Little Presents

Old July 31st 03, 11:38 PM
Bill Henderson

Default Little Presents

Hi

I am not a cat lover. I like having it about the place but it is a cat and
only a cat.

I got the cat from a cat shelter to help deal with my mouse infestation.
Great success - no more mice. The cat is shy and is uncomfortable with
strangers. It is, however, comfortable with me.

The problem is that it has started to bring me wee presents; namely voles.
Although flattered by its consideration I don't want dead body parts
littering up my carpets. How do I discourage this?

I have tried explaining the situation from my point of view but the cat just
walks away from me. I know that physical punishment does not work with cats.
Please help.

Bill

Old July 31st 03, 11:53 PM
bewtifulfreak

"Bill Henderson" wrote in message

The problem is that it has started to bring me wee presents; namely voles.
Although flattered by its consideration I don't want dead body parts
littering up my carpets. How do I discourage this?

I think it's going to be hard if you got the cat to deal with mice; what I
use with my cat is a beeping, flashing collar that I got here in UK, so you
should be able to find it somewhere, but that might well defeat the object
if you got the cat as a mouser. Other than that, I have no idea how you'd
encourage the cat to get rid of mice but not bring in voles, though if the
mouse problem has cleared up enough, then I'd definitely recommend the
collar, as it's worked wonders in reducing the amount of presents I'm
blessed with.

Ann

Old August 1st 03, 04:34 AM
Judy

"Bill Henderson" wrote in message
Hi

I am not a cat lover. I like having it about the place but it is a cat and
only a cat.

I got the cat from a cat shelter to help deal with my mouse infestation.
Great success - no more mice. The cat is shy and is uncomfortable with
strangers. It is, however, comfortable with me.

The problem is that it has started to bring me wee presents; namely voles.
Although flattered by its consideration I don't want dead body parts
littering up my carpets. How do I discourage this?

How are these wee presents being brought in?

Old August 2nd 03, 10:04 AM
Bill Henderson

"Judy" wrote in message

"Bill Henderson" wrote in message
Hi

I am not a cat lover. I like having it about the place but it is a cat

and
only a cat.

I got the cat from a cat shelter to help deal with my mouse infestation.
Great success - no more mice. The cat is shy and is uncomfortable with
strangers. It is, however, comfortable with me.

The problem is that it has started to bring me wee presents; namely

voles.
Although flattered by its consideration I don't want dead body parts
littering up my carpets. How do I discourage this?

How are these wee presents being brought in?

The cat has free access via a catflap. It comes and goes as it wants.

Since yesterday there has been a very unpleasant smell about the house and I
can't find the source. Perhaps she's progressed onto something bigger than
mice and voles!

At least the warm weather ( mid to high teens Celsius) allows me to keep
the windows open.

Bill

Old August 5th 03, 10:57 PM
Judy

"Bill Henderson" wrote in message
Perhaps the way to discourage this would be to close the flap? :c)

Judy

I think that would be a little cruel at this stage; suddenly to deprive it
of access to the house. Besides it has to get into the house to deter mice
from taking up residence in the winter.

Bill

I'm not suggesting you deprive her access. How about letting her in and out
the old fashioned way? I've been opening and closing the front door to my
cat for ages. It would take some adjustment from both sides, but it's an
idea.

Anyway - best of luck with finding a solution.

Judy