton of retail
experience who would take a job there and can't get in?)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 31st 11, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On May 29, 11:26 am, Phoenix

[...]

I could see straight away what you wanted to do, the staff in your Co-Op
must be incredibly thick.

--
Adrian
Old June 1st 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
On May 29, 11:26 am, Phoenix

[...]

Not thick, just too bound up in procedures. It could be that the
software on the till won't allow vouchers to be used on any
transaction that includes any element of a PayPoint exchange -
though why the manager couldn't work that out, or the solution,I
don't know.

--
MatSav

Old June 9th 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

On May 28, 3:26 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...

At the supermarkets where I shop, the price of each item is visible as
it is
rung up.

Joy

Oh, honey...don't rattle my cage bars on *that*. The register readout
is *always*
facing the grocery *employee*, NOT the customer. Yeah, it's visible,
but not
to us.

- - - - - - - - - - -

It's interesting to read about different methods used in different areas.
All of the grocery stores where I have shopped for a number of years have
the registers mounted at an angle so they can easily be read by both the
employee and the customer.

MaryL

On ours, I think there is a readout on the register, but there is also a
separate little LED box with the numbers, about an inch high, visible to
the customer.

Same here, and don't I just keep my eye on it at Asda. If you get
overcharged, which is frequent, you can go to customer services desk, get
your money refunded and a 2 pound voucher towards your next shop.
Since my s i l has had to take me shopping (she never checked her bill ever,
before) she's already got 8 quids worth of gift vouchers for being
overcharged.
Plus, I am teaching her to be a more frugal shopper, like buy vegetables and
fruit loose and not already in a plastic bag bag. She should pay me to go
shopping with her ;-)

I'm not making progress with the Basmati rice. Apparently my brother
insists on a particular brand that is "really* expensive. Now Basmati rice
cannot be anything but the same whatever package it is in but I could have
got them three times the amount for the same price. I get the same as my
local Indian & Asian people use for themselves.
Ah well.
He can afford to waste his income, I guess.

Old June 11th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 1:41 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

wrote in message

On May 28, 3:26 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
m...

At the supermarkets where I shop, the price of each item is visible as
it is
rung up.

Joy

I have said nothing about your PT but hope you tough it through. NO
ONE knows how
much use you will regain of left arm. I know it "burns" and hurts but
you beat death and
I know you can beat this for your untimate goal.
-----
I do all these exercises faithfully but there are so many to do, so often it
pretty well takes over my life.
I get up in the morning with not much pain, but once I start to do them, it
hurts like crazy. I have so many exercises to do now.
I have to pick a big stick up and hold it up with both hands.
It's agonising but I think it's doing good. I can raise my arm
now level with my waist. I cannot move it across to be able to put my car
into third gear, so I am still stuck in the house.
Hydrotherapy was fabulous. I wanted to go again next day!

Tweed

Old June 11th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus NFL" wrote in message
On May 23, 4:10 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message

I can understand you not wanting to lose Mr F though (Correct Adrian?)
I am surprised you say there's not a .lot of automatics- here n
London most cars are but if you've never driven an automatic you'll
have loads of problems I suspect and anyway correct me if I am wrong
(and given I don't drive I may be) the gear stick on an automatic is
on the left in the same position as a manual (usually I may not drive
myself but I have seen automatic gear sticks on the right hand side of
the wheel but on a few Mercedes only- my dad had a beautiful Merc
years ago and they are the only cars that interest me) so getting an
automatic wouldn't be much help as you;d still have to reach down with
your left hand to pull the gear stick

___________
Now I know you have never driven ;-)
My difficulty is that I cannot move my arm enough to get third gear. Once
can do this I will be up and running. But I can't atm.
Tweed

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Take heart, you *will*. LOL I thought you had a floor shift. When I
learned to
drive, the gear shift was on left of steering wheel and lyou pulled it
up and down
with clutch (left foot) engaged.
I should have realized USA is the land of the Newest Vehicle and the
kind of car
I now think you have goes for big bucks here now as an antique vintage
version,
widely displayed at auto shows and museums.

What? Mr F? To be sure he is elderly (1996) but he is hardly antique, and
he never fails me. June comes every couple of weeks to drive us around into
the countryside for an hour to keep him going.
We did this on Tuesday.
It's dreadful to see him on my drive and to know I can't drive him.
Tweed

Old June 11th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message

I see very few cars that aren't automatic shift. Where do you live?

In England