Vets and Canadians

Old June 20th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Vets and Canadians

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you get a annual checkup for yourself? Health insurance don't
include checkups. If you had to pay $40 for the MD to check an itchy
insect bite, would you still go to the MD?

Do you drag your pet to the vet annually just for a checkup? Just
wondering how different Canadian vs American point of view on vets.

My pussy only gets rabbies shots and no checkup. Except for spay she
hasn't been to the vet.

I live in the U.S. Yes, my cats have an annual exam. And, yes, I also have
an annual exam. Concerning one of your comments in a later message: I do
not demand antibiotics. I do go the the doctor if I am sick, and he decides
what I need (but he is not one to "overprescribe").

MaryL

Old June 20th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 9:31 am, James wrote:
On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:

James wrote:
Do you get a annual checkup for yourself? Health insurance don't
include checkups. If you had to pay $40 for the MD to check an itchy
insect bite, would you still go to the MD?

Do you drag your pet to the vet annually just for a checkup? Just
wondering how different Canadian vs American point of view on vets.

My pussy only gets rabbies shots and no checkup. Except for spay she
hasn't been to the vet.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but here goes. I get an
annual checkup for myself. My health insurance covers checkups to a
certain dollar amount. However, a couple of years, my previous
insurance did not cover checkups, but I paid out of pocket to go
anyway. Checkups are a small price to pay for overall health.

Yes, I "drag" my cats to the vet for annual checkups. One cat does not
get vaccinated, due to having severe allergic reactions to the
vaccines, but he still gets bloodwork and an exam. The other cat gets
vaccinated, but not as often due to recent studies (another topic).
Both are brought in if a medical problem comes up. I pay for this
myself, and do not hesitate to do so. I made a commitment to these
animals when I adopted them.

Where I was going is trying to get a feel of how many people like
cindys for example would bring their pets to vet more often that their
own visits to the MD.

Also a bit OT is if people go to MD's needlessly. I already know that
people demand antibiotics needlessly resulting in superbugs.

I do now get anual checkups, but mostly because my doctor won't renew
my asthma inhaler if I don't. I know I should. I just try to avoid it,
so she knows she needs to push me.

The cats get their anual checkups regardless. I don't mind paying, and
they aren't sticking ME with the needle. My dog Jenny is older, so
goes twice a year now for senior checkup.

As for medications, I have trouble taking medications. I tend to choke
on most pills. They can go partway down and then I choke and cough
them back up. So, I try to avoid medications unless I am desparate.

I did get a mild muscle relaxer when I hurt my back a couple years
ago. And the last time I got sick enough to go to the doctor, I was
concerned that I might be geting bronchitis (which I had before). My
doctor checked me and said my cold was just about over, but was
concerned about my untreated asthma (I had been doctorless for about 8
years before that appointment. She put me on a daily inhaler for 6
months, and then back to just a rescue inhaler for times when it
flares up. I can usually avoid asthma attacks by avoiding my known
triggers.

It has probably been about 15 years since I had antibitiotics. And
that was when I had the bronchitis. I think it was 1995.

Old June 20th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:31:27 -0700, "
wrote:

As for medications, I have trouble taking medications. I tend to choke
on most pills. They can go partway down and then I choke and cough
them back up. So, I try to avoid medications unless I am desparate.

I guess that's one of the advantages to growing up in the 60's. I have
no trouble taking any kind of pill, even quite a few at once.

It's all mental you know. You swallow much bigger things when you eat
with no thought at all.
Old June 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

" wrote in
ps.com:

On Jun 18, 9:31 am, James wrote:
On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:

snip

As for medications, I have trouble taking medications. I tend to choke
on most pills. They can go partway down and then I choke and cough
them back up.

I used to as well, but I learned a trick to swallowing pills: put a bit of
water in your mouth first, squeeze the pill in, tilt head forward a bit,
now normal swallow. It makes a little puddle for the pill in your mouth
and down she goes. Works much better than pill in, water in, head thrown
back.

Bobble
Old June 21st 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote:
As for medications, I have trouble taking medications. I tend to choke
on most pills. They can go partway down and then I choke and cough
them back up. So, I try to avoid medications unless I am desparate.

I guess that's one of the advantages to growing up in the 60's. I have
no trouble taking any kind of pill, even quite a few at once.

It's all mental you know. You swallow much bigger things when you eat
with no thought at all.

I wish it were that simple. M y throat is smaller than normal
(approximately 30% smaller). It is the main cause for my asthma.

I also have choking spams that can come on for no obvious reason. It
is more frequently when I am asleep. I will wake up coughing
repetedly, often inhaling saliva or even choking up acid reflux, which
I then inhale as I am gasping for air. Sometimes, the choking spasms
continue for 20-30 minutes. By then, I am likely to vomit too.
Sometimes, I inhale enough that I am gargling as I breath. It takes a
good hour for that to stop. And once I have an episode, I am more
likely to have an asthma attack. I actually spent a night in the
emergency room the first time this happened.

With the pills, they will usually go down, but sometimes I will start
choking when it is partway down. Sometimes, it will go up and down a
few times before going all the way down or coming back up. I have
actually lost my lunch a few times when taking a pill that normally
goes down. Because my throat is smaller, it is easier for a pill to
hit the gag reflex (which is really strong in my case) and it can also
get stuck. I can feel it burning my throat, and I can eat and drink,
but it stays stuck to the inside of my throat.

I have also had the choking spasms during the day while I am awake and
standing up. Sometimes brought on by a sudden smell. Sometimes i have
no idea what brought it on.

Anyway, I know how to get the pill started down. I just can't
guarantee what it will do on the way down.

Old June 21st 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:
[...]

Oh, that's different then. Never mind.
Old June 22nd 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyway, I know how to get the pill started down. I just can't
guarantee what it will do on the way down.

----------
I also have trouble swallowing pills. Here are some things that have helped
me:

1. One thing you can try is buying empty capsules, which are slippery and
go down more easily. Chop up your pill a little bit and put it into the
empty capsule before swallowing. It may not be a magic solution, but it may
help.

2. If you have a large pill, cut it in a half and swallow it as two separate
parts instead of one. Just the fact that it is smaller makes it easier to
swallow.

3. Another possibility is to ask the pharmacist if the pill can be
dissolved into a liquid without impacting its efficacy. Sometimes a
pharmacist can make up a liquid solution for you of your medication (but you
have to ask - it's not something they offer unless someone specifically asks
them and it can also get costly sometimes, but it doesn't cost anything to
ask).
Good luck.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.