The personal experiences of a former no-kill shelter worker

Old August 16th 04, 08:28 PM
Kay

Default The personal experiences of a former no-kill shelter worker

Well its been awhile. And We haqve our solutuion of Feral cats here. My
brother's buddy works for the railroad. He was over visiting. I told him
about th eferal cats and the name calling here. He said that a buddy
from work has a group offeral cats he cares for right by my house!

We called him and we were able to go to the place where the cats are,
you ahve to have clearance to go to rail yards. If you attempt to walk
back there scurity will be called.

Any how I saw where they get fed, and thier shelters. I invited him over
and he read this thread. He said people who judge those who do not know
ruin it for ferals. They are more trouble then help. By the end of the
week, we drew up a written agreement that he can come onto my property
and trap any feral cats, I can take care of stray and ferla kittens and
not mess withhis feral group. We have come to a happy ending in spite of
being called names. I feel for those new tp cats who just simply don't
know the right question and get flamed.

Kay

Old August 18th 04, 05:10 PM
Fan

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:28:46 GMT, Kay wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you arrived at a solution that works for everyone. A lot of
the people on these groups spend all their energy talking instead of
doing something about the problems. You are actually doing something
about a problem and I applaud you for that.

I hope that you are having the stray and feral kittens that you feed
spayed/neutered. It is important to do that to work towards reducing
the problem. You probably mentioned that in a previous post, but there
are too many to keep track of, lol.

One of the reasons that I started this thread was because there are
those who were saying untrue things about the various problems. From
what I read of their posts, most of the people who where so strong in
their beliefs were not actually doing anything, they were only
criticizing those who were doing something. All talk, no action.

It is easy to sit on the sidelines and yell that those who are
participating are doing it wrong. It is much harder to actually get in
there and do something to try to help the problem.

I can respect those who believe differently than I do. I can not
respect those who criticize my efforts when they, themselves, do
nothing but talk.

I have decided that euthanasia is necessary, at this time, no matter
how much I hate it. The same thing applies to war, among other things.
It is terrible, but sometimes it is the best of the possible choices.

You have found out that it is a bit of work to get anything done. It
is also an ongoing commitment. You have put out the effort to make a
positive difference. It is too bad that others don't follow your
example and get off their lazy butts, stop criticizing others who are
actually doing something, and doing something of value themselves.

On a side note, I also started a thread on shelters that practice
euthanasia versus the so-called "no kill" shelters. I found the same
thing on that thread that I have seen so many times before. The people
who are so against the regular shelters will discuss the issue for a
little while. Then, when I say that they have not answered my
questions, they start to change the subject. I keep repeating my
questions and they give answers that don't apply to the question. Then
they disappear. They are talking the talk, but they can't (or won't)
walk the walk.

I challenge those who think that they are so correct to actually do
some things. Volunteer at a shelter, volunteer to help a group that is
taking care of ferals, volunteer to help a Trap Alter Release group.
Do something besides criticizing those who are doing the work that you
are too lazy to do.

Until you are an active, and ongoing, part of the solution, your
criticism has a very hollow ring to it. Taking in one stray every five
years doesn't qualify a person as a rescuer. Spend a few hours every
week for a few months and I'll have a lot more respect for your
opinions. I'd also have more respect for your opinions if you would
stop changing the subject when you don't have a valid answer to the
question at hand.

Again, Kay, on behalf of the animals, thank you for being a part of
the solution.

Old August 19th 04, 04:46 AM
Kay

Fan wrote:
[...]

I am very lucky, the man has records of his group on who was fixed and
who needs to be. Friday morning I'm taking in a kitten in. I found a vet
who will charge me 75.00 as long as I take him/her home and watch and
care for them, if there is a probelm I can call him. He will not fix a
cat on the weekend he has sundays off. the man his name is Mick, is
advising me on what to do, how to care and the right steps for the cat.
He even drawed up a contract that gives him rights to enter my property
and inspect the place where I feed them, put up his traps and enter and
exit the property when he needs to. If I'm not home he has access to my
water supply, and shed for storage or to retrive things he might need in
the field since I live closer to the group than him.

One of the reasons that I started this thread was because there are
those who were saying untrue things about the various problems. From
what I read of their posts, most of the people who where so strong in
their beliefs were not actually doing anything, they were only
criticizing those who were doing something. All talk, no action.

since you started the thread, I have learned so much. I think it was the
spring board to look for more info. I have to throw out thanks for the
people who posted the urls also. With this thread, the urls, and the
information, it seems as if meeting this neighbor all fell into the
right place, because I know more before I met him and am learning more
every day.

I forgot to mention we have radios. My husband brought home a unit of 12
walkie talkies from a company. and they work perfect, so Mick has a
radio and charger and others so we can keep in touch. My husband has the
biggest heart and he did start this part of it.

I have decided that euthanasia is necessary, at this time, no matter
how much I hate it. The same thing applies to war, among other things.
It is terrible, but sometimes it is the best of the possible choices.

I agree that it is nessary, and I hate it to.

You have found out that it is a bit of work to get anything done. It
is also an ongoing commitment. You have put out the effort to make a
positive difference. It is too bad that others don't follow your
example and get off their lazy butts, stop criticizing others who are
actually doing something, and doing something of value themselves.

Yes work, and planning your day around the cats. I'm new to it, am
committed and am very lucky to have others here that have the know how.
I have read alot but talking with someone with hands on training helped
so much also.

On a side note, I also started a thread on shelters that practice
euthanasia versus the so-called "no kill" shelters. I found the same
thing on that thread that I have seen so many times before. The people
who are so against the regular shelters will discuss the issue for a
little while. Then, when I say that they have not answered my
questions, they start to change the subject. I keep repeating my
questions and they give answers that don't apply to the question. Then
they disappear. They are talking the talk, but they can't (or won't)
walk the walk.

It must be frustrating to you. Because there are those that want to just
win a debate or an arguement then go away with a false sense of victory
and in the end do nothing about the topic.

I am new and I'm not walking away. And I don't want to argue. It feels
as if my eyes were opened. As I learned more here and on websites, doors
were opening up in my neighborhood. Call it fate, But I call it prayers
answered.

I challenge those who think that they are so correct to actually do
some things. Volunteer at a shelter, volunteer to help a group that is
taking care of ferals, volunteer to help a Trap Alter Release group.
Do something besides criticizing those who are doing the work that you
are too lazy to do.

Until you are an active, and ongoing, part of the solution, your
criticism has a very hollow ring to it. Taking in one stray every five
years doesn't qualify a person as a rescuer. Spend a few hours every
week for a few months and I'll have a lot more respect for your
opinions. I'd also have more respect for your opinions if you would
stop changing the subject when you don't have a valid answer to the
question at hand.

I had no idea until I jumped in. I still don't have half an inkling. Its
such a emotional thing also, I just want to keep them all , but its not
possible. It hurts the heart, and I think it will be a roller coaster of
emotion. I really didn't know about the emotions that people who work
with the animals go through. I feel foolish re reading my previous
posts. I feel that my previous posts had a hollow ring to it.

Again, Kay, on behalf of the animals, thank you for being a part of
the solution.

Thank you, I have to say in my situtation that without Mick I would
still be lost. My thanks goes to him, he is a bigger part of the
solution. I only hope to learn more and more from the NGs. the Urls and
Mick.

Kay