Cat women turn me off

Old January 19th 05, 12:57 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary wrote:
(....)

Why would anyone post through Google?

- It works.

Don't you find that you cannot read posts until a day or more
after they are posted?

- Don't need to bugger about with a newsreader, or find a news service
that includes the groups you read.

- No chance of viruses etc.

- Can see who's x-no-archiving.

What does it matter who is x-no-archiving?

Old January 19th 05, 01:24 AM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
(...)

Don't you find that you cannot read posts until a day or more
after they are posted?

Look how quickly I replied!!

(Ans: no, it's almost instant these days).

(...)

- Can see who's x-no-archiving.

What does it matter who is x-no-archiving?

I generally prefer to not reply to x-no-archivers.

S.

Old January 19th 05, 01:25 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:

- Can see who's x-no-archiving.

What does it matter who is x-no-archiving?

I generally prefer to not reply to x-no-archivers.

How come? I know that *some* of them want to hide posts for future
reference - for nefarious reasons, but others simply don't want their public
ramblings to be archived - with no ulterior motives attached. After a
while - often a short while, you get to know which side of the fence they're
on.

Cathy

Old January 19th 05, 01:26 AM
Steve G

Kreisleriana wrote:
(...)

Mary wrote:
(....)

Why would anyone post through Google?

(...)

Much easier to conceal your identity. :P

Only very superficially - but I guess that does count for something...
S.

Old January 19th 05, 01:42 AM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
(...)

Don't you find that you cannot read posts until a day or more
after they are posted?

Look how quickly I replied!!

Excellent point.

What does it matter who is x-no-archiving?

I generally prefer to not reply to x-no-archivers.

So that their posts will not be archived? Or why?
(Just curious ...)

Old January 20th 05, 04:03 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

catlvr wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this site a "google" news group, so
doesn't it stand to reason that google would be the logical choice for
posting?

No, it's a Usenet newsgroup. Some people access it through
Google, but you can get it directly through your ISP's
news-server, or you can subscribe to another one (some are
free).

I don't know of any other way - but if there is a better way I'd like
to know. I do find the sequencing of messages a bit confusing.

I've never tried posting through Google, but it doesn't seem
to prevent others who do from quoting the messages to which
they're replying. I think the problem is with your browser
settings, not how you access the group - if you go to
"preferences" on your browser, you can tell it to quote the
original message - yours apparently doesn't have the box
checked that will automatically do so.

And how did we get from "cat women turn me off" to this subject?

Obviously you have had very little experience with
newsgroups! Threads are more likely than not to go
"off-topic" anyway, but when the initial post was so
obviously by a troll, you're lucky you didn't find yourself
in the middle of a recipe exchange (which is how we usually
deal with trolls, here).

Some
of the responses here make me wonder whether Cliff has a point.

There you've lost me! Who or what is "Cliff"? (The reason
for quoting the messages when you respond is so others
beside yourself have some glimmer of an idea what you're
talking about.)

Old January 20th 05, 01:37 PM
JBHajos

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:03:27 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

There you've lost me! Who or what is "Cliff"?

"Cliff" is the troll who started the whole thing.

Jeanne
Old January 20th 05, 03:34 PM
Adrian

KellyH wrote:
"catlvr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this site a "google" news group,
so doesn't it stand to reason that google would be the logical
choice for posting?

No, it's Usenet, an entity unto itself. Google is just one way to
access it, and they have taken over from DejaNews the task of Keeper
of the Usenet Archives. There are probably thousands of news servers
out there. Most people use the one provided by their ISP (Comcast,
Verizon, etc) or there are alternative servers like Individual.Net.
You can use a number of different newsreaders to read and post to
Usenet. Some examples are Outlook Express or Free Agent.

I don't know of any other way - but if there is a better way I'd like
to know. I do find the sequencing of messages a bit confusing.

I prefer to use OE just because I'm so used to it. A lot of people
don't like it because it's Microsoft and can be vulnerable to viruses
if you aren't careful. I've never gotten a virus because I do not
download attachments from the ng's and am always up-to-date on my
antivirus software.

And how did we get from "cat women turn me off" to this subject? Some
of the responses here make me wonder whether Cliff has a point.

Topics drift. It happens.

Hence the reason I'll read a thread even if the title seams irrelevent,
you never know how a thread will turn out.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 20th 05, 05:49 PM
catlvr

You're right - I have never posted on a newsgroup until just a week or
so ago. I must say, the intelligence level here is *much* higher here
than on most chat rooms, but so is the level of hostility, for some
reason. I'll think I'll stick to the chat rooms. Life's too short for
feeling angry, as some of the respondents here apparently are.
I'm going to go and play with my cats.

Old January 20th 05, 06:39 PM
Cat Protector

I would check out the Cat Galaxy Forum and the Cat Fancy message board. Not
much hostility on those two and people actually can talk cats without the
fear of attacks. BTW, even chat rooms have hostile people.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"catlvr" wrote in message
ups.com...
You're right - I have never posted on a newsgroup until just a week or
so ago. I must say, the intelligence level here is *much* higher here
than on most chat rooms, but so is the level of hostility, for some
reason. I'll think I'll stick to the chat rooms. Life's too short for
feeling angry, as some of the respondents here apparently are.
I'm going to go and play with my cats.

Cat women turn me off [email protected] Cat anecdotes 174 January 25th 05 01:42 AM
Sleep Yowie Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 04 11:53 PM
Turn $6.00 into $6,000.00 JmSpring6 Cat anecdotes 2 August 30th 04 04:56 PM
Turn $6.00 into $6,000.00 JmSpring6 Cat community 1 August 30th 04 04:54 PM
Women and cats Ted Davis Cats - misc 197 June 29th 04 05:21 AM