Cat tuned mean...what do I do

Old June 6th 05, 09:52 PM
grasshopper grasshopper is offline
Junior Member

Default Cat tuned mean...what do I do

I have two cats and one has gone completely insane. She hisses at everything and growls at everyone. She also will bite if you stop her from going outside or anything that she wants to do. When she bites it's not a love bite she's going for blood and will go after the face. I have no idea how this came about but I'm at my wits end. I'm ready to have her put down, because I can't have her hurt someone who doesn't know better. Our other cat is now having nevous problems becsaue of this and licks herself raw. Our vet stated she is high strung..and stated she need anti depressants and valium but come on..this is getting ridiculous...Does anyone know of what to do?

Dave
Old June 7th 05, 01:29 AM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:52:48 +0000, grasshopper wrote:

I have two cats and one has gone completely insane. She hisses at
everything and growls at everyone. She also will bite if you stop her
from going outside or anything that she wants to do. When she bites
it's not a love bite she's going for blood and will go after the face.
I have no idea how this came about but I'm at my wits end. I'm ready to
have her put down, because I can't have her hurt someone who doesn't
know better. Our other cat is now having nevous problems becsaue of
this and licks herself raw. Our vet stated she is high strung..and
stated she need anti depressants and valium but come on..this is
getting ridiculous...Does anyone know of what to do?

Dave

I guess a car can become crazy just like people do. Is there rabies in
your area? Put her in a cage to see if she quiets down then take her to
the Vet.
Old June 7th 05, 01:29 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-06, grasshopper penned:

Our vet stated she is high strung..and stated she need anti
depressants and valium but come on..this is getting ridiculous...Does
anyone know of what to do?

Dave

You'd rather put her to sleep than try medication that your vet
suggests?

This I do not understand.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 7th 05, 01:38 AM
Innovo

***Need more info, Dave. Like.. how old is she? How long has this
aggressive behavior been going on? Is she outdoors only, indoor/ outdoor, or
what? Has she been eating the same? Have you had any recent changes in your
household? Is she vaccinated for Rabies? Have you had her examined by a vet
since this behavior change?

There are just too many unanswered questions. But I would absolutely Not
'put her down'. Something is* definitely wrong with her. She might have a
brain tumor hence her drastic behavior change and aggression, or maybe she's
had a stroke? Please do give us more info about her, so we can offer better
suggestions and solutions to help her and you.

ML

Old June 7th 05, 01:40 AM
mlbriggs

On 2005-06-06, grasshopper penned:

Our vet stated she is high strung..and stated she need anti
depressants and valium but come on..this is getting ridiculous...Does
anyone know of what to do?

Dave

You'd rather put her to sleep than try medication that your vet
suggests?

This I do not understand.

From the description of her actions, this is beyond naughty cat behavior.
He could get sued and lose everything if the cat were to attack someone
else. He could also get injured trying to medicate the cat.

A couple of years ago my cat fell off my lap. She is a loving girl and it
was an accident. But that incident cost me hundreds of dollars and took a
year and a half to heal.

Old June 7th 05, 01:46 AM

Our vet stated she is high strung..and
stated she need anti depressants and
valium but come on..this is getting
ridiculous...Does anyone know of what to
do?

Follow your vet's advice. Just like people, animals can suffer from
anxiety, OCD and other mental issues and in many cases medicating the
animal is doing them a favor and brings them to a "normal" state. I find
it sad that you talk about killing your cat as an option, but have a
problem with medicating her.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 7th 05, 02:07 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 04:52:48p, grasshopper wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I have two cats and one has gone completely insane. She hisses
at everything and growls at everyone. She also will bite if you
stop her from going outside or anything that she wants to do.
When she bites it's not a love bite she's going for blood and
will go after the face. I have no idea how this came about but
I'm at my wits end. I'm ready to have her put down, because I
can't have her hurt someone who doesn't know better. Our other
cat is now having nevous problems becsaue of this and licks
herself raw. Our vet stated she is high strung..and stated she
need anti depressants and valium but come on..this is getting
ridiculous...Does anyone know of what to do?

Dave

Dave, medicating the cat for what could be only temporary is a good
idea. I'm medicating one with Clomicalm (clomipramine) which is
normally only used for dogs with separation anxiety or similar. I
asked the vet for it after doing some reading because I have a cat
who is very aggressive also. He attacked me, the other cats, and
was freaked out by certain sounds. The clomicalm is working
wonders. The vet hadn't used it for cats before, so this is a
learning experience for her, too. Give it a try, or at least ask!
My cat gets .7 cc daily; the dose had to be tweaked to work for him
without making him sleep all the time.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 7th 05, 02:58 AM
Philip

Prioritize. Who is most important? The attack cat or your family? If you
have to think about this for more than 2 seconds, the first problem is ...
YOU.

Old June 7th 05, 02:58 AM
Philip

On 2005-06-06, grasshopper penned:

Our vet stated she is high strung..and stated she need anti
depressants and valium but come on..this is getting ridiculous...Does
anyone know of what to do?

Dave

You'd rather put her to sleep than try medication that your vet
suggests?

This I do not understand.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Let us drop a wild behaving animal who is attacking FACES and limbs in your
house. Let's see how long your compassion lasts before you say ... enough.
When such a deranged cat takes out your child's eye or scratches his/her
face ... would you then open the front door and say to the cat "Have it your
way ... good riddance!"