My cat won't stop begging for food

Old July 11th 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

Default My cat won't stop begging for food

It's all in the subject title. To give you a feel for things, my cat
will beg (cry, poke at me, search the trash for food) as soon as I get
home. I give him a 3oz can of gravy-lovers food, and a bowl of hard
food, and he licks up all the gravy in the first and takes a nibble
from the second, then comes back and cries, pokes and searches,
again. If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

He is now up to 14 lbs, and I refuse to give him more until his late
night feeding, but this goes on all day AND NIGHT. He wakes me at
least 3 times a night. I can't see why he wants more food when he
leaves so much behind.

What do I do? I'm really frantic about this.
Old July 11th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dom:
He is now up to 14 lbs, and I refuse to give him more until his late
night feeding, but this goes on all day AND NIGHT. He wakes me at
least 3 times a night. I can't see why he wants more food when he
leaves so much behind.

Ours has strong likes/dislikes food-wise. The wrong brand
and/or the wrong flavor and it won't touch the stuff. I'm
guessing that even though two brands may say they're the same
thing, the contents may be very different in terms of flavor,
quality, freshness... or whatever.

Anyhow, it has us trained to buy the right stuff and give the
wrong stuff to our #1 daughter whose barn cats aren't so picky
if/when we make a mistake shopping.

But that does not address the overeating thing.

Neither does this, but I'll throw it in: at night, we lock ours
in the downstairs rec room where it can stay there or go into the
garage and/or crawl space. Improves the quality of our sleep
significantly.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 11th 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Jul 11, 11:09*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Dom:

[...]

Can you suggest any brands? I use only fancy feast, but for him I get
Gravy Lovers Fancy Feast, since he licks the gravy.
Old July 11th 12, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Dom" wrote in message
[...]

Dom you may want to try some of the cheap stuff not on a permanent basis
but the more stinker it is the more my furballs love it. I only use the
same as you 99% of the time since I have a gravy eater also

Also how much play time do you have with them You need to wear them out on
a schedule. Also there are times when I am so exhausted that I do close my
bedroom door which is seldom. If you have to close them out of the door and
if they keep scratching at the door a good training item is keep them away
from a closed door is a blow dryer in a remote control

Old July 11th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dom:
Can you suggest any brands? I use only fancy feast, but for him I get
Gravy Lovers Fancy Feast, since he licks the gravy.

We use Fancy Feast too.

But my take is that it's a cat-by-cat thing and, in your place, I
would buy a can of this, a can of that, a bag of this, a bag of
that (i.e. wet and dry) and see what goes down and what does not.

Also, internationally-acclaimed animal behaviorist that I am (NOT
!!!!) I was thinking maybe the food craving thing could actually
attention craving.

I bought a cat brush a few years ago: wire bristles on one side,
plastic on the other.

In the beginning, I'd lose blood if I even tried to brush it.

Gradually, it has become habituated to brushing and my technique
has been modified as I perceive improvement for the cat.

We are now to the point that when I'm in the rec room trying to
get work done on the PC, the cat is continually bugging me (loud,
plaintive meows) to brush it and it seems to *really* enjoy the
process.

If I had saved all the hair I've combed out of this thing, I
could probably find some back-to-basics type that spins their own
yarn and have a cat-hair sweater made.... -)

3-4 sessions, and it backs off... but I have to wonder if
attention isn't at the root of it all and maybe chasing a laser
pointer would be just as effective.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 11th 12, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dom

On Jul 11, 12:52*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Dom:

[...]

Well, I've noticed one thing. When I lie on the sofa, and let him
assume his favorite position (on my chest) he stops his crying. And
he HATES it when I'm at the computer, like he's competing. So maybe
you're right.

Thanks, Pete and Mathew. Gives me something to work with.

Dom
Old July 12th 12, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Dom wrote:
If I had saved all the hair I've combed out of this thing, I
could probably find some back-to-basics type that spins their own
yarn and have a cat-hair sweater made.... -)

I used to know a lady who did that with her two Belgian Sheppards. She saved
up the hair she got from brushing them, and sent it off to some guy who
could spin it into wool, and then she knitted herself a sweater out of
it..... It looked pretty good, too.....

Old July 11th 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_4_]

On 07/11/2012 08:54 AM, Dom wrote:
It's all in the subject title. To give you a feel for things, my cat
will beg (cry, poke at me, search the trash for food) as soon as I get
home. I give him a 3oz can of gravy-lovers food, and a bowl of hard
food, and he licks up all the gravy in the first and takes a nibble
from the second, then comes back and cries, pokes and searches,
again. If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

He is now up to 14 lbs, and I refuse to give him more until his late
night feeding, but this goes on all day AND NIGHT. He wakes me at
least 3 times a night. I can't see why he wants more food when he
leaves so much behind.

What do I do? I'm really frantic about this.

A visit to TED is in order for a thyroid check. Best wishes. MLB
Old July 12th 12, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Dom wrote:
It's all in the subject title. To give you a feel for things, my cat
will beg (cry, poke at me, search the trash for food) as soon as I get
home. I give him a 3oz can of gravy-lovers food, and a bowl of hard
food, and he licks up all the gravy in the first and takes a nibble
from the second, then comes back and cries, pokes and searches,
again. If I give him more, he repeats the pattern. He leaves all the
food in the bowl, but still wants more.

He is now up to 14 lbs, and I refuse to give him more until his late
night feeding, but this goes on all day AND NIGHT. He wakes me at
least 3 times a night. I can't see why he wants more food when he
leaves so much behind.

What do I do? I'm really frantic about this.

If he's your only cat, and an indoor cat, then don't feed him for a day or
two until he's really hungry, and then just geve him a little bit so he will
eat it all before you give him any more. In my case, I have one who weighs
about 30 lbs, and stuffs himself to the point of throwing up. but I keep
putside cats and I have five of them, so they all share an infinite supply
of kibbles plus they eat each others food when its first eater walks away
from it. so I don't know how to keep "Biggie" from eating.

Old July 12th 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

If he's your only cat, and an indoor cat, then don't feed him for a
day or two until he's really hungry, and then just geve him a little
bit so he will eat it all before you give him any more. In my case, I
have one who weighs about 30 lbs, and stuffs himself to the point of
throwing up. but I keep putside cats and I have five of them, so they
all share an infinite supply of kibbles plus they eat each others food
when its first eater walks away from it. so I don't know how to keep
"Biggie" from eating.

A 30 lb. cat! That's a big cat!