Great new kitty litter!

Old August 11th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Great new kitty litter!

Well, new to me, anyway. I was in my pet food store about a week ago,
having a conversation with another customer about sifting litterboxes.
I think I mentioned here when I first got it a few months ago. I have
been less than happy with it, although it's nobody's fault - it just
doesn't work in my household, because somebody's pee doesn't clump. It
turns to sludge (think: wet cement - very *smelly* wet cement) at the
bottom of the litter box. With the sifter, the sludge just got stuck in
all the holes, which was almost impossible to clean. Much more of a pain
than simply using the regular scooper.

Anyway, I was complaining about this to the other customer, and a
store clerk overheard me, and he stepped in and recommended that I try
using the litter they sell for mechanical litterboxes (Littermaid, etc).

The stuff is much more fine than the regular litter I've used. So the
kitties don't track it as much. (Or maybe they do, but the grains are
so fine that I can't see them. ) It's also a lot less dusty than the
other litter, so I'm thinking that might mean the cats are breathing
less of that. But the best part: everyone's pee clumps!!! No sludge!
No small pieces breaking away and then mixing with the clean litter!
Almost no odor! I've had the same litter in the box for a week, and so
far, I don't smell anything. The old litter would start to smell within
a few days of a fresh change. It's so easy to scoop. And it must feel
nicer to little kitty feets, because it's so fine and smooth, instead
of like walking on little sharp pebbles.

It's a lot more expensive - about twice as much per box as the other
kind. On the other hand, if things continue as they have so far, I will
need to buy it far less frequently, so it might come out more or less
the same. I think each box contains a bit more of the litter, also.

Joyce - a happy customer! ^..^

Old August 11th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

AZ Nomad wrote:

With those sifting litterboxes, there's no reason to let the litter
clump into the sifter.

Instead of stacking it pan/pan/sifter with the sifter on top, Stack them
pan/sifter/pan. When it's time to clean up, pour the contents of the top
pan into the pan/sifter then lift the sifter to remove the slumps.

"Slumps", I like that. That's kind of what I'd get: sludgey clumps. Slumps!

That's not a bad idea in terms of the stacking order, although with this
litter, it might be a non-issue. So far, I've gotten *clumps*, not slumps.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 11th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote

| It's a lot more expensive - about twice as much per box as the other
| kind.

You neglected to inform us of the name of this wonderful litter.... and I
for one would like to know it!

Old August 12th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

wrote

It's a lot more expensive - about twice as much per box as the other
kind.

You neglected to inform us of the name of this wonderful litter.... and I
for one would like to know it!

The reason for that is that I'm not sure how widely available it is. I
have only ever seen it sold at a small and very local chain store called
Pet Food Express. It might be their store brand. I suppose they might
do mail order, but would you really want to buy cat litter by mail? LOL,
the postage would cost more than the litter.

Anyway, it's called "Smart Litter". There are several kinds. The regular,
basic stuff, one called "odor control", one called "multi-cat", an "organic"
one, and maybe a couple of others. They're all clumping litters. I had
never noticed the "mechanical litterbox" kind before. It's quite different
from the others, as I mentioned in my last post.

I'm sure other brands make a litter for automated litterboxes, so you
could look into that.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 12th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote
| Pat wrote:
|
| wrote
|
| It's a lot more expensive - about twice as much per box as the other
| kind.
|
| You neglected to inform us of the name of this wonderful litter.... and
| for one would like to know it!
|
| The reason for that is that I'm not sure how widely available it is. I
| have only ever seen it sold at a small and very local chain store called
| Pet Food Express. It might be their store brand. I suppose they might
| do mail order, but would you really want to buy cat litter by mail? LOL,
| the postage would cost more than the litter.
|
| Anyway, it's called "Smart Litter". There are several kinds. The regular,
| basic stuff, one called "odor control", one called "multi-cat", an
"organic"
| one, and maybe a couple of others. They're all clumping litters. I had
| never noticed the "mechanical litterbox" kind before. It's quite different
| from the others, as I mentioned in my last post.
|
| I'm sure other brands make a litter for automated litterboxes, so you
| could look into that.

Is this the one?
http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfoo...id=23&pid=1664

Old August 12th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

wrote

Anyway, it's called "Smart Litter".

Is this the one?
http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfoo...id=23&pid=1664

That's the one. Hmm, you know, it's not really much more expensive
than the litters I've been buying previously, by the same company. I
usually bought 15lb bags for about $10 each, and the one showing on
the site you found is $10.99 for a 15lb bag, so just a dollar more.
I paid $17.99 for the box I bought, but it was a 25-lb box! That makes
me feel a lot better.

I really like Pet Food Express in general. They sell a lot of high-end
pet food there, and I've been buying a good brand for my guys over the
past year and a half or so. Because the premium brands are very costly,
the store has a "buy 3 get one free" policy for most foods and litters,
and probably some other stuff, too. I once did the math, and I found
out that, given the discount, the difference in what I was paying for
the premium food vs. Friskies was about $.30 a can more - well worth it!

Also, this is the store where they have a kitty adoption every Sunday
with a local feral rescue group. Those are the folks who rescued Everett,
the kitty I fostered earlier this year. (I just saw him yesterday when
I stopped by there - he still hasn't been adopted. ) Whenever I buy
some stuff in the store to donate to the rescue group, the store gives
me a good discount. So I like the way they do business, they seem to be
very community-minded.

Apologies to all who are bored by the extreme local-ness of this post...

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 12th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote

| Apologies to all who are bored by the extreme local-ness of this post...

No need. I just want to find a local dealer of the stuff - preferably one
that has a "buy 3, get one free" deal.

Old August 12th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
Pat wrote:

wrote

[...]

LitterMaid, for one, although I've not yet used that. And I recently
discovered one called "Ever Clean" (Extra Strength) which is the best
I've used for my LitterMaid, although it's rather expensive. Only
trouble is, I can no longer handle anything heavier than a 14 lb.
container, and my PetsMart is discontinuing the smaller size, so I'm not
sure what I'll be using, once I use up the four boxes which were all
PetsMart had remaining in stock, last time I was there.

Great cat litter scoop MaryL Cat health & behaviour 14 January 17th 06 06:37 PM
great kitty pics Pat Cat anecdotes 0 September 23rd 05 02:39 PM
great kitty photoshopping Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 1 August 22nd 05 12:45 PM
Great kitty progress ceb Cat health & behaviour 46 October 16th 04 07:16 PM
SEE PIC of My Great EYE EYED KITTY :) CuteKittys Cat health & behaviour 26 March 23rd 04 05:38 AM