Dewey Library Cat RIP

Old December 4th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default Dewey Library Cat RIP

Dewey Readmore Books, the 19-year-old library cat of Spencer, Iowa,
has gone to RB.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2694249

I think all libraries should have cats. When I worked at the New York
Public Library, some of the cat people on staff would fantasize about
having kitties walking around the library, rubbing against patron's
legs, but it was never the kind of place that would permit that.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Old December 4th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

Dewey Readmore Books, the 19-year-old library cat of Spencer, Iowa,
has gone to RB.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2694249

Aww! Sad. But it sounds like he had a good life, other than breing
dumped into a book drop in sub-zero (aka below -18C) weather!

I think all libraries should have cats. When I worked at the New York
Public Library, some of the cat people on staff would fantasize about
having kitties walking around the library, rubbing against patron's
legs, but it was never the kind of place that would permit that.

I personally would love to see cats in all sorts of public places. But
I do have sympathy for people who have severe allergies to cats. Having
a cat live in a public library does make the library off-limits to those
folks, which isn't fair to them. Maybe if they had some cat-free rooms
set aside for allergic people to hang out in, it wouldn't be too bad...

Joyce
Old December 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gennie

Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...

http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

Gennie

Old December 5th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Gennie wrote:
Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...

http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

Gennie

Rusty looks just like Dewy, except maybe with less white fur on the
chest.

Winnie

Old December 5th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gennie wrote:

Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...
http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

What a gorgeous fluffball!!

You should also go to Dewey's own page (part of the library site) -
here's the link:

http://www.spencerlibrary.com/deweybio.htm

Be sure to look at the postcard pictures (that's a link on that page).
It's amazing that a cat would pose so perfectly like that! What a ham!!

Also check out the "Dewey as a supervisor" link - lots of very cute
photos there.

The only sour note in all of it is the fact that they had him declawed.
Seems like he wasn't one of those cats who had an adverse psychological
reaction, but I always hate to hear about that.

Joyce
Old December 5th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Gennie wrote:
Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...

http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

I'm so sad to read he was declawed. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old December 5th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:36:30 -0000, "Adrian A"
yodeled:

Gennie wrote:
Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...

http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

I'm so sad to read he was declawed. :-(

I would suspect that was a requirement of the town council, or a move
to avert liability.

I hope people don't misunderstand what I'm going to say next.
When I think of what a small child can inadvertantly inflict on a
cat, and how indignant parents are when their children are scratched--
I would say-- in this one particular case-- it could have been a wise
move. If some kid was accidentally scratched, I can easily envision
parents and the public being out for poor Dewey's blood.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old December 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

I hope people don't misunderstand what I'm going to say next.
When I think of what a small child can inadvertantly inflict on a
cat, and how indignant parents are when their children are scratched--
I would say-- in this one particular case-- it could have been a wise
move. If some kid was accidentally scratched, I can easily envision
parents and the public being out for poor Dewey's blood.

I do understand what you mean. That was my thought, too.

Didn't anyone go to Dewey's own site? It's full of great photos! I posted
the link in my previous post in this thread.

Joyce
Old December 5th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Adrian A" wrote in message
Gennie wrote:
Here is a site with pics of dear Dewey...

http://www.shopcat.com/spencerlib/dewey.htm

I'm so sad to read he was declawed. :-(
--

My sister-in-law used to be the administrator for a nursing home. Nearly
every wing in each floor had its own resident cat. They were all kittens

While it is sad that they had to go through the procedure, in exchange they
got a life time on constant laps and scritches. Plenty of beds to choose
from. The very best of medical and personal care and food. New disposable
litter boxes twice a day.

They were the softest, gentlest cats I've ever seen in my life.

Jo

Library Cat Adrian Cat anecdotes 22 March 13th 05 11:43 PM
Toilet Training update Mischief Cat anecdotes 64 March 21st 04 12:12 AM