Gaubster's Outlandish Claims (was: "Science Diet" Hairball Control Sensitivity )

Old October 27th 03, 05:20 PM
Jennifer Thompson

Liz wrote:

(I told you it was projectile!), puddles of it on the carpet, and sometimes a stream of
it from one room to another, usually in the direction of the litter box.
Jennifer

This looks like a lack of one or more digestive enzymes. If that food
ever stops working (let´s hope it never does), try adding some
digestive enzymes to his food. It might work a miracle.

I actually did try enyzmes for a while. They were called "Petzyme" or something like that.
My vet had me try it for several months. It's been a long time, so I could have the name
wrong. Anyway, it didn't help.

I honestly don't know what I'll do if this food stops working. Sylvester is 15, and in
addition to IBD, he has heart disease and was just diagnosed with diabetes. Despite all
this, he's a pretty active and healthy-looking kitty. But at his age, I have to wonder how
long he can keep going with all of his ailments.

Well, for now he's happy. We'll just take one day at a time.

Jennifer

Old October 27th 03, 11:18 PM
Liz

I actually did try enyzmes for a while. They were called "Petzyme" or
something like that. My vet had me try it for several months. It's been
a long time, so I could have the name wrong. Anyway, it didn't help.
Jennifer

I did a search on Petzyme to see what enzymes it contained but it´s
not a supplement, it´s a product to remove urine odor, so I guess you
mixed up the names. I´ve seen many enzyme supplements on the market,
and they all vary in content. Some have many enzymes, others have just
a few. You can always try another supplement, preferably with as many
enzymes as possible, if the kitty has problems again. I really hope he
doesn´t. I hate to see these furry balls suffering.

Old October 27th 03, 11:48 PM
Jennifer Thompson

Liz wrote:

I actually did try enyzmes for a while. They were called "Petzyme" or
something like that. My vet had me try it for several months. It's been
a long time, so I could have the name wrong. Anyway, it didn't help.
Jennifer

I did a search on Petzyme to see what enzymes it contained but it´s
not a supplement, it´s a product to remove urine odor, so I guess you
mixed up the names.

Yep, I did. I have since remembered that it was called "ProZyme".

Is that a good one? This was probably 12-13 years ago that I tried it, so the
product might have improved by then.

Jennifer

Old October 28th 03, 02:08 AM
Steve Crane

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
(Steve Crane)

A terrific example is taurine deficiency just
reported in the October 15th issue of JAVMA. Dogs which had eaten
either 3 Nutro products, 1 Sensible Choice or 1 Nature's Recipe
product (all lamb & rice products) were found with dilated
cardiomyopathy. Typically the diagnosis of DCM means the dog has abut
60 days to live.

I read the abstract of this study and from what I could tell, it didn't say how
long the dogs ate the food. It also said it was lamb and rice but did not say
what brand was fed. All it said was they were fed a "complete and balanced"
diet.

That's what you get for reading only the abstract. The full published
article contains the names of the foods fed. In all cases the foods
were fed long enough to cause a problem.

Anyway, my question to you is how long is a feeding trial? Would a food
deficient in taurine cause cardiomyopathy in that amount of time?

Nope a food would probably pass a feeding trial just fine with a
taurine deficiency. Obviously the three Nutro products, the Del Monte
Nature's Recipe and the Sensible Choice products all passed feeding
trials. Four years ago the "formulated" processs was not available.
The point is that developing a food to meet *marketing* needs instead
of *nutrition* needs can get you into trouble. The issue of taurine
deficiency in lamb based diets has been known, or at least suspected
since 1997. I think the recent issue with Go!Natural is another
example of what happens when the manufacturer is more intent upon
meeting *marketing* based demands instead of scientifically backed
nutrition needs.

Old October 28th 03, 02:10 AM
Steve Crane

"Karen M." wrote in message ...

Steve,
This is not only ridiculous, but dangerous. Just like you post you do
not represent Hill's to cover you ass, -L is certainly not going to
expose her own by posting previous employment. Phil has refused to state
which vets he consults with, most on here don't even post where they
volunteer! You should really be ashamed of yourself. Anyone who asked
this kind of crap should be.

Perhaps, but it certainly would have been interesting (at least to me)
to take a look at the clinics sales over the past couple years and see
how much of what we have been told is true. On the other hand I agree
it is asking too much.