Cat Show - judging

Old September 19th 03, 02:43 AM
Lois Reay

Default Cat Show - judging

Several weeks ago I was asked to be a stand-by judge for the domestic
section at a show held in the next town to me - I thought why not the
chances of the visiting Australian judge not doing it was very remote -
wrong.

The Club decided that the Australian judge should stick to pedigree's and
that I would do the Domestic's - now there is a standard that the pedigree
cats must conform to but with the domestic's it really is a matter of
personal choice - so long as the cat is well groomed, good temperament,
looks loved and carries no live stock you are free to make your choice.

The show is this Sunday - Purrs that I don't upset anyone!!

Lois

Old September 19th 03, 03:32 AM
Lois Reay

"Bev" wrote in message

Good luck Lois, but not upset anyone!!!! Ho ho, unfortunately knowing
cat lovers as I do I suspect you will upset everyone but the winner -
they all want their darlings to win. I can remember cat shows I went
to years ago when the judge was judged instead of the cat ::))

OMG just what have I let myself in for!!

Lois

Old September 19th 03, 03:33 AM
Bev

--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough draft
before the masterpiece.
Old September 19th 03, 03:35 AM
Junebug

"Lois Reay" wrote in message

"Bev" wrote in message

Good luck Lois, but not upset anyone!!!! Ho ho, unfortunately knowing
cat lovers as I do I suspect you will upset everyone but the winner -
they all want their darlings to win. I can remember cat shows I went
to years ago when the judge was judged instead of the cat ::))

OMG just what have I let myself in for!!

Lois

Probably a lot of fun! Have a great time but most important--keep that
sense of humor. That is most important.
(I raised animals before and entered a LOT of shows all up and down the West
Coast of the US, and I found that a judge with a sense of humor was enjoyed
by everyone--winners and losers.) Enjoy!!

Junebug

Old September 19th 03, 09:22 AM
Jeanette

Lois Reay wrote in message
Thanks all for the encouragement - will let you know how it goes.
Sense of humour, yes well I had one of those somewhere better drag it

out!!

Lois

I help with the organisation of a charity household pets cat show every
year, and we usually have between six and ten judges. One of our regular
judges is a local vet, and he comes equipped with a list of adjectives for
the 'comments' section of the judging slip, so that he doesn't end up saying
the same thing about each cat.

I never allow him to forget his clanger whilst judging my friend's rescue
cat, Pringle, about six years ago. Pringle is a beautiful semi longhaired
tuxedo cat who had had a very hard time in life before being rescued by our
branch of Cats Protection and adopted by his fosterer. He was in the show,
and entered in the 'best cat with a bit missing' category. The vet had
lifted him up and was cuddling him, as a vital part of the judging
procedure, I watched him as he checked for bits missing from ears, front
paws, and tail, then he turned to his steward to ask 'So, what has this
beautiful boy got missing then?' His face was a picture when his steward
said 'A hind leg.' To be fair to the vet, Pringle does have VERY long and
thick fur.

Pringle did very well in that show. In fact, he was awarded Best in Show

Old September 19th 03, 10:30 AM
catsruleok

"Lois Reay" wrote in message ...

"Bev" wrote in message

Good luck Lois, but not upset anyone!!!! Ho ho, unfortunately knowing
cat lovers as I do I suspect you will upset everyone but the winner -
they all want their darlings to win. I can remember cat shows I went
to years ago when the judge was judged instead of the cat ::))

OMG just what have I let myself in for!!

Lois

Hi Lois,

You'll be OK if you say really nice things about every cat and apologise for not being able to make
everyone a winner :^))

Have a great day.

Sheenah

Old September 19th 03, 02:33 PM
Marina

"Jeanette" wrote
'So, what has this
beautiful boy got missing then?' His face was a picture when his steward
said 'A hind leg.'

ROFL! Lois, you'd better keep your eyes peeled!

--
Marina
Old September 20th 03, 04:22 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:22:46 +0100, "Jeanette"
wrote:

Lois Reay wrote in message
.. .
[...]

oops

Always cheers me up to hear a success story like Pringle's