found my cat after 3 weeks 2 days ( problems)

Old August 25th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default found my cat after 3 weeks 2 days ( problems)

RHA via CatKB.com wrote:
Hey Rhonda , He ended up eating tuna in water last night , and again today
which is good. So he basically went about 2 days and thats if he didnt eat
the tuna in the trap. I called the vet today and she told me if he did" nt
look to be injured then to just let him calm down for a day or so . But after
reading posts tonight i will make appointment tomaro . He seems calm now but
im giveing him his space.

Cats will revert to being feral in as little as two weeks.
Take him to the vet, and then just have patience with him.
Buy him some high-quality canned food, and feed him that - tuna is not
a good choice as cat good.

-L.

Old August 25th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Johnna via CatKB.com

I'm so glad to hear that kitty has eaten. Cats are resilient creatures. I
know from experience that it can sometimes be a long process to restore trust
in a cat who has experienced some sort of trauma. I agree with the others
that you should have him checked out by a vet sooner than later. Changes to a
cat's temperment and eating habits is often the only sign that a cat is sick
or injured. It is safer for them in the wild to hide signs of
illness/weakness. This is an instinct that is helpful in the wild but makes
it very hard to detect signs of health trouble. Once your boy has a clean
bill of health you should go on giving him a little time and space to come
around. I noticed that you are reading in a nearby room. That's a nice idea.
This will sound a bit ridiculous but I found it helpful to bond with one of
my rescue kitties by reading out loud in a soft voice or singing softly
nearby. Your soft voice may calm him and help him to become reaquianted with
your voice. If you're reading already, why not read out loud. You'll probably
feel a little silly at first (I know I did) but it really helped with my
kitty. Also, I also found it helpful to place a soft t shirt or something
I've worn in her kitty bed. I read that it would help her to become familiar
with my scent and come to associate it with feeling safe. Sounds silly but it
really worked for us. Good luck!
Johnna