animal question

Old December 21st 11, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default animal question

i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the chance
to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and besides getting
another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it for one of us kids
to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

Old December 21st 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the
chance to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and
besides getting another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it
for one of us kids to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

I suspect it's different for everybody. Obviously, if one isn't able to
take care of them, that would be a sign. Moving into assisted living might
or might not be an indicator. I know of at least a couple assisted living
places where pets are allowed. I can understand about traveling. I travel
enough that I won't have a dog. Cats don't like to be left, but the ones
I've had don't grieve the way most dogs do if you leave them for an extended
period. I probably wouldn't have cats either, but my next door neighbors
are good about looking after my cats when I go away.

Joy

Old December 21st 11, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

that is actually why i asked, many assisted living places allow one or two
cats, one or two small dogs, otoh a bird is always welcome... then again
general health and need/wanting to travel is also not only a comfort
situation for the animal but the pet sitter might be that little added
expense that might limit travel... i don't ever not want a pet, but i also
don't want to put one in the situation of being pts for the crime of owning
a human that passed away, Lee
"Joy" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 21st 11, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Storrmmee" wrote:
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the chance
to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and besides getting
another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it for one of us kids
to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

I thought my great aunt was too old when, at 80, she got a new kitten. I
was happily surprised how long they both lived. My great aunt lasted
another 20 years, the kitten 23. He went to live with her son's
stepdaughter.
--
Adrian
Old December 21st 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy
when i rescued him...

Yeah, parrots are known for longevity. 70, even 80 or more years.

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the
chance to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and
besides getting another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it
for one of us kids to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

As Joy said, there's no set time or age. It's a matter of being able to
care for them. If they want to travel they probably shouldn't get a pet.
Boarding is no fun. JMHO.

Jill

Old December 21st 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-12-21 2:33 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the chance
to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and besides getting
another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it for one of us kids
to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

When you're physically incapable of looking after it, and you don't live
with someone who can fill in, I suppose.

I've known someone who didn't get a new puppy when the previous dog had
to be put down because they were no longer physically able to deal with
the walking and training of a young, vigorous puppy. And I've known
someone who said that her elderly father got a new lease on life after
being widowed from the gift of a young dog. It got them both out of the
house and gives the human an interest in life.

I expect that if the elderly human doesn't outlive the dog, the
daughter, who lives next door and loves dogs, will take him in.

--
Cheryl
Old December 21st 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

I thought my great aunt was too old when, at 80, she got a new kitten. I
was happily surprised how long they both lived. My great aunt lasted
another 20 years, the kitten 23. He went to live with her son's
stepdaughter.

Wow! That's pretty amazing. For both of them!

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.