Vets and Canadians

Old June 19th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Vets and Canadians

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:31:14 -0700, James
wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:
James wrote:
Do you get a annual checkup for yourself? Health insurance don't
include checkups. If you had to pay $40 for the MD to check an itchy
insect bite, would you still go to the MD?

Do you drag your pet to the vet annually just for a checkup? Just
wondering how different Canadian vs American point of view on vets.

My pussy only gets rabbies shots and no checkup. Except for spay she
hasn't been to the vet.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but here goes. I get an
annual checkup for myself. My health insurance covers checkups to a
certain dollar amount. However, a couple of years, my previous
insurance did not cover checkups, but I paid out of pocket to go
anyway. Checkups are a small price to pay for overall health.

Yes, I "drag" my cats to the vet for annual checkups. One cat does not
get vaccinated, due to having severe allergic reactions to the
vaccines, but he still gets bloodwork and an exam. The other cat gets
vaccinated, but not as often due to recent studies (another topic).
Both are brought in if a medical problem comes up. I pay for this
myself, and do not hesitate to do so. I made a commitment to these
animals when I adopted them.

Where I was going is trying to get a feel of how many people like
cindys for example would bring their pets to vet more often that their
own visits to the MD.

Also a bit OT is if people go to MD's needlessly. I already know that
people demand antibiotics needlessly resulting in superbugs.

Cats age quicker than humans so it stands to reason that they need
more checkups in a similar time frame. Mine are young so I do only
bring them once a year but that will increase as they get into senior
years.

What kind of health insurance doesn't cover routine physical exams?
Doesn't the Canadian system cover them?
Old June 19th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, bobblespin wrote:

I (Canadian) used to get annual checkups (yes they are paid by our
health insurance) which proved important because they detected early
breast cancer 5 years ago, and lately abnormal cells in my cervix.
However, our doctor left town 4 months ago and we no longer have a
doctor (along with thousands of other Canadians). Therefore, annual
checkups, Pap and blood tests, etc. are not possible until I can find a
doctor who is taking on new patients. I would gladly pay $40 to get a
Pap test in view of my high risk, but I can't even do that.

Lately, my cat is getting better medical care than I am :-(

Bobble

Can you go to a walk-in clinic somewhere to get a check up?

Old June 19th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 19 Jun, 15:52, James wrote:
On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, bobblespin wrote:

I (Canadian) used to get annual checkups (yes they are paid by our
health insurance) which proved important because they detected early
breast cancer 5 years ago, and lately abnormal cells in my cervix.
However, our doctor left town 4 months ago and we no longer have a
doctor (along with thousands of other Canadians). Therefore, annual
checkups, Pap and blood tests, etc. are not possible until I can find a
doctor who is taking on new patients. I would gladly pay $40 to get a
Pap test in view of my high risk, but I can't even do that.

Lately, my cat is getting better medical care than I am :-(

Bobble

Can you go to a walk-in clinic somewhere to get a check up?

Even more slightly OT, but it might interest you to know that in the
UK, if you "don't" visit your dentist @ least every 6 months, then you
find yourself without a dentist. They strike you off the list & allow
another patient to enrol @ the practise in your place- Unless you can
show good reason as to why you didn't turn up for your appointment .
( ie: in hospital ect)
The only other way to get a dentist is to pay to see one privately on
medical insurance. Our local hospital has only just got a dental
department after 25 years!!

Our national health care system is slowly going towards the way you
all have it in the USA, & Canada too. If you pay, then you get what
you need doing, when you want it, in a National Health Care Hospital,
but in a nicer ward or a side room, with a menu to choose from. This
of course means that there are less beds available for anyone who
relies on the NHS for their medical care.

If you rely on the NHS system, then you can wait for up to 2 years
for a non medical emergency procedure. (ie: in growing toe nail
removal or something along those lines)....
As for our Pets, Yes, I DO drag them to the vet @ least once a year.
No Pet insurance policies that I have found offer to pay for the
privilege of taking them either. Most of them all have an excess
clause written into them, stating that the cost of booster
inoculations, the cost of the consultation & a few other things are
not covered either...& the excess fee for anything else is around £50
($100!!). this means that whatever treatment your pet might need, is
covered, but you have to pay the first £50, & they will meet the rest
of your costs as long as the small print doesn't exclude them. The
moral of this story is, read the small print 1st, & choose wisely.
S;o)

Old June 19th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Jun 19, 12:13 pm, sheelagh wrote:

Our national health care system is slowly going towards the way you
all have it in the USA, & Canada too. If you pay, then you get what
you need doing, when you want it, in a National Health Care Hospital,
but in a nicer ward or a side room, with a menu to choose from. This
of course means that there are less beds available for anyone who
relies on the NHS for their medical care.

If you rely on the NHS system, then you can wait for up to 2 years
for a non medical emergency procedure. (ie: in growing toe nail
removal or something along those lines)....

I have no problem with that philosphy. People who can afford to pay
should pay. The extra money probably help keep the system going.

People are willing to spend big bucks for monster SUV's and their kids
education. There's no reason they shouldn't pay for extra pampering
in medical care as long as it doesn't lower the quality of care to the
poor.

Poor or cheap Americans cheat the Canadian system by posing as
Canadians. Well off Canadians willing to pay, hop across the border
to get instant medical care from the US. Many westerners go to India
and other Asian nations for cheap medical care. NHS would probably
work better if everyone has to pay something. Maybe 4 hours wages for
an office visit, up to a month's wages limit for something serious.
People making 10X more than me certainly can afford to pay $1000 a day
out of pocket.

Old June 19th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

James wrote in news:1182264727.116570.43520
@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, bobblespin wrote:

I (Canadian) used to get annual checkups (yes they are paid by our
health insurance) which proved important because they detected early
breast cancer 5 years ago, and lately abnormal cells in my cervix.
However, our doctor left town 4 months ago and we no longer have a
doctor (along with thousands of other Canadians). Therefore, annual
checkups, Pap and blood tests, etc. are not possible until I can find

doctor who is taking on new patients. I would gladly pay $40 to get

Pap test in view of my high risk, but I can't even do that.

Lately, my cat is getting better medical care than I am :-(

Bobble

Can you go to a walk-in clinic somewhere to get a check up?

No, doctors won't do check-ups on a walk-in visit, but we can go there
and see a doctor for small problems which pop up, i.e. infections, etc.

Bobble

Old June 19th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

dgk wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

yes annual exams are covered - only 1 per year. The original poster was
misinformed.

Bobble

Old June 19th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:23:27 GMT, bobblespin wrote:

The original poster was
misinformed.

apparently on several levels...

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 19 Jun, 18:01, James wrote:
On Jun 19, 12:13 pm, sheelagh wrote:

Our national health care system is slowly going towards the way you
all have it in the USA, & Canada too. If you pay, then you get what
you need doing, when you want it, in a National Health Care Hospital,
but in a nicer ward or a side room, with a menu to choose from. This
of course means that there are less beds available for anyone who
relies on the NHS for their medical care.

If you rely on the NHS system, then you can wait for up to 2 years
for a non medical emergency procedure. (ie: in growing toe nail
removal or something along those lines)....

I have no problem with that philosophy. People who can afford to pay
[...]

Nor would I "If" it wasn't @ the expense of the quality of the care of
the poor either. The problem is that it is exactly those people who do
have to pay in the long run. When the richer can afford to "schedule"
their procedures, it means that they get the beds in the very same
hospitals as the rest of the local populous, thus leaving no bed
available for others waiting for those beds & slots in theater. In
fact there has been a lot of controversy about this problem
recently....

We have the elderly being informed on the day of their procedure, that
there is no bed available for them, & they are simply put back on the
list to be recalled @ a later date for their turn. This is really
unacceptable. When I said surrounded by controversy, I meant it....
(hip replacements, intensive care after theater ect)

How would you feel if your uncle, grandmother, or parents got as far
as the hospital, & even on the ward..
Had your pre op done, only to be told that there has been an
unforeseen problem, so you can get dressed again, & we will contact
you when we have the room & the staff to look after you? Because this
is what is happening over here, increasingly so too...

Now if the people who can afford to pay towards the expense of their
health care, I have no problem with this idea either.. as long as it
is in a Private hospital, because there are plenty of them, so why
take away the overstretched beds from those who can least afford it?

My philosophy FWIW, is that generally the people who are made to wait
the longest, are the very people who paid national insurance
contributions all of their working lives, to ensure that when they got
into their old age, they knew that they had this system to support
them in their time of need

People are willing to spend big bucks for monster SUV's and their kids
education. There's no reason they shouldn't pay for extra pampering
in medical care as long as it doesn't lower the quality of care to the
poor

Again,. I couldn't agree more with you if I tried to....But the
problem is that it is /@ the expense & quality of care for the poor...

It all goes back to the problem of NHS hospitals seeing the extra wad
of cash & the administrators thinking, "nice one, we could do with the
cash injection". It makes the staff feel uncomfortable. They are also
on the front line & have to cope with the people who have been kicked
out of their hospital beds, to make room for the private paying
clients on the administrations say so!!

If these people can afford to pay for their health care, that is all
well and good, but the people who paid for those hospitals to be
built, are the very ones who are not receiving the treatment that
should be theirs by right. It should most definately not be @ their
expense...

If I had the money to pay for private health care, I would, but I
would also ensure that the hospital I used was a private one so that I
wasn't holding someone else up that probably needs the treatment far
more than I do.....

Just my 2pence worth
S;o)

Old June 20th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Bobble- Hide quoted text -

Is it covered in BC? BTW BC still charge for health insurance and I
think AB also.

Old June 20th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

think AB also.- Hide quoted text -

Canadian health plans are on the provincial level, not national.

I checked.@ http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/.../benefits.html

MSP does not provide coverage for the following:

preventive services and screening tests not supported by evidence of
medical effectiveness (for example, routine annual "complete" physical
examinations, whole body CT scans, prostate specific antigen (PSA)
tests